Forum Index > Trail Talk > Comment on NPS Longmire to Paradise plan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 11:51 am 
Looking at the BIG picture, maybe massive funding would come if Rainier would have the long dreaded eruption. Congress was very generous with the GPNF after St Helens blew. Money was no object. Then it dried up and facilities were closed and roads went to pot.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:05 pm 
Ski wrote:
I encountered were families on sightseeing tours, travelling with cars full of kids and dogs and Grandma and Grandpa and all of the clutter one would expect from such a group: ice chests, suitcases and the like. Are these people supposed to just leave the animals in their cars while they ride the shuttle, and schlep all of their crap with them? Seriously?
They're done to leave fluffy at home. That was a really easy question. What an I supposed to do if I'm traveling with my gun and they aren't allowed in national parks? How does this work in Zion?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:08 pm 
Firearms have been allowed in National Parks for years.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:13 pm 
That's the big reason I pretty much avoid NPs. I usually travel with "Fluffy". The National Parks are downright Fluffy hostile. The Grand Canyon is an exception. They had a kennel on the South Rim where my friends boarded their Fluffy while we went backpacking. I wish more parks did that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:34 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
They're done to leave fluffy at home.
You were of course aware, were you not, that the dog population of the City of Seattle exceeds that of the human population?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:56 pm 
Ski wrote:
Thanks for keeping me honest. smile.gif Here's a better analogy. An ex sold cruises. One day she came home talking about a customer who wanted to go to the Sistine Chapel, which requires all visitors to wear pants, but this customer wanted to bring only dresses. She was forced to choose between wearing pants or not visiting. Similarly if we don't allow dogs on the shuttle, people will have to leave them home, or go to one of the many other places does are allowed. And if we require clothes on the shuttle, I won't be able to get a sunburn where the sun doesn't shine while I chat strangers up on the bus. And yeah, I know, to live in Seattle you're required to have a dog, a tattoo, and a latte. And no children.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 5:09 pm 
I don't get too excited about dogs in NPs--unless the owners are otherwise obnoxious. (See my recent Shriner Peak experience for clarification.) Stephen Mather had all the wolves (and cougars) professionally hunted out of many national parks, including MRNP, in the 1910s and 20s so visitors would be more at ease. Fast forward a hundred years; if their dog cousins chase an ungulate through the woods now and then, well, it's only natural.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 5:12 pm 
Ski wrote:
Thanks Obama! Seriously.

Brian R

Brian R
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:37 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Congress was very generous with the GPNF after St Helens blew. Money was no object. Then it dried up and facilities were closed and roads went to pot.
Two reasons: Senator Warren G. Magnuson and Senator Henry M. Jackson. They got things done back then.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Mar 18, 2022 7:28 am 
altasnob wrote:
Ski wrote:
The owner of the real estate immediately outside the Nisqually entrance is still pushing for permits from the County to develop the site into a hotel/restaurant/shopping mall/golf course/amusement park. The same owner also owns the Chevron station in Elbe.
I've read about Park Junction Resort proposal, which is 11 miles outside the park. Is that what you are referring to? It's a 200 million dollar proposal and was first announced 25 years ago. I believe they have permits to start construction but permits expire if not acted upon in a timely manner. My guess is they are running into funding issues (and that was before the pandemic). The area does not seem conducive to a Suncadia type mega resort. Dormant for years, plans for $200 million resort near Mount Rainier show signs of life Stiff pushback against decision to allow Mount Rainier-area resort to keep moving
If anyone is curious, this project has not yet been killed. Pierce County argued the permit holders had abandoned the permit by not making sufficient progress, and a hearing examiner agreed and revoked the permit. Property owners appealed and this week the Pierce Superior Court agreed with property owners and remanded back to hearing examiner for further considerations. The court's order does not say the hearing examiner must let the permit continue, just that the hearing examiner must be more clear as to what was required for the property owners to keep their permit, and more clear as to whether they failed to make sufficient progress. Here's the court case: https://linxonline.co.pierce.wa.us/linxweb/Case/CivilCase.cfm?cause_num=21-2-06955-1&fbclid=IwAR3y9kOCB4XG4rfXt-NkzRuan0l_I1tILojCNtJu9tvwodoiSc4sLVJHyIk Old News Tribune article written after the hearing examiner revoked the permit (but before the court reversed that this week): https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article252032893.html?fbclid=IwAR2SXOB3psQLB1ILHQ9XoTQpBzT9eiUZfucMU3qryzuOfF5l93Dw4QoUpzg

domaz

domaz
PostFri Mar 18, 2022 8:34 am 
Brian R wrote:
I don't get too excited about dogs in NPs--unless the owners are otherwise obnoxious. (See my recent Shriner Peak experience for clarification.) Stephen Mather had all the wolves (and cougars) professionally hunted out of many national parks, including MRNP, in the 1910s and 20s so visitors would be more at ease. Fast forward a hundred years; if their dog cousins chase an ungulate through the woods now and then, well, it's only natural.
Fluffy chases the ungulate and goes missing. Now you have big problems and possibly tied up search and rescue. Realistically even if dogs were allowed, but had to be on a leash, a large percentage of owners would still let their dogs roam free. You can see that everyday in city parks.