Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooandLu

MooandLu
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:18 pm 
Headed to Beckler River Road for a car camping weekend with new-to-camping friends. I could not believe how crowded Beckler Road and side roads were--people were crammed in like sardines. I have never seen forest roads that busy with car campers, but I'm new to Washington. We parked and camped at the end of NF-6550, where the bridge is out. There's a small but nice shaded spot along the river to the right. However, because it's at the end of the road, had a LOT of people driving up and turning around. Also 2 groups who parked and walked across the bridge to walk in spots. Would not return to this area due to the popularity. We day-hiked Scorpion Mountain via Johnson Ridge, was a fine hike but completely dry and a lot of forest walking.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 3:17 pm 
Tom wrote:
Paid a visit to barbie's boyfriend with an old friend:
Tom wrote:
If that's who I think it is... well done sir! Well done. ~z

runup

runup
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 7:34 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Tom wrote:
Paid a visit to barbie's boyfriend with an old friend:
Tom wrote:
If that's who I think it is... well done sir! Well done. ~z . .
Indeed! up.gif up.gif

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm 
Ptarmigan Traverse July 25-29 Really lucked out with the weather on this one. The glaciers are all in good shape and there is still a lot of snow. Red Ledge could be interesting by now. Climbed Arts Knoll, Pk 7005, Le Conte, Old Guard, Lizard, Spire Point, and Dome Pk. Did not make it up Spider or Sentinel due to iffy conditions.
Red ledge
Red ledge
Mount Formidable
Mount Formidable
S-F Col
S-F Col
Snowfinger to access Le Conte arm
Snowfinger to access Le Conte arm
Le Conte camp
Le Conte camp
Sinister and Dome
Sinister and Dome
WRLs
WRLs
Dome
Dome
Rapping down Spire Point
Rapping down Spire Point
Glacier Pk.
Glacier Pk.
Dome Summit #2...and I will probably be back again
Dome Summit #2...and I will probably be back again
Indian Head Pk and Pilot Ridge loop August 1-2 Bivied on the west summit of Indian Head. Recommended. Bugs were pretty bad overall but manageable. Not much water on Pilot Ridge between Blue Lk and the N Fork Sauk River. No snow of any significance on this hike.
Glacier above Kololo
Glacier above Kololo
N Fork Sauk
N Fork Sauk
Johnson Mtn. lookout site
Johnson Mtn. lookout site
Sloan & flowers
Sloan & flowers

Silas

Silas
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 7:38 am 
Spent six days hiking Watson-Bacon-Hagan-Blum. Took the route down into Noisy Creek instead of dropping down into Diobsud Lakes. Pretty easy travel up to the summit once we crossed Noisy Creek at about 4300'. Snow conditions were perfect. Only needed crampons for aesthetics. Had some difficulty bushwhacking up to Point 5560 to get around Green Lake. Packraft next time? Spent a night at a lake on the south side of Hagan at around 5300'. Views were swell. Summit of Hagan looked shorter than the peak to the west. Maybe I don't want to know the truth. Old registry up there, which was cool. Spent two nights at Blum Lakes. No fish. Summited Blum for the second time in 3 years. Great peak. Bushwhack back to Baker River Trail was as good as ever. Sad to have missed out on Berdeen Lake, but I think it is possible to make it there in one day if you start from Baker River Trail, head up the Blum route, and sidle over to the Hagan Col from the lowest of the two Blum Lakes.

snoholic

snoholic
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:42 am 
Nice to meet you guys up there. The full traverse has definitely moved up on my to-do list. (But I'll need a full year to forget about that access trail first)

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 12:06 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Ptarmigan Traverse July 25-29
Jake Robinson wrote:
Indian Head Pk and Pilot Ridge loop August 1-2
These both seem worthy of more than a paragraph in the lazy TR thread. No pics?

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 12:32 pm 
MooandLu wrote:
Headed to Beckler River Road for a car camping weekend with new-to-camping friends. I could not believe how crowded Beckler Road and side roads were--people were crammed in like sardines. I have never seen forest roads that busy with car campers, but I'm new to Washington. We parked and camped at the end of NF-6550, where the bridge is out. There's a small but nice shaded spot along the river to the right. However, because it's at the end of the road, had a LOT of people driving up and turning around. Also 2 groups who parked and walked across the bridge to walk in spots. Would not return to this area due to the popularity. We day-hiked Scorpion Mountain via Johnson Ridge, was a fine hike but completely dry and a lot of forest walking.
Living in Sky and going up the Beckler weekly with the virus and many people not working the Beckler is has never been so busy. Like you mentioned people are camping at every spot or potential spot. Some people have been camped up there longer then the USFS allows. Some pretty good sized groups camping together. Probably won't change until Some people get back to work.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 1:22 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Jake Robinson wrote:
Ptarmigan Traverse July 25-29
Jake Robinson wrote:
Indian Head Pk and Pilot Ridge loop August 1-2
These both seem worthy of more than a paragraph in the lazy TR thread. No pics?
Edited the post above to add pics

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 2:36 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Edited the post above to add pics
up.gif Sweet!

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 3:14 pm 
I've been on this abandoned trail/ road thing for a few months... And hikes on the south side of i90. This is new...
With the freeway noise in the background focus is on the trees and what's growing beneath them!
Nice summer color further up!
It seemed evident that Jeepers had pushed to the upper limits of this unused or abandoned logging road. As the alder had been pruned or pushed aside. Thanks!
Eventually the pruning stopped and a mystery unfolded as there was a trench dug and scratches on a tree. At first glance it looked like the scratch marks were caused by delimbing of the tree with a powered saw of some sort. But then I wondered if an animal made these scratches?
The brush beyond wasn't bad...
I did see one snake but I heard many more on this hike. Evidence:
Sooner or later the truck will emerge...
Each time I see it, it seems to look the same although it seems to be listing to the port side?! I climbed up to get a better vantage point:
I chugged a bunch of water for the dry rocky descent with my deer fly companions...
The descent was uneventful and soon I was back to the car after all that steep zig zagging. 2900ish elevation gain. 7'ish miles with some off route investigating. A few beer cans and 103 rifle rounds retrieved. (comment removed) Mostly dry route, drank close to a gallon of water.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:15 am 
You never know what you will find on those abandoned trails, Brucester! I have been staying close to home this week, waiting for news on the birth of my second grandson in Berlin. Took a relaxing walk down the PCT on Tuesday. Encountered a fair number of dayhikers and a few section hikers, but no thru hikers. Also one exhausted trail runner complaining about her knees, coming down from TML. Everyone was very good about social distancing. The bugs were not too bad, thanks to a lovely alpine breeze.
PCT south of Stevens Pass 8/4/20

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:37 am 
I was on the PCT S of Stevens last weekend; my favorite spot is that expanse of hellibore and arnica, though in the past, I didn't ever see the arnica, which later in the season is spent, and the hellibore taller and in bloom. That trail and Boulder River - I never mind seeing other people, because they're always so happy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am 
I love that spot too, Kim. Depending on the time of season there is always something beautiful to look at there. Once when I was returning through, I was fortunate to be able to watch a big cinnamon bear grazing in the meadows high above. Now I look for that bear every time I pass below the meadows in hopes of seeing it again. smile.gif

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 12:06 pm 
Did a small loop Monday - Wednesday in the Chelan Sawtooths. Went in Monday with a couple friends that had to be back Tuesday afternoon. I was planning on leaving Thursday but had a sore foot that wasn't getting better probably in part to an overloaded pack and bailed Wednesday. The three of us spent Monday night at Sunrise Lake. One other hiker came in that afternoon.Weather was good and bugs were just a slight nuisance. After the guys left Tuesday AM I wandered around the lake only to come back and see a marmot n the snow patch where I had stashed over a pound of meat. The critter took off leaving no sign of the bag and a small piece of meat. Tuesday night was beautiful. That day a family of four came in. Very nice family from Snoho. At about 1000 a coyote chorus began in Merchant's basin. It was kind of neat listening to them for a half hour or so. Decided to go ahead and go to Cooney Lake. The foot did not care for the downhill part. Nobody at Cooney. I continued back to the trailhead and have been taking it easy on the foot since. Nice trip. Sunrise has been "busy" to say the least. Trails are very dusty. Tis the season.