Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2 Nights at Murdock Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JasonK806

JasonK806
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm 
The original plan for this trip was to do a backcountry traverse of the upper Hamma Hamma from Murdock lakes to Hagen Lakes starting and finishing at Staircase. I approached via Black and White Lakes on Friday and after I had a break I started up the hill to get over to Murdock lakes. Just 5 minutes after starting I came up a slight gradient and ran into not one but two black bears! My first bear sightings in the backcountry after 10 years of going into the mountains and it took this long. Regardless, the first one I saw was directly to my left and wound up within 100 feet so I quickly and quietly moved 100 feet to my right as he didn't lift his head to see me or maybe just didn't care I was there. As I moved away and was getting ready to take off my pack to take pictures from a distance the other one popped out behind the brush less than 200 feet away and saw me, so I knew this just turned into a sticky situation and needed one of these bears to move away from me as the lake was directly behind me, so I waved my trekking poles in the air at the one that saw me and he took off in the other direction, probably startled that this 6 foot tall creature had 2, 6 foot long arms. With some space to breath I took the pictures and got moving. Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot more people going out into the mountains this year than the past. You really have to get off trail into the backcountry this summer to avoid the masses, which is why I wanted to be off trail for the better part of this trip. Also, when you're passing people on the trail the etiquette is to cover your face, which I'm fine with, but getting tired of while hiking.
Murdock lakes are truly sublime, a real gem in the Olympics. The first night it actually rained pretty good till about midnight but luckily I got everything setup before it started at 7pm. Forced to make dinner in my tent that night I was looking forward to using my new vintage stove, the Optimus 8r. I was getting tired of buying all the little canisters for the pocket rocket and thought this might be a good solution. It's definitely a heavier setup but it worked like a charm for the entire trip so I think this might be my primary stove unless I feel I need to go uber light.
The second day started out with clearing sky's but the valley was continuously in a thick fog and by 1pm I threw in the towel on trying to reach Hagen lakes. The valley that must be traversed looked very dense with thick brush and trees and when it was partially clear I tried to scout out a route through, but there does not seem to be an easy way. This was confirmed when I read in Dane's 50 day trip through the Olympics that he also found this valley difficult to traverse and even resorted to walking in the stream to cover ground. I had a map and compass but finding my way through thick brush and very thick fog up to the pass over to Lake of the Angels did not sound fun and potentially dangerous if I got disorientated. I probably would have went for it if it was clear but there was just no way when visibility is down to 100 feet.
When it cleared more in the afternoon Mt. Henderson seemed like a worthy task for the day after a nap. But alas the ridge was not straightforward and had loose rock. Not wanting to side hill up I called it a day, took some pictures of the basin and Smith lake and headed back down to camp.
After turning around just above this spot
After turning around just above this spot
Smith Lake
Smith Lake
Hit up Mount Gladys and descended back to Flapjack lakes and Staircase under blue bird sky's on the third day.
First notch/pass that has to be found before the pass that descends to Lake of the Angels
First notch/pass that has to be found before the pass that descends to Lake of the Angels
Mt. Anderson
Mt. Anderson

reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 6:49 pm 
That is an awesome white gas stove. It brings back the '70s...

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostWed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 pm 
nice report! Such a cool little corner of the park I traveled your proposed route last year through the Hamma Hamma headwaters to Hagen Lake and Mt Hopper; can confirm it is very brushy!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Aug 12, 2020 4:11 pm 
An ex-girlfriend got my 8R. I loved that stove. I had a pump/relief valve cap assembly to add pressure. Sounds like no other!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.