Forum Index > Trail Talk > Target shooting ban in effect for all WDFW lands statewide 08/21/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 6:19 pm 
Friday August 21, 2020 17:05 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE Target shooting ban in effect for all WDFW lands statewide OLYMPIA – To help prevent wildfires, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is alerting the public of a temporary target shooting ban on all department-managed lands statewide. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) also announced target shooting restrictions on Aug. 15 for all DNR-managed lands. "We implemented several fire risk prevention measures for WDFW lands in Eastern Washington earlier this summer," said Cynthia Wilkerson, Lands Division Manager for WDFW. "With increasing fire danger and several recent incidents of human-caused fires in southwest Washington, we want to emphasize that the target shooting ban includes Western Washington." This ban applies to the approximately one million acres of land managed by WDFW, including wildlife areas and water access areas throughout the state. The temporary rule does not restrict lawful hunting. All temporary restrictions will remain in effect until the risk of wildfire decreases, Wilkerson said. Any changes to these restrictions will be posted on the department's website at wdfw.wa.gov. Discharging firearms poses a greater risk in dry conditions as bullets pass through decayed wood, cause sparks off rocks, or break into fragments in dry grass. Fires can ignite even after a shooter has left an area. Fire danger on most of the east side is rated as "high" or "extremely high". Many counties in Western Washington are also at a "high" fire danger level. Residents should check for burn bans in their areas on DNR's website. WDFW actively manages approximately 1 million acres of land and over 500 water access areas across the state to preserve natural and cultural heritage, provide access for hunting, fishing, and wildlife-related recreation, and to foster experiences and exploration for thousands of Washingtonians and visitors each year. WDFW is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting, and other recreation opportunities. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 8:36 pm 
Not sure I've ever heard of "sparks from a bullet" starting a fire. Maybe idiots who buy those exploding targets are a concern? In any event, so-called target shooting on state and federal land has become a big problem. Cayada Creek is now completely shut down to shooting. For good. And for good reason. Shot up televisions in creek beds, bullet-riddled car hulks, 55-grain bullets whizzing past my head on at least two occasions during the past ten years. I'm as pro 2A as they come. But it's time for a little self-restraint in shared places. With this announcement, I'd look for the pit on FS70 to resemble Verdun soon.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 9:34 pm 
This is good news, but actually enforcing the ban will be pretty challenging. We have talked to enforcement officers on the Sultan Basin Road several times and as soon as they run one group off and drive down the road, other shooters take their place. Kind of like a rat infestation.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 pm 
Brian R wrote:
"...the pit on FS70..."
The one just past Greenwater? I started a thread asking for volunteers for a clean-up party up there a few years back. Prior to starting the thread, I had lengthy phone conversations with several people, among them Mr. Workman and one of the administrators from that particular Ranger District. This has been an on-going problem for years, not just at the pit on the 70 road or on WDFW lands, but all over the state. No doubt hikers, backpackers, and birdwatchers will be elated by this closure, but I feel that it's unfortunately just another big empty slap in a gigantic game of whack-a-mole.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 pm 
This is nothing new. When the fire danger goes up, they ban target shooting along with campfires and firewood cutting. Gates get closed on private land. Exploding targets were what was rumored to have started a fire in the suburbs of Randle a few years ago. I had never heard of those things until that happened.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 pm 
Yes, that one Ski. I think it's sanctioned with the hope it will concentrate the trash--and the lead. And it has a reasonable backstop. A good thing. There is also a smaller shooting pit up off of 7030 on the way to Sawmill Ridge/Green Pass that is less sanctioned. Mostly good people, I'm sure, who just need to clean up after themselves and shoot at actual targets--not stuff. Still, I prefer to avoid crowds with guns outside the club I belong to. Truth is, the whole 70 valley is becoming kind of scary from Greenwater all the way to Naches and Easton and the old Lester townsite. Lots of sketchy goings-on. Ironically, perhaps, I would never go up there alone and unarmed.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 11:58 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Not sure I've ever heard of "sparks from a bullet" starting a fire.
A few years ago in the Teanaway. It was October and most of the fires in the state were winding down. https://thenwfireblog.com/2017/10/10/teanawayriverfire-october-10-2017-2/