Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Oregon State Parks to add out-of-state camping surcharge for remainder of 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 5:51 pm 
Goal is to raise money and discourage out of state visitors from visiting Oregon. https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/08/oregon-state-parks-to-add-temporary-nonresident-camping-surcharge.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 pm 
Considering that many parts of Oregon are heavily reliant on tourism, that could backfire. But they're grasping at any way to get more revenue: Oregon has seen a 53% drop in revenue, according to NPR's report, the worst in the nation. (No data for NM though, and WY is being very cagey in its reporting.) Meanwhile, whiney WA state is down 7%, one of only 3 states with drops in single digits. We're in a bubble here in King County, folks.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 pm 
I don’t know if this is a good idea or a bad one, but their reasoning is stupid. They want to discourage people from traveling from out of state, and also raise money. Those are exact opposite goals. As one works, the other must equally fail. If people stay away then there will not only be no one paying the extra fees but also less money than before. If people do come, and pay the additional fee, then driving people away will have failed. I’m going to the beach this “weekend” (Sunday thru Wednesday) and Oregon campgrounds like Cape Lookout and Nehalem Bay were practically sold out. I could have gone to Nehalem, there was a cancellation, but I was there less than two months ago and it’s a long drive. So I chose the WA coast, saved money on the camping fee and I’m saving almost half the driving. And that was at the old OR prices. Disclaimer: the campsite savings is mostly because the sites at Nehalem have electricity and the one I chose in WA doesn’t. Better canoeing at the WA coast as well, Humptulips and Hoquiam rivers are excellent. Sorry, Oregon, you just lost a frequent visitor. But good news Oregon, an out of state person isn’t coming. Boo/yay.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 9:24 pm 
Interesting. I wonder why Oregon revenue declined so much more than everywhere else? Is it their tax structure (no sales tax but State income tax and higher property taxes than WA)? Oregon's economy is not as diverse as Washington's. Oregon has done remarkably well with the cornavirus (ranked 45th in deaths per million residents of all states; only sparsely populated or isolated states have a lower ranking; Washington is 30th). Maybe Oregon's revenue drop is just the cost to keep the virus in check. Could work out for them in the long run. I see New Mexico has closed their state parks to all out of state visitors: https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2020/07/10/new-mexico-state-parks-travel-restrictions-quarantine-hiking-camping/5408780002/?_ga=2.134944631.701124780.1596859986-1518599200.1596859986

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I don’t know if this is a good idea or a bad one, but their reasoning is stupid.
It's mind blowing and beyond negligent that Oregon hasn't asked you for advice on this matter!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 pm 
Not surprising since Oregon is in the top 5 of most expensive non resident fishing licenses.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:45 pm 
Cyclopath makes zero sense with that comment. No one ever asked his advice on anything, yet he has an opinion on all subjects. I’m not boycotting Oregon, I will still visit the Eagle Cap and the area south of Bend. These are on Federal land, not state parks. My issue is one of value: I couldn’t afford Nehalem bay ($35/night plus $8 reservation fee) plus the extra gas money already. I’m not cheap or vindictive, just poor. I am going for only three nights at $27/night even though I have five days off, the extra $27 for the fourth night was a deal breaker. My van is full of 30 gallons of gas in part because of the $1 per gallon I saved from Tom’s gas points at Fred Meyer.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 pm 
I'm surprised Oregon has been hit hardest by reduction in tourism. I've heard anecdotally that Hawaii got crushed by this. And their economy is largely based on tourism.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 8:27 am 
NPR article did not say Oregon has had largest tourism decline, it said they had the largest tax revenue decline. I assume Oregon has had a tourism decline, like all states, due to the pandemic. Based on my own experience and what I am reading on the net, campgrounds are as packed as they have ever been, everywhere. I am guessing Oregon is not too afraid of out of state visitors not coming since their parks are at full capacity with Oregonians. There is nothing to do for fun except go camping.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am 
We have camped at Oregon State Parks after frown.gif and have reservations that are grandfathered in. The parks have been filled to capacity since they reopened with reservations pretty much unavailable until after Labor Day. They have been operating at reduced capacity which could explain the revenue loss. In my opinion the loss could be due to the attitude of costal communities earlier in the crisis. It was widely advertised on media that outsiders even Oregonians were not welcome. Reservations were canceled and business closed. Not really a good plan if you depend on tourism. So it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 10:34 am 
The coastal campgrounds are packed through September. I was surprised to have barely squeezed into one in October. That was at Ft. Stevenson during beautiful weather. I've found that the Portland effect goes to Lincoln City, and there are fewer folks south of there. I'm cheap. I've figured out how to stretch out my water and I've got solar panels. Unfortunately the Oregon Coast is a hard place to find rustic spots until you arrive at the dunes part. All three coastal states have made their state parks pricey and most are not doable for spontaneous people. I are one of those.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 10:53 am 
FWIW A couple months ago I read a report that Bend police were contacting #Vanlife people in the Bend area with out of state plates and telling them to go home. So in these times I think Oregon is thinking more about Oregon residents health and safety than out of state tourist dollars.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 11:12 am 
The opinion of people who are members of fiberglass trailer forums is that in a couple of years there is going to be a glut of used RVs for sale. Trailers, vans and motorhomes are selling like hotcakes right now. Plus, many campgrounds have locked up their restrooms and banned tent camping or non-self contained/hookup friendly camping. I found that to be the case at one of my super sekrit overnight stops. I made a foolish trip to an Oregon event but found it very reassuring to be towing my bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. I have sekrit places to spend a night or two that I shall not reveal. I was mad to see that one of them is temporarily requiring reservations and only has a third of the camping area open. They are booked for a long time.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 1:21 pm 
The Oregon parks still have availability if you know how to look. Search for one day at a time, and be willing to switch sites part way through. Forget about Saturday night as well. Search up to the last day before your trip to take advantage of cancellations. I have not seen any indication of reduced capacity. Every site at Nehalem bay was occupied or reserved.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 am 
Just got back from three days at a $6 a night, using my geezer pass, FS campground. No hookups but the solar panels got enough sun to keep systems working. It was quieter than a state park and I found a site with lots of privacy. The campground hosts have kept the place immaculate. I may return soon. It's only about an hour and a half away depending on the road construction.