Forum Index > Trail Talk > Numb toes?!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:27 pm 
I just climbed Glacier Peak this last weekend. One of the harder excursions I've done for sure. But I'm not a novice. So I was surprised at something that has happened and is still lingering 2 days later. On the 3rd day (exiting), I was decending the switchbacks down to the North Fork Sauk valley floor, and I thought I was getting a blister under at least one big toe. I stopped when I got down to the river and took a look and was relieved to see no blisters. But the rest of the way out (5.5 easy miles), the big toes both felt funny. It was like when your leg falls asleep, but is halfway back to normal. No tingling really, and not entirely numb. Just halfway numb. I just figured I abused my feet for 3 days and they would be fine by the next day. But 2 full days later, there's only minor improvement. Any ideas of what's going on? Especially interested in similar experiences...(and outcomes)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 12:55 am 
I've had this happen when I tie my upper boot laces too tight. I've also had this happen as a result of a couple herniated lumbar discs. Maybe your pack was too much of a load for your spine. If it's not better in a few weeks, go see the doc.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 am 
I think you summed it up when you said one of the harder excursions. I believe it was a buildup and this took it over the edge. I had similar issues in both feet packing out a heavy load for consecutive days. It took a while for the tingling to go away

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:27 am 
Walking all day on a full shank over ground seems to be the culprit and if it's not in snow it can place undue stress on the joints in your feet. This is one of many reasons I and many friends use trail runners for approaches on harder stuff. I used to get numb toes, bad blisters etc. Heck, Beckey hiked in tennis shoes and I think there's merit to it. I made the switch 6 years ago and haven't looked back.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:45 am 
What if you have weak ankles? trail hikers to climb GP?

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am 
Is your footwear too small? In the summer of 2017 I did a few big trips in mountaineering boots that were too small. I felt what you described for at least a month after summer ended, but it eventually went away. Nowadays I do as much as I can in roomy trail runners or approach shoes, and I make sure my boots have plenty of space for my toes. Haven't had any issues since.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am 
I once got numb toes (at the tips of the big toe) after a really really long day hike with lots of EG loss at the end. I think the cause was poorly fitting or otherwise undersupportive shoes where the endless pounding on the ball of your foot irritates nerves running to the toes. It went away by itself after about a week.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 am 
I think it's partially that I'm 20-30 lbs heavier than usual right now (Covid weight). I've used these boots to do countless hikes and climbs, including, PCT J section, 4 peaks in the Gunn-Merchant range, Persis-Index traverse, etc. This is the first problem I've had. I also might have had them too tight at the ankle as one person commented. I like trail runners in theory. But I have terrible ankles (soccer). And then I don't want to carry the boots in for the snow like GP. Especially if it's raining and I can't fit them inside my pack... I did wear them once for a 2 night climb, and had a terrible ankle sprain a quarter mile from the truck on the way out. At least it happened at the end (which is where it seems to happen for me. tired both mentally and physically.) Now I just wish i didn't play 2 hours of barefoot soccer with a bunch of 6-16 year olds on Tuesday. That was a mistake...

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 5:34 pm 
If this continues, or if it keeps happening to you, you may have a Morton's neuroma. I had one, it got worse over the years. Started out just some pain in between my toes and numbness. Over time it got super painful, and my toes would stay numb and sore for much longer. I eventually had surgery because I was having my ankle repaired at the same time. It was a difficult recovery, and I am not happy with the scar tissue, so I hope you don't have that problem. Definitely rest your feet for awhile to help those nerves calm down.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 9:24 pm 
SultanHiker wrote:
Now I just wish i didn't play 2 hours of barefoot soccer with a bunch of 6-16 year olds on Tuesday. That was a mistake...
Ha! I did that once, and it caused me to require surgery on a big toe...about a year later when I finally recognized that it wasn't going to get better on it's own. But on the bright side, I did get the ball! 😆

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 pm 
Blood clot. Call Donald Trump. Seriously, it could be. Better have it checked out. If the clot breaks away it could travel to somewhere you really don't want it to go. You bill is in the mail...and you will thank me.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 pm 
May just be me but playing barefoot soccer sounds a lot like javelin catching unless you are Bruce Lee.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:51 pm 
I used to be a soccer star in the early 90s when nobody cared. It still haunts me to this day. Story of my life

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 10:39 am 
One other possible explanation is if your waist belt is too tight and potentially impinging on the nerves that travel down your legs. I have a pack that tends to slide down my hips, and rather than constantly hoisting it back up, I used to cinch up the waist belt really tight--until one trip where I had numbness in parts of my legs afterwards that lingered for over a week after my trip.