Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpacking Stove Fuel Shortage of 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
80skeys

80skeys
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 1:23 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Northgate Big 5 was totally stocked up again.
Good.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 pm 
Opus wrote:
No shortage of fuel canisters at the Seattle REI. All those boxes in the back are full and circle around the fireplace.
WOWZA!! Talk about a superlative response to a "crisis". up.gif up.gif to REI.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
No shortage of fuel canisters at the Seattle REI. All those boxes in the back are full and circle around the fireplace.
Hmmm, "...cannot be shipped, must be picked up in store". So if they can't put in in a truck to send to me, how'd they get it to the store in the first place, I wonder? I bought a quart of liquid fuel (which is also quite flammable) a short time back, and it came to me via truck....USPS I think it was. The older I become, the less I understand about everything I know.... lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 7:06 am 
^ although I'm not really quite awake yet, I think it's the differences in shipping policies between USPS / UPS / FedEx / and common carriers.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 9:03 am 
moonspots wrote:
So if they can't put in in a truck to send to me, how'd they get it to the store in the first place,
You could pay the extra 25$ hazardous materials shipping fee. You could buy a 30$ bottle of butane that way, Cabellas does that.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
contour5

contour5
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 6:04 pm 
I'm seeing fuel everywhere. Mountain House meals, on the other hand, are in serious short supply...

80skeys

80skeys
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 8:54 am 
contour5 wrote:
I'm seeing fuel everywhere. Mountain House meals, on the other hand, are in serious short supply...
I bought enough of those a few months ago for my backpacking trips this year. After the Covid stuff started happening I wanted to make sure I had enough. I also bought a food dehydrator which I have never used but which eventually I will learn how.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 11:01 pm 
Most elites would agree it is always a good idea to keep a couple XL MOUNTAIN HOUSE 9 SERVING TUBS in the kitchen at home, aaaahh just make em for dinner

80skeys

80skeys
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 11:43 am 
Well, for years I've been meaning to get into dehydrating this stuff myself, after seeing the worthwhileness of doing it from a friend of mine in NM who was accustomed to preparing all his own food for backpacking.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 1:54 pm 
^ check the "Food and Grub" forum and search "dehydrator" for recipes and tips on using.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
80skeys

80skeys
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 5:37 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ check the "Food and Grub" forum and search "dehydrator" for recipes and tips on using.
Good tip, thanks.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 7:31 pm 
I did some experimenting a few yeas back and posted some "dehydrator recipes" HERE You also will want to check sarbar's website: trailcooking.com

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 12:12 pm 
Cool, thanks. There's also this site: https://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html. I haven't looked at the recipes but I used it as a guide to purchase my dehydrator.

80skeys

80skeys
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 1:44 pm 
There's a total shortage of Bear Spray in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I'm trying to call ahead and reserve a can or two for my upcoming trip, but none is to be had in REI, Sportsmans Warehouse, Big 5 or Dick's. It's sad cuz I've got several cans at home that I've accumulated over the years. But I can't take them on a plane.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 6:04 pm 
80skeys wrote:
There's a total shortage of Bear Spray in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I'm trying to call ahead and reserve a can or two for my upcoming trip, but none is to be had in REI, Sportsmans Warehouse, Big 5 or Dick's. It's sad cuz I've got several cans at home that I've accumulated over the years. But I can't take them on a plane.
For ONP bear spray is not necessary, at least it hasn't been for me since I started hiking here in 1969. In fact, my wife and I just got back from the wilderness coast of ONP, and we watched a mother bear and her two cubs walk in front of our camp (while we talked to them). Then they proceeded to eat something in the seaweed on shore just a couple of hundred feet from us for over an hour. During this time, a yearling (probably last year's cub) decided to join the party, but got nervous at the sight of mom (she would have chased him off) and the people that were visible, so he took off. Eventually, mom and the cubs walked back in front of our campsite and strolled into the woods. Completely non-eventful. Fortunately, everyone (hikers) was respectful and well behaved. Mom appeared to feel that she and her cubs were not threatened, and no one was chasing them trying to get a selfie with the bears. I have had many encounters with bears in ONP (and the Cascades for that matter), including some in close proximity to my camp while they fed on berries, and have never felt the need to have bear spray with me. Be respectful, make noise so they know you're there, talk to them in a calm voice, don't stare at them or give them the impression that you're challenging them, and things will in all likelihood be just fine.

The only easy day was yesterday...