Forum Index > Trip Reports > Silvertip Peak (Monte Cristo Area) 8/1/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 11:07 am 
Attempting to finish off the Mountaineers Everett Peak Pin List this year and Silvertip was some of the last low hanging fruit on it for me. The trailhead was crowded even when I arrived at 6:30 in the morning. I was surprised that finding parking at that time of day was even a problem. Luckily I got one of the last 3 spots available. The bike ride up to the townsite was as smooth as always. The first few miles of the trail to poodle dog pass was easy and provided a good warm-up for the climb
The worst part of climbing Silvertip peak was actually locating the ridge trail. There are 400 trails in every direction and I kept running into peoples campsites as I searched for a route up. Once on the crest of the ridge, it was easy to follow the climber's path. All was snow-free with lots of wildflowers blooming.
From below, the summit block of Silvertip does not look that imposing. As you climb up higher, it slowly begins to look more and more intimidating.
The final scramble isn't the worst thing I have ever done in this area. It is steep and there is a lot of exposure, but, the handholds are good and the rock is of good quality. If you don't want the exposure, the view from the ridgeline is just as quality as the top of the peak.
The rappel off the summit isn't the most extreme or anything. But, this was my first time rappeling without anyone around and having to build my own anchor. Made the entire climb feel pretty epic in my head. I did remove the rope that was up there. It was cracked, frayed, and falling apart. It was also brittle to the touch. However, there is plenty of spots to set an anchor with a runner or two and the Rappel rings were fine so I made sure to leave those for the next person/group. Here is a full Video of the climb:
I also have a much more detailed trip report of Silvertip Peak you can find on my site.

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 11:32 am 
up.gif One of my favorites. I've always found it easier to traverse to the summit block from just below this point rather than go across the ridge
TheWaterboy wrote:

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 12:48 pm 
Yes, bring a bike. Saves 4 miles of walking on the way down. Plus it's an easy 30 - 60 minute ride up to the town site instead of a 2 hour walk. Whole thing took me around 8 hours. Though I wasn't really trying to move fast.

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 12:51 pm 
Yes on the way back I stayed down lower on the ridge and it was far easier to navigate. It's now become one of my favorites. The payoff for the work involved was excellent

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 3:14 pm 
TheWaterboy wrote:
The first few miles of the trail to poodle dog pass was easy and provided a good warm-up for the climb
For me, even in the best of shape, the trail up to PoodleDogPass IS a climb, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 8:46 am 
Just a note of interest, in the book about the Monte Cristo area, it was written that the peak was named for the Silvertip Grizzlies that were seen in this area.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 2:31 pm 
Looks like an awesome trip, and sounds like it was fun! Thanks for bringing the old slings out with you.

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 3:09 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Looks like an awesome trip, and sounds like it was fun! Thanks for bringing the old slings out with you.
Yes, it was quite fun! And of course, I think more climbers need to be conscious of the trash pile that rappel anchors / gear can become when no one bothers to clean them up.

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 3:10 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
Just a note of interest, in the book about the Monte Cristo area, it was written that the peak was named for the Silvertip Grizzlies that were seen in this area.
What book is that? I would really enjoy the read. This is one of my favorite areas. From what I understood, the peak and lake below were both named for the silver mine that was in the same area above the townsite. Grizzly's are a way better reason to name them both

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 8:58 am 
I stand corrected. In the 1977 book titled "Monte Cristo Area A complete guide" written by Harry Majors and Richard McCollum, there is a chapter on the various peaks in the Monte Cristo area. For Silvertip Peak, on page 163, they state that the peak's name came about from miner's in the area between 1890-1896. It was conceivable that it was derived from Silvertip Peak which was christened in 1892. The next sentence in the book states that there were several grizzly bears(silvertips) in the North Cascades during the 1890's. Hence my memory lapse. Sorry.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 am 
Correction again. Name conceivably came from Silvertip Creek which was christened in 1892.

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 9:50 am 
Steve Erickson wrote:
Hence my memory lapse. Sorry.
Hey no worries! I am always curious where the names of so many of these peaks came from
Steve Erickson wrote:
1977 book titled "Monte Cristo Area A complete guide"
Thanks for the book title. I am going to check this out now smile.gif