Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Polio is an endangered species
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm 
The polio virus is gone from Africa. It only exists in the wild anymore in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Before covid hit, they were within two years of completely eradicating polio. It's still going to happen. Some good news for a change. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 5:56 pm 
Is it really gonna be gone? Or "gone" like smallpox? On that note, anyone opposed to vaccines might consider what life was like when diseases like these were ravaging the world.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 9:22 am 
The most viral of all these common diseases these is Measles. There were over 1000 cases in the US last year. The normal MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) shot series provides protection. Washington State removed removed the personal and philosophical option to exempt children from the MMR shot in July of 2019. Only religious and medical necessity remain. Children without a MMR or a valid exception are not able to attend public schools. The only common church that has a vaccination prohibition is Christian Science. Covid vaccination requirements will be next.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:17 am 
neek wrote:
Is it really gonna be gone? Or "gone" like smallpox? On that note, anyone opposed to vaccines might consider what life was like when diseases like these were ravaging the world.
The polio vaccine is a weakened form of the virus, so it's less "gone" than smallpox. Rarely but sometimes, the virus in the vaccine mutates into something bad and creates a small outbreak. But those are easily controlled. And it's gone from the wild in Africa. They'll be able to stop using the vaccine when it's gone from Afghanistan and Pakistan. Only two labs have a smallpox sample. I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard we're getting closer to a consensus to destroy them. The virus has been sequenced, they don't need a physical copy. In any case, no one has actually been infected with smallpox since the 1970s. smile.gif

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 pm 
The story is a little more nuanced than that, here's a WHO video which clarifies some of the points:

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler