Forum Index > Trip Reports > Switchblade and Lincoln Butte 8/22-23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:10 pm 
I didn't really have a great plan as of last Friday, I didn't even know what I was going to climb as I drove towards highway 20 on Saturday morning. There's always ideas and backup plans but I've just been so tired and exhausted from work this summer I decided on something a little easy that could have been a daytrip but since I had the availability to overnight, I did. The Bridge Creek TH was overflowing in the morning, so I parked along the highway a little after 9am. I hiked down the PCT, taking the creek crossing after a mile to head towards the Stiletto Pk trail. I went there last year after an early fall snow, so I didn't get to go as far as I had wanted. I made up my mind and went for Switchblade Pk, less than a mile past Stiletto. I knew I wanted dry rock for this peak since I've heard it's a loose scramble. Or else, I would have waited for the fall colors and larches. The trail is in great shape, just a couple down logs across that are easily bypassed. It was nice to reach the meadows as some perfectly placed rock cairns guide the way instead of everyone running through the meadows making more trails. There were a few good blueberry patches but seem much smaller this year, but still tasty.
Hock Mtn
Hock Mtn
I traversed my way around Stiletto and over towards Lake 6795. A boot path was found and lost several times but it was easy enough to get over there.
Switchblade Pk over Lk 6795
Switchblade Pk over Lk 6795
a couple goats hanging around
a couple goats hanging around
I wasn't sure I'd be camping here, so I kept everything in my pack and rounded the lake to take the West Face gully to the top. Lots of loose rock but nothing extreme. I reached the summit to some great all around views and spotted a better way back down.
SilverStar area
SilverStar area
McGregor and Dome
McGregor and Dome
Golden Horn and Tower
Golden Horn and Tower
looking down at the pretty lake 6795
looking down at the pretty lake 6795
the way down was a little better and once I got down to the lake, I thought, why don't I head on over to Lincoln Butte. So I kept on going and found a trail that leads to a small lake at Lincoln's base. It didn't look very nice as it was shrinking due to the summer heat. I rounded it and headed up the shrubby slopes. This peak wasn't all that fun with the brush and shrubs but it was still scenic. I found a Fay Pullen register completely dry and signed in. It looks as if 1 party on average a year goes to this peak.
Lincoln Butte
Lincoln Butte
Switchblade
Switchblade
Dagger Lake
Dagger Lake
I decided that heading back over to Lake 6795 would be the best spot to camp. I headed back over there and talked to a couple other groups that were also set up there. Nice people and 1 of the parties climbed Switchblade just hours after I did, it's getting busy up there!
Switchblade
Switchblade
I wanted to swim in the lake but it was so cold, I washed off instead and got dinner ready. the lowering light made the lake very vibrant.
larches and lake
larches and lake
baby and mama goat
baby and mama goat
I went to bed early and woke up later than I'd like. I got my stuff ready in less than 10 minutes and was hiking by 645. The hike out was easy and I didn't see anyone til I reached the highway 18.25 miles 7400' elevation gain 2 days

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:19 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
Switchblade
Switchblade
Oh yeah!!! That's my kind of mountain! I love that profile!!! I know that feeling of being wiped out from work and not being able to decide what peak to climb. I can totally relate to that, a little too well actually. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention! Nice looking trip!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 9:51 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
I've just been so tired and exhausted from work this summer
Even the most energetic get tired working in heat! Good work on this neglected fine peak, Eric! I remember camping up high on Lincoln Peak, then going over to the former lookout site on Stiletto. Interesting theme..any thing that can stick a fellow! (Dagger, Stiletto, Switchblade). Must be either Beckey but more likely Roper. EDIT: John Roper informed me that the legendary Dallas Kloke is responsible for the gangsta theme.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
John_B

John_B
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 pm 
For what it's worth 6795 is known as Stiletto Lake. Cool pics, I've got a trip in mind for that area this fall.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 am 
Nice looking trip Eric, thanks up.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:49 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
I've just been so tired and exhausted from work this summer I decided on something a little easy that could have been a daytrip but since I had the availability to overnight, I did.
A relaxing 7400' weekend! embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

Art is an adventure.
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 12:17 pm 
Love that area....And Switchblade has a nice profile from the east, too, as I remember. cool.gif
Switchblade
Switchblade

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 5:30 am 
Awesome area! We did Stiletto a few days after you last year and I was wondering what it looked like further down that ridge! I love how quick you get up to the alpine on that trail. Thanks for the insight, cheers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 1:51 pm 
Very cool place...Nice TR; glad you got the sunny trip streak going now!