Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peepsight Lake Pks 7773' & 7838' 8/8-9
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 pm 
I headed into the Pasayten for a couple rarely done Peaks near Peepsight Lake last weekend. I had hoped to join Stefan and Greg on their trip a couple months ago but couldn't make it happen then. The Andrews Cr trail is in great shape as far as I went on it. At around the 12 mile mark, I headed off trail, across the creek and intersected the trail to Rock Lake. I've previously done that on my other 2 trips to the area. After Rock Lake, I headed towards Crazy Man Pass (wonder what the story with that name is) Lots of flowers were still out in the meadows, I stopped and took several pics along the way. After reaching the pass, I traversed below the lake(notlake) shown on the map towards Peepsight Mountain's S saddle. From there, I could see down to Peepsight Lake and over to the 2 peaks I wanted to climb.
flowery meadows
flowery meadows
Peepsight Lake down below
Peepsight Lake down below
After dropping my overnight gear, I headed up a rocky slope to the S saddle of Pk 7773' From there, it was nice and easy hiking to the summit. The views were nice as the day gradually got better throughout the day.
greenery below, burn area high on Fred's Mtn
greenery below, burn area high on Fred's Mtn
I dropped down the steeper other side to get to the next saddle above Lake 6707. Then it was more gain bypassing down fall down low but nice travel midway before boulders near the top. By luck, I found the register, it seemed a little hidden. I signed in and it looks like this peak is getting some traffic this year, watch out, it could be the next Mailbox.
Pk 7838 register
Pk 7838 register
I dropped down to the saddle and traversed back to Peepsight Lake. There was still plenty of daylight left so I decided to take a dip in the lake. Finally, a warm enough lake for me to wash off after a couple bad attempts in some much colder water this year. The sunset was great, dinner was, too. I went to bed shortly after and fell asleep fast.
sunsetting
sunsetting
sunset colors
sunset colors
the night was cold, I had frost on my tent in the morning. I was hoping for an earlier hike out but slept in til a little past 6. Hiking by 640am and didn't see anyone on my hike back to the TH at 1120am
Andrews Pk over some flowers
Andrews Pk over some flowers
34 miles 8500' elevation gain 2 days

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 12, 2020 11:30 am 
What? You are getting old man. You coulda did this in one day!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message