Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Donating to nonprofit wilderness conservation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am 
Hi guys, Is there a nonprofit/charity wilderness conservation type of organization that I can make a donation to? Could be local (PNW or west coast) or national, either way.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am 
These two are more trails and access based: https://www.selwaybitterroot.org Our own WTA does good work too. https://www.wta.org A local conservation organization in North Central Idaho: https://www.friendsoftheclearwater.org

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 11:35 am 
The Nature Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. They are the group that acquired and has been working on the restoration and preservation of the "Ellsworth Unit" near Long Island (among other projects they are involved in.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 1:01 pm 
Washington Wild is directly related to wilderness as is The Wilderness Society is a national organization, Conservation NW is local (as is washington wild)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
reststep

reststep
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 1:08 pm 
Great Peninsula Conservancy https://greatpeninsula.org/

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Lindsay

Lindsay
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 1:08 pm 
You can also support one of Washington or Oregon's regional or local land trusts! Here's link to a map of most of Washington's land trusts: https://walandtrusts.org/about-us/our-land-trusts/ Here's a link to a list of many of Oregon's land trusts: https://oregonlandtrusts.org/about-us/coalition-members/

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 1:31 pm 
I am a huge fan of land trusts and private land conservation. The general concept is the non profit acquires private land and puts it into trust in perpetuity (forever) for the benefit of the public and the environment. The private land is acquired on the fair market, so the previous land owner is voluntarily selling (or donating) their land. And there are existing tax laws that make it a good deal for the land owner to sell or donate their land to the land trust. The classic example is the rancher or farmer who wants to ensure their ranch remains rural and wild for the rest of time, and is afraid that their heirs may subdivide the land and sell it off for home construction. The resulting land trust, while still being privately owned by the non-profit, is open to the public to recreate in. Others have mentioned some good land trust non-profits above. One of my favorite is Forterra, which focuses on the Puget Sound urban area, but is starting to branch out across Washington State.

80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 2:32 pm 
Thanks for the info, I will read up on what the land trusts are about, and also look at the other organizations that you all mentioned, and pick one.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 4:21 pm 
ONDA The Voice of the Desert With more than 10,000 members and supporters, ONDA is the only conservation organization dedicated exclusively to preserving Oregon’s high desert. Our dream? We envision a high desert in Oregon where eight million acres of public lands are conserved to ensure that fish and wildlife thrive and wild places exist for all people to treasure and explore, now and always.

osprey

osprey
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 5:17 pm 
Also the Chelan-Douglas Land Trust https://www.cdlandtrust.org/

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 10:24 am 
What are your priorities? Wilderness expansion? Defending wilderness ethics (however you view those)? Wildlife preservation? Litigating? Funding a small group and being involved? Access to trails? Getting a calendar and a membership card every year? There's as many different groups out there as there are causes. There's also lots of opinions in the enviro community about the best ways to advocate for these causes. For example, I'd never donate to Conservation NW because of their past support for culling wolves. Other people on here probably agree with their strategy. I'd do some research and check in to make sure your values are in line with who you donate to.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 1:57 pm 
80skeys

80skeys
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 2:44 pm 
JVesquire wrote:
What are your priorities?
Without having thought about it much, I would say wilderness conservation. Keeping them untainted as much as possible. In other words, the least human interaction as possible.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 8:12 pm 
Yes, that. up.gif up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Songs2

Songs2
PostSat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 am 
80skeys, With similar interests in mind, I look for small, local organizations, where my donations will have a meaningful impact, then commit myself to knowing something about the org's operation and to advocating for it in op-eds and the like. In considering midsize or larger orgs, I am interested in sources of funding. Some are very good at fundraising through public and private agency grants. An org that gets 3 million/yr in grant funding and more from private donations does not need my $10. I will, however, support a specific effort of a larger org that appears to be running on a separate funding stream, perhaps sequestered from annual budget. Wilderness conservation is a tricky area because once something is officially Wilderness, a different set of regulations applies. Offhand, I can think of no case in which Wilderness was undesignated, back to wilderness (or forest, etc.). The Northeast, with which I am more familiar, is playing out the Wilderness experiment in real time. Woods are seeing heavier use, including wild camping (legal), right up to the point at which a river is uncrossable, e.g., because a bridge has been removed as a nonconforming structure. Use-related changes are accelerating all over, as many threads on this site attest. I will be interested to hear how the discovery process unfolds for you, if this is something you wish to share.