Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Twin Sister ~ August 19, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 3:27 pm 
After two days of getting scared and being out of my element rock climbing in the Liberty Bell Group last week, I was ready for another hike and scramble. Beth, Jake and I left Bellingham early on Wednesday morning and made good time out to Mosquito Lake Road. We then made exceptional time from the gate at the Middle Fork Nooksack to the climbers trail that climbs into the basin below North and South Twin. wink.gif
old cabin remains
old cabin remains
South Twin first look
South Twin first look
From the basin, we shot up to the west ridge of South Twin as soon as it looked viable. Its been 8 years since I climbed South Twin's northern neighbor. I forgot how unique the scrambling is up there for the Cascades!
an exposed move on our route to the ridge
an exposed move on our route to the ridge
tightening the laces
tightening the laces
We the scrambled either on or just below the ridge crest until we were a few hundred feet below the summit. Good times!
From here, many parties descend slightly and climb a class 2/3 gully that leads up to near the summit. Instead of doing that, we scrambled up into a large open book feature just right of the ridge crest. Some low 5th moves with intense exposure brought us to easier terrain and the summit before 11am.
so fun
so fun
all smiles
all smiles
awesome up there
awesome up there
enjoying the summit
enjoying the summit
We hung out for a bit, then went back down the way we came with a few route deviations to avoid downclimbing the gnarly stuff. We were having beers in Bellingham before we knew it. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 pm 
Only have been there in winter snow a great climb all seasons.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gorp

gorp
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 9:16 pm 
up.gif is that threatening "permit required for all access" sign still on the gate at the bridge?

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 3:16 pm 
Well done! After doing North Twin I was given the impression that South Twin required rock climbing. I think I will need to go back and tag that one now that I know better smile.gif

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 am 
TheWaterboy wrote:
Well done! After doing North Twin I was given the impression that South Twin required rock climbing. I think I will need to go back and tag that one now that I know better smile.gif
The open book is memorable, even after 30 years. I understand it is avoidable by traversing out on the sw slope. I thought at the time that S Twin W Ridge was every bit as aesthetic as N Twin's W Ridge. Long sustained scrambling. I didn't take a camera so it is nice to see this TR. I doubt it will lead to a flood of activity, but lovers of scrambles should take notice. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
RichP

RichP
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 6:33 am 
My trip to South Twin Sister was foiled by a humungous overhanging cornice on a late-spring traverse from North peak 19 years ago. We were approaching via the glacier on the east side. This report has me thinking I'd like to go back and stick to the rock.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 pm 
Awesome trip yall! rocker.gif Such a fun route! Thanks again Fletcher for the Intel! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin