Forum Index > Trail Talk > Transition back to cool and wet?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 am 
Obviously, May, June, and more than 1/2 of July was pretty cool and wet. The snowpack at 5500-6000' on north slopes shows that. Current GFS models imply a transition back to cool and wet. Models did overstate the amount of rain in today's weak system, but currently show a good dousing Thursday. After that it shows a day or two of good but relatively cool weather and then 1-2 day periods of wet weather; certainly not backpacking weather. The situation looks much strongest in the Olympics and NW Cascades. The amount of blueberries are phenomenal, but the question might be whether they will ripen without frost especially at elevation especially in that area North.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 9:59 am 
So, we got one week of hot summer, and that's it? One more would be nice. In the last few years, I changed my "best week of the summer" to the last week of July, instead of the first week of August. Totally nailed it this time, but I still want some more mountain summer sunshine.

pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 12:25 pm 
I'm headed over to 11worth to pick-up some bikepacking friends who couldn't get spots for their steeds on the train, I'll try to bring the 90+ degree weather back with me hockeygrin.gif It might be hard to swallow, but Aug. 3rd is when the avg. daily high temperature begins dropping again. Onward to winter we go...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:44 pm 
pipedream wrote:
I'll try to bring the 90+ degree weather back with me
No! Bite me rant.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
pula58

pula58
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm 
I find a hot day way worse than a day with clouds and some showers. The heat just wastes me (and my wife too).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 7:08 pm 
I don’t like the heat either, one reason I don’t like being in north Idaho during July and August when it is typically 10 degrees hotter than here. Give me 65-75 Degrees all the time, perfect!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 am 
Nice steady rain in Seattle today. I'm seeing a few inches of new snow expected at the summit elevation of Mount Baker today, and low snow levels tonight. Seems pretty odd for early August, but I'll take this over smoke!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am 
My brown lawn likes it!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 11:35 am 
I don't like it. Lookin to get back into these hot dusty approaches!! Steep gains thru thick smoke. Sun beatin' down. Pushin' on thru heat exhaustion. Foregoing water to beat that other group to the best campsite at the upper lake.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 2:04 pm 
... competitors dropping on the side of the trail, convulsing in the hot Asgard sun while I take their permits and bag some photos for my TR.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 7:44 pm 
I am afraid my shrubberies are not well after the several days of 100+ last week. The hottest temp was 108. Today I got caught in some nasty gusts of wind while bike riding. I had to dodge a few tumbleweeds that were blowing in the road. Then, it was very strange, the not really tumbleweeds were just floating down from the sky. Something weirdly this way came, I guess. Got home and then we had a quick, hard rain. Just saw one lightning bolt over Nespelem way. I do hope it cools down but we get what we get. The forecast I saw calls for a heat up again on Monday.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities