Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2020 Berry Report
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 7:19 am 
Bumper crop out along the PCT on Miner's Ridge. Hit and miss for the rest of the similar elevation areas. Some really nice pockets of fat berries, other bushes nearby with only little berries or drying out already.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am 
Any updates to this thread? Are there still huckleberries out there to be had? My usual spot is closed due to fires. Any help appreciated. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 am 
We found a good crop above 5000 near crystal last weekend... now inside the fire closure. this weekend we didnt get up quite that high near snoq pass, and found nothing.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:22 pm 
I was snacking on them this weekend while mountain biking in N Idaho. In some patches they are beginning to get a little drier and some were a bit "wine-y" but there were still plenty of nice ones to be had if one was looking to pick some for taking home.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:45 pm 
Cut-Leaf (Evergreen) blackberries (Rubus Laciniatus) are getting ripe out on the coast and on the west side of the Olympics. Evergreen huckleberry (Vaccinium Ovatum) is just starting to get ripe down at Pt. Defiance, but there doesn't seem to be a bumper crop right now.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 pm 
Benchmark Mountain and environs, oh so good!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 10:15 pm 
Hiked up Pugh today and very few berries were found and they were bitter. Everything is late this year so hopefully things will improve. I just returned from North Idaho and the berries there were awesome and plentiful, people are selling a gallon there for 50 bucks. I picked about a half gallon to have for Huckleberry Daquiries. souse.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
pipedream

pipedream
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 1:09 am 
Bashed thru the brush to the top of Keekwulee Falls this evening and found plentiful ripe blueberries. So they're happening at least up as high as 3200' and the heat of the past few weeks should be ripening them quickly. Hopefully they get a nice wash tonight/tomorrow and then boom towards the alpine

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 8:00 pm 
Found some nice ones today on the Thornton lakes trail about 1-2 miles in, enjoying a Daquiri as we speak. But damn that road sucks, especially on the way up to the TH. Lot was pretty much full to capacity at 1030 am, but still two spots up front, maybe 10-12 cars total.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 pm 
Daquiri? You getting soft on us CJ? Have resorted to riding the bike this week. Slow going due to due to the frequent blackberry stops.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 12, 2020 12:43 pm 
Well, I do like a fruity drink once in a while, got started on them in Idaho, where the resorts sell a lot of the huck daquiris...I switched to rum and coke after a couple. Thanks for the reminder on the blackberries, need to head down to the flatlands and harvest a few.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 7:20 pm 
I have a couple of red huckleberry plants at home. Will the big berry ones grow in low elevation Puget Sound? Do they need the deep snow to produce berries? Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Aug 15, 2020 8:25 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I have a couple of red huckleberry plants at home. Will the big berry ones grow in low elevation Puget Sound? Do they need the deep snow to produce berries? Best.
We planted some last year, but didnt get any berries this year. It seems to be growing fine amongst the blueberries. We harvested a gallon of red hucks from our yard this year. It makes a good canned desert topping. Oregon grapes are nowhere near abundant as last year, but there. We made several jars of jelly that came out delicious! Growing to see if we can find some wild berries today.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 15, 2020 10:21 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I have a couple of red huckleberry plants at home. Will the big berry ones grow in low elevation Puget Sound?
Red Huckleberry (Vaccinium Parvifolium) will grow just fine down at sea level. Oregon Grapes are currently prodigiously producing fruit in my mother's yard (in Fircrest), and at Seahurst Park in Burien.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Aug 29, 2020 12:18 pm 
I got back a few days ago from nine days along the Duckabush and Dosewalips rivers, up O'Neil Pass, LaCrosse Basin, and Anderson Pass. We were traveling at a leisurely pace so we had plenty of time to feast on the huckleberries. I have never seen so many berries, even the ground level alpine blueberries were BIG, JUICY, and plentious. In the lower portions of the Duck, the predominant berries were the red variety. As we gained elevation, the blue ones were dominant. Rumi~the huckleberry~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."