Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jumbo Mountain (8/2/2020)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:17 am 
I had attempted Jumbo twice during the wintertime thinking it might be a good escape with few people. Neither attempt went well, so, I decided to come back in summer and see if it was any better. Jumbo From Darrington
The first mistake that is very easy to make is deciding where to leave the Squire Creek Trail. On my first two attempts, there were no markers. I had left a pile of rocks next to the trail for when I came back. As luck would have it, there was another party on the mountain that day and they had marked the turnoff with some ribbon about 10 feet from my rocks. I would later run into the group that left the ribbon. To Devin, Devin, Ginni, and Jamie thank you for the help with the route finding. They did not make the summit, but, without their help, I would have been coming back for a 4th attempt someday
Just because you find the right turn off, does not mean the route gets any easier. For the first 400 - 500 feet, the climbers trail does not really exist. On one occasion during winter I went too far to the right and ran into a waterfall. Then I had to scramble some very wet slabs to get back onto the right ridge. Basically, if you end up in a creek bed, backtrack and move climbers left. The first time on any of these trips that I actually found the trail was when I found a coffee can hanging from a tree. You can find it at 48.20736, -121.62112 smile.gif. Beyond that, there is a fairly clear trail with some markers. Lots of blowdowns and a very steep hillside will be the next hour or so of your day.
At around 3500 ft. the first gulley will be obvious to your right. This is where I exited the woods. If you are following in my footsteps, stop and prepare yourself for some bushwhacking. Head straight across the gulley and work your way through brush, woods, hills until you encounter another gulley.
From there is another very loose climb through the second Gulley. Climb up to 48.20385, -121.60685 and then, once again, prepare to bushwhack until you want to cry. Try to stay level from this point and work until you come into a large open basin. There will be a waterfall in the middle. Just walk towards it
I tried to go over the top of the falls at first. That did not work. Instead, I just headed straight up the waterfall on the right-hand side. The scrambling is easy except for one move near the top (class 3+).
The easiest part of the day is above the falls. All I had to do was walk... Compared to the rest of the day on this peak, it felt like living in a dream world. The views from here are phenomenal of Whitehorse, three fingers, and the Squire Creek Wall. Getting up to the saddle where the final summit scramble begins was easy and just required a little class 2-3 scramble.
The final scramble to the summit has good handholds and does not go over class 3. However, the exposure on the north side of the peak may get to some people. I must say it was weird signing a summit register that was placed before I was born. I think that was a first for me in life. Clearly this peak does not get summited often. After the horrid route, I can see why. Obligatory Summit Views
If you do choose to go up there, take it easy, and prepare to be frustrated. It seems like everyone I talk to takes 3-4 tries to actually summit this relatively tiny little peak
There are more photos and a little more specific directions for Jumbo Mountain on my site Hike2Hike.com

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 pm 
Off the beaten path, but you could walk there from Darrington. Interesting adventure, thanks for the details.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 7:41 pm 
Pretty amazing to see it with no snow. Looks way harder!