Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heather Park - Klahhane Ridge - Lake Angeles loop, ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dropper

dropper
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:31 pm 
Hiked the Heather Park - Klahhane Ridge - Lake Angeles loop out in Olympic National Park. Heather Park was nice as was Lake Angeles but neither compared to the country and trail between them. That was some of my favorite trail i have ever done, grand and lonely. Cimbed up to Heather Park and eventually views opened up & and the weather began to break. The trail takes you to the end of the park and then just disappears over the edge. You see some switchbacks and then tops of evergreens, and down you go. The views open up and Mt. Olympus is in the distance. The trail works its way along the mountainside for a while with all of the wildflowers in full bloom. Then it begins climbing up & over to the next drainage with a descent so steep that the switchbacks disappear from view again with Klahhane ridge in the distance. Once you cross the basin & crest Klahhane ridge, the Olympic range is spread out in front of you. Mountains for as far as you can see from left to right with the Strait at your back. Ran into the first people since i had passed a few hikers a mile from the parking lot, said hi & started hiking the ridgeline. The Klahhane ridge was a great hike, up and down & very narrow in places. Up little knolls & alongside steep slopes, just vast open country. Eventually started working my way down the ridge and views of Lake Angeles came into view. Made my way down to the lake and the little island, soaked it in for a bit & then down & out the Lake Angeles TH. 12.5 miles & 4,750 ft of gain - just an amazing and largely lonely hike where the terrain and views change constantly. Highly recommended - WAtrails.com

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message