Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Annual Winter Blues Thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostSun Nov 14, 2004 3:30 am 
sad gets me real bad. i work nights, 11pm to 7 am, i get home and sleep till 5 pm. i never see the daylight except for my days off, and then its only a little, and its usualy raining. bricks.gif

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostTue Oct 31, 2006 10:16 am 
Last night, a beautiful alpenglow lit up the Cascades. This morning, trees draped in frost shivered in the fog. Now I'm watching golden leaves drop from a backlit sweetgum tree. It's not all bad.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostTue Oct 31, 2006 10:29 am 
I have ADHD never sad always hyper...that is why I am medicated with aderrall 35 mg aday makes me clsoer to normal...although I will never be normal...I hike to much for that....always thinking about other things or 10 things at once...

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Oct 31, 2006 10:58 am 
I don't have SAD but I do use a lightbox. I found it helped me stay awake when I worked nightshift. I might just give it a whirl at home if it get's too dark and gloomy. My cure for the blues is to listen to the blues. wink.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 am 
Damn, people...shouldn't we wait for winter to actually get here before we get da winter blues?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Oct 31, 2006 11:58 am 
Quark wrote:
Anybody here have SAD? It's hitting me real hard so far this year.
sorry to hear. just dream of me, and you will be happy!

Art is an adventure.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Oct 31, 2006 8:41 pm 
Yeah, every time I think of you I laugh so hard I fall off my chair. No winter blues for me this year! I've experiemented and though I might have a bad day here and there (had one last week), overall if I stay active I'm ok. Just got back from looking at mountain bikes. I plan on doing lots of riding this winter; around town, the islands, rails to trails...if the winter is supposed to be sucky for snowshoeing/xc skiing, then I'll ride. Stay active is number 1; number 2: stay off sweets and don't shovel coffee down your throat all afternoon thinking that'll help (it just lets you down that much more). The lows after the highs of sweets and caffeine are too intense during winter if you're prone to winter blues. To keep steady, stay active, and cut back or eliminate sweets and caffiene. I choose to cut back rather than eliminate - that would make me downright suicidal.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jennanik

Jennanik
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 1:56 pm 
Quark wrote:
Anybody here have SAD? It's hitting me real hard so far this year.
Me too. It came on earlier and is worse than normal. For me, it may be because I changed jobs - in my old office I had a South-facing window, but in my new one I don't have any windows. I just got back from a week in WI and MN, where I was in offices with windows. That made a huge difference. I'm planning to get a light box for my office in hopes that it will help. Diet and exercise seem to help me. At this time of year, I crave heavy foods like red meat, cheese, and bread. I try to stick with more fruits, vegetables, tofu and chicken, which is what I generally eat in the summer. I just finished school, so now I have time to exercise during the week. I just need the discipline to do it! I also have to work to keep my sleeping patterns the same all week long. If I don't force myself to get up at the same time every day, I'll sleep for 14 hours and then get up and nap on the couch all day. That just makes things worse. I don't have bad enough symptoms to get prescription medication. I tried St. John's Wort for about a year and it made a small difference, but when I quit taking it I went though terrible withdrawal symptoms. I'm going to stick with the diet/exercise/sleep regimen unless I have a compelling reason to go for something else.

Jen
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 5:34 pm 
It's really rough when your season in the summer! frown.gif