Forum Index > Trail Talk > Been to Sunrise lately?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 10:04 pm 
I've had a hike on my list for years down there, and feel like it's time. But I've been warned that it took hours to get through the pay station on a weekend before covid, and is probably worse now. The only time I've been up there was on a road bike, several years ago, and I just don't remember that part of the trip. Hoping someone who's been up there recently can comment.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 10:53 pm 
Was there a week ago got to the entrance station around 11 one car in front of us. Camped at White chuck for a few days got a site as someone was leaving. Hiked to Emmons moraine view the first day, Then up to Glacier Basin to Burroughs the second, third day took it easy to Ohigh Lakes the third. Second night saw comet. Friends went up last weekend got last place parking at sunrise and dayhiked. Lots of bikes on sunset road. Summerland looked to crowded to hike.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
altersego

altersego
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 am 
We went to Summerland about 2.5 weeks ago on a Saturday. At around 830am, the entrance had a line of maybe 10 cars. By the time we left at 2pm, the line was much, much longer. Last summer we went to Sunrise and hiked to Skyscraper Pass. Got a late start and arrived around 11/12pm and the line was even longer than what I previously described. So I bet 10am-1pm is the worst time to enter. I vowed only to arrive early or visit on a weekday after that trip. Sunrise was a zoo. Sourdough Ridge was packed, armies marching up Burroughs, and two marmots ran up behind us and scared the crap out of me at Skyscraper Pass.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 8:28 am 
Last year we got there one day on a nice day weekend around noon and it was too busy to enter. So we went to chinook pass, which was crowded but not crazy.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 8:47 am 
Wife and a friend went yesterday (Monday) and arrived around 10:30. They made not mention of a car lineup at the guard station/booth but they did mention that the trails were fairly crowded for a weekday.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:38 am 
The back trail up from Glacier Basin is good exercise and way less crowded than the Burroughs Trail and also provides access to 3rd Burroughs which had a large goat herd.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Arginine

Arginine
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:46 am 
If you can, wait until midSeptember or later (before or just after the road closes). Much nicer experience. If the road is closed, hike up from the White River campground on the Wonderland. My policy has been to avoid Sunrise when the road is open in general.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:50 am 
Thanks everybody. smile.gif I can do Burroughs on a weekend now, or a weekday in October. Any advice? I like wildflowers, and I love larches, but not being up at the crack of dawn.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:38 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Thanks everybody. smile.gif I can do Burroughs on a weekend now, or a weekday in October. Any advice? I like wildflowers, and I love larches, but not being up at the crack of dawn.
No larches in that area, although I think there are some other decent fall colors.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 am 
Yeah, no larches in the area. So I'd rather be north and east in October. Unless this part of Rainier is especially nice in the fall.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 7:45 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I did to Third Burroughs on a weekday last October, on one of those glorious falls days, and it was stupendous. (I also am not an early starter). Not very many people in the area at all, and hardly anyone past First Burroughs. Who knows this year in terms of crowds, but really, Burroughs isn't a wildflower hike to begin with, and if you get a nice fall day I can't imagine anything better.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 12:38 pm 
3am arrival is the way to go...no line. Seriously though the crowd arrives after 8 and departs around 6. fwiw its an epic year for flowers on the Sunrise side....and Paradise is a few weeks behind.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 3:57 pm 
Bumping this. Summer is over, it's not even possible to be in denial anymore. That has to have lessened the crowds. Anyone visited lately?

Felpudo

Felpudo
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 4:21 pm 
Isn't the highway there from Seattle still closed? I bet that will cut the crowds down.

stever

stever
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 4:59 pm 
Highway 410 is closed east of Enumclaw. No word on when it will reopen. Also now that we're in October the road to Sunrise is scheduled to close Oct 26 per the park website. SR