Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sunday Lightning Ignites Multiple Fires in ONP / ONF 08/17/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 9:06 pm 
August 17, 2020 20:44 PDT Olympic National Park - Olympic National Forest Press Release Lightning Strikes Sunday Evening Started Multiple Fires in Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest Numerous fires were started within Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest on Sunday evening following abundant lightning strikes with minimal precipitation and high fire danger conditions. The National Park Service and USDA Forest Service are coordinating efforts with state and local partners. There are currently ten fires detected, five in the national park and five on the national forest, and all in fairly remote areas. Several fires are in the interior of the park and the northwest portions of the park and forest. One fire is located in the southeast portion of the national forest on Mount Lena. The fires range in size from 0.1 to 1.5 acres. Resources currently assigned to the fires include a helicopter rappel crew, type 3 helicopter with helitack crew, 8 personnel fire management module, and three wildland fire engines. Resources are split up and taking suppression actions on the fires with the highest threat to values. Additional resources including more crews, engines, and overhead are on order. A fire detection reconnaissance flight was conducted late this afternoon and it is expected that additional fires may be found in the next few days. Favorable weather conditions are forecasted later this week with cooler, moist weather which could potentially aid in fire suppression. No trail closures are in place at this time. More information will follow as it becomes available. East Beach Road Fire Update – Road Closure Remains in Place for Public Safety The East Beach Road Fire at Lake Crescent that started July 29 burned 84 acres and is 98% contained. The hot weather through the weekend tested the security of the East Beach Fire and may have allowed some of the interior heat to burn itself out or clean up the unburned islands. Public safety remains a concern. Debris continues to come down off the steep slope onto the road. Due to the hazardous situation, East Beach Road is closed to all visitor traffic, including bicycles and pedestrians, at the Highway 101 intersection. Log Cabin Resort is still operating and can be accessed via Highway 112 to Joyce-Piedmont Rd. All day use recreation sites along East Beach Road in Olympic National Park are closed. Local residents can access property up to 2 miles west of Highway 101 or from Log Cabin Resort up to the hard closure. - ONP - ONF -

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 12:13 am 
I was watching all that lightning from my back porch in PA. Given how dry it is I assumed there would be a few fires as a result. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:11 am 
thanks for the info Ski! Currently up to half an inch of rain in the forecast for the interior of the park on Thursday, let's hope it holds true...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 10:16 am 
Rain is much needed up there. I have not yet had my full dose of Chanterelles this season. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 6:14 pm 
Saturday August 22, 2020 17:29 PDT Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest Fire Update 08/22/20
Olympic Peninsula Fire Update Aug 22 2020
Olympic Peninsula Fire Update Aug 22 2020
August Lightning Fires Olympic Peninsula Aug 22 2020
August Lightning Fires Olympic Peninsula Aug 22 2020
Numerous fires were started within Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest on the evening of Sunday, August 16 following abundant lightning strikes with minimal precipitation and high fire danger conditions. The National Park Service and USDA Forest Service responded by coordinating efforts with state and local partners. Suppression actions were taken on the fires with the highest threat to values. Naturally occurring wildfire is an integral part of the forested ecosystems on the Olympic Peninsula. Fires in remote areas will continue to smolder and burn until a season ending weather event in the Fall. Recent rainfall on the Olympic Peninsula assisted with fire suppression efforts. For the remainder of August and early September, normal weather conditions are expected to return to the region. No trail closures are in place at this time. Fire Information will be updated as needed if conditions warrant. East Beach Road Fire Update Road Closure Remains in Place for Public Safety Public safety remains a concern. Debris continues to come down off the steep slope onto the road. Due to the hazardous situation, East Beach Road is closed to all visitor traffic, including bicycles and pedestrians, at the Highway 101 intersection. Log Cabin Resort is still operating and can be accessed via Highway 112 to Joyce-Piedmont Rd. All day use recreation sites along East Beach Road in Olympic National Park are closed. Local residents can access property up to 2 miles west of Highway 101 or from Log Cabin Resort up to the hard closure. Fire is an integral part of the forested ecosystems on the Olympic Peninsula; plants and animals here have evolved with fire for thousands of years. Many factors such as weather, topography, and vegetation influence fire behavior and the effects that fires have on natural resources. -NPS-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 6:20 pm 
Tomlike wrote:
Currently up to half an inch of rain in the forecast for the interior of the park on Thursday, let's hope it holds true...
On the afternoon of Friday, August 20th, the Queets was running at just below 500 CFS. It crested late last night, Saturday August 21st, at almost 6000 CFS, which is a pretty clear indication there was significant rainfall on the west slope of the Olympics over the course of the last 72 hours. Currently the WASHDOT traffic cam at Queets shows clear sunny skies. Chanterelles will be out in abundance.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 10:58 pm 
Sounds as if Oly N P will not make their quota of a few thousand acres burning every year.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!