Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lost Hiker - Rugged Ridge - Indian Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 pm 
Multi-agency Search Underway for Missing Hiker - Rugged Ridge area Missing Person Stephanie N Lincoln Age: 40 Height: 5’4” Weight: 130 lbs Description: Short brown hair, hazel eyes. Last seen with a red backpack. Stephanie failed to return from a day hike on the Rugged Ridge Trail, outside Forks, August 8. Her intended destination was Indian Pass, returning to the Rugged Ridge Trailhead on National Forest land off the A Road, east of Forks. If you were in the area of Rugged Ridge on August 8-9, or have any information regarding this individual, please contact Olympic National Park Dispatch at 360-565-3115. Teams from Olympic National Park and Clallam County Search & Rescue are currently involved in the search.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 2:32 am 

tinman

tinman
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm 
From Clallam County Sheriffs office: **UPDATE ON LOST HIKER STEPHANIE LINCOLN - LOCATED BY SEARCH & RESCUE TEAMS** On 8/10/20 at approximately 5:30pm, one of the Search & Rescue Helicopter teams saw Stephanie waving to them from a ravine near the Rugged Ridge Trailhead. Rescue is underway.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 7:12 pm 
tinman wrote:
**UPDATE ON LOST HIKER STEPHANIE LINCOLN - LOCATED BY SEARCH & RESCUE TEAMS** On 8/10/20 at approximately 5:30pm, one of the Search & Rescue Helicopter teams saw Stephanie waving to them from a ravine near the Rugged Ridge Trailhead. Rescue is underway.
Right on! I am so glad this has ended relatively well. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 9:11 pm 
‘I'm Stephanie's mom. SHE HAS BEEN FOUND ALIVE BY RESCUE AND BEING FLOWN TO THE HOSPITAL AT THIS MOMENT! THANK YOY ALL WHO PRAYED, SHARED THE POST, AND VOLUNTEERS THAT LOOKED FOR HER. ‘ Cut & pasted from Oly Park FB page. Good news.

Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 11:02 pm 
From Peninsula Daily News Missing hiker reportedly found outside of Forks
Rugged Ridge is a relatively isolated area east of Forks in Olympic National Park. By Pierre LaBossiere Monday, August 10, 2020 9:20pm OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK — A hiker who had been missing since Saturday has been located by Clallam County Search and Rescue teams. One of the helicopter teams located Stephanie N. Lincoln, 40, waving to them from a ravine near the Rugged Ridge trailhead at about 5:30 p.m. Monday, the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office reported. A rescue operation immediately commenced. https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/search-underway-for-missing-hiker-outside-of-forks/

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 12:42 am 
Monday August 11, 2020 21:32 PDT Clallam County Sheriff's Office - Olympic NP joint news release: Missing Hiker Rescued Earlier today, the National Park Service exclusive-use contract helicopter was activated from North Cascades National Park. (Mount Rainier, North Cascades, and Olympic national parks share the dedicated short-haul rescue helicopter on contract for the summer season.) At around 5:00 P.M. Stephanie Lincoln was located by the helicopter about 2 kilometers northwest of her vehicle. Stephanie was airlifted to the Fairchild International Airport in Port Angeles where she was examined by medical personnel at 6:50 P.M. After being medically cleared, Stephanie was debriefed by members of Clallam County Search and Rescue. Stephanie reported that she missed the trailhead and inadvertently took another path. After about a mile into the woods she realized her error and tried to double back to her vehicle but could not locate it. Stephanie attempted to put out an emergency alert on her cell phone but there was no service. Stephanie hiked to higher ground to attempt to find phone service but could not find any. The next morning Stephanie headed to the sound of running water. This took her to a steep embankment. When Stephanie tried to negotiate the embankment she slid down it and lost her trekking poles. When Stephanie got to the source of the water, the Sitkum River, she found that she would not be able to cross it. She found a meadow and waited there in the hopes that a helicopter would be able to spot her. After spotting the helicopter, she signaled for help. After the debrief, Stephanie was transported to the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office in Port Angeles where she was reunited with her family at around 7:30 P.M - CCSO NPS -

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 am 
Ski wrote:
At around 5:00 P.M. Stephanie Lincoln was located by the helicopter about 2 kilometers northwest of her vehicle.
If that's true, it doesn't appear as if she was hiking the trail when she got lost.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm 
Sounds like she took off on the wrong path from the trailhead. I can actually see that happening. I've pulled in trailheads full of cars and wandered around the parking lot looking for the trail more than once.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 1:26 pm 
What is normal post for the NPS’s contract helicopter? Best.

RodF

RodF
PostWed Aug 12, 2020 9:33 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
What is normal post for the NPS’s contract helicopter?
It's "normal post" isn't sitting at an airport, but out flying wherever it's needed. NPS news release reads: "Mount Rainier, North Cascades, and Olympic national parks share the dedicated short-haul rescue helicopter on contract for the summer season... The parks’ exclusive use rescue helicopter is owned, piloted, and maintained by Helicopter Express, Inc. based in Chamblee, Georgia." It's an ASTAR/Eurocopter B-3. Separately, a much larger number flights are being flown for mountain goat "Aerial capture operations are conducted through a contract with Leading Edge Aviation, a private company that specializes in the capture and transport of wild animals." Leading Edge Aviation is based in Lewiston ID and is flies a Hughes 500D. Separately, the Park also contracts with Northwest Helicopters in Olympia in support of annual routine wildlife surveys, ranger stations, maintenance, removal of waste dug from vault toilets in Seven Lakes Basin, etc., primarily using an MD-500D. And in the past has contracted with Columbia Helicopters in Portland for Chinook heavy-lift in support of the Elwha project, Staircase Rapids and other long-span bridge construction. For efficient use of flight time, any of these can be supported by a contracted Jet-A fuel truck stationed at the base of scheduled operations (Elwha, Quinault, Dosewallips, Hurricane Hill, Blue Mountain, etc.).

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostSat Aug 15, 2020 10:31 pm 
Rescued hiker recounts her experience Stephanie Lincoln tapped into her military training during 60 hour ordeal FORKS — Lost in an all-encompassing expanse of timberland for nearly 60 hours, the Evergreen State living up to its nickname for miles in every direction, Stephanie Lincoln did her best to suppress her emotions for much of her ordeal. She couldn’t help but think of her husband, Brad Rosenthal, her partner of 16 years whom she married in December, or of her friends and family, but Lincoln knew that too much worry could turn into crippling waves of panic. Peninsula Daily News story by Michael Carman

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 1:42 am 
How can there be such a long article filled with pointless details yet it said almost nothing about how she became lost?

80skeys

80skeys
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 am 
I'm sure a lot of you probably go on solo hiking and backpacking trips, but honestly I don't see how it's a good idea. I don't think anybody should be doing that. I mean, who am I to talk, I used to go fly fishing by myself a lot, and I got into real dicey situations a couple times where I could have gotten into trouble, but thankfully didn't. But here's what I think. I think every time you go out hiking you should be accompanied by at least one other person. Although if one of you gets injured, then, if the other person has to go hiking for help it puts you both in the situation of being alone, which isn't good. But at least someone else knows where you are and what condition you're in. I just thinking hiking and camping by oneself is not a good idea.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 9:29 am 
Slugman wrote:
How can there be ...
The editor gave the story to the sports reporter, that helps.