Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recommendations for 1-person UL tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Franco

Franco
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 2:36 am 
"Gear today is outrageously expensive. It's gone corporate, in a big way.' Not sure about that if , as we should, we adjust for inflation. For example I had a look at the cost of a Tarptent similar to the ProTrail in 2003 compared to now. It was $179 then , that is around $245 now inflation adjusted.The ProTrail is amuch better tent (benefits from 15 years of tinkering with that design) and is $229. Going much further back I remember a guy going on about how cheap is TNF tent was in the mid 70's , only something around £70 . well , at that time in London it was two weeks wage for me.....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:00 pm 
The trick is to follow someone around who buys the latest at full retail and tosses it in the closet. Then buy their discards for cash. My favs: Tarptent contrail/protrail if you can easily stake. BA Copper Spur if you need freestanding. I also like the various ZPacks shelters especially altaplex, again with stakes. If you get stuck, I have an extra Contrail you can have for $150

Franco

Franco
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 3:16 pm 
BTW, I have seen that "gear is so expensive now" comment often in the photo forums too.Same as here that is not true at all. So sometime ago I started to think of why people make those comments and one reason I came up with is that we spread our earnings over a much wider field then before. In other words , we buy more stuff so it may appear that a single item is more expensive than it used to be because we already have spent a good chunk of our earningson other things.(that and of course because some compare dollar for dollar rather than a percentage of the wage) Even within a hobby it isn't all that unusual to have multiple choices , so for example 2 or 6 backpacks and tents and sleeping mats and so on. Here is an article along those lines : https://www.becomingminimalist.com/clutter-stats/

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 4:51 pm 
I have a Zpacks Hexamid Twin that I never use, since I bought a Six Moons Skyscape X. It weighs just under 20 ounces including the carbon fiber poles so that you don’t need to use trekking poles. I have the older style with bug net floor and a separate bathtub floor. It also has the “beak” not the “storm doors”. The one reviewed in the below link is just like mine. $200 is my price. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/ultralight-tent/zpacks-hexamid-twin-tent

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 6:23 pm 
Before ultralight was ever a term, when I was 13 I biked on a three speed Schwinn around the Olympic Peninsula from Tacoma in 6 days ( my Mom accompanied us five teenage boys on her 3 speed and was the treasurer...., 35¢ /day/ boy for lunch....I would buy a pound of C&H Dark Brown sugar and a can of S&W applesauce and I was good 'til dinner, but I digress...) We each used just a plastic 9x12 tarp that we would string on a rope between two trees. We would arrange the rope into a triangle with the rope at the peak and then held in place at the two opposing ground level points by rocks. If bugs were a problem I think we just used Cutters....or swatted a lot....I can't recall, this was 60 years ago and we were tough especially Mom.💕 The plastic tarp and rope combined weighed much less than 1 pound, and I imagine cost about a buck or two. . Obviously this wouldn't work in strong wind, snow, or in the absence of trees for support. It worked great, even on our two rainy nights. But it also makes me long for the simple days when we didn't know any better, and no super light super costly super technical things were available to choose from as is the case today. We just went for it. I haven't used that tarp system since....😑

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
cyclaaz
cyclaaz

cyclaaz
cyclaaz
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:24 pm 
I also use the X-Mid 1P by Dan Durston and Drop. It is a great value and I highly recommend the tent. Get more info at durstongear.com amd drop.com.

Songs2

Songs2
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:32 pm 
Brushbuffalo, You had a Schwinn! Living big! In the very ancient past, before credit cards were a common household item, other forms of payment existed: layaway and rent to buy. The latter provided my first tent, the former a Leica lens. I've looked at ultralights, tarptents, and so forth. Many seem fragile (especially zippers), or they go out of production (Nemo), or they require/suggest a hiking pole to set up, for the pack weight of the tent to drop a few ounces. Still looking ...

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 6:11 pm 
Brushbuffalo - thanks for the blast from the past. Kinda neat. Wish my family had liked to hike.

filbert

filbert
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 9:17 am 
I bought the Six Moon Lunar Solo years ago. I found that the footprint enornous, and setup tricky. I could depend on lots of condensation. Wanted to like it -but came to *hate* it, though it was light and semi-reasonably priced. More recent models may be easier to setup, but unlikely to reduce the footprint. Eventually got a BA firefly, about the same weight but more real interior space, much smaller footprint, and super simple to setup. Main beef is the door on the end is awkward compared to a side door.

With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and still there are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as progress.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 2:09 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
Gear today is outrageously expensive. It's gone corporate, in a big way.
imagine how much a car would have cost in 1970 with airbags all around, computer controlled traction system, computer controlled fuel injection, back-up camera, lane divergence alarm, hybrid engine and it ran until 300,000 miles with minimal repairs? 1,000,000's Get off my lawn! I had a Schwinn banana bike with the tiny front wheel and a shock absorber. I think it was the super fancy 5 speed with a stick shift mounted on the bar. A nut cracker if there ever was one.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 pm 
UL on a budget? Campmor tarp and Adventure 16 bug bivy? Vintage Henry Shires Tarp Tents?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 3:00 pm 
Here is Gossamer Gear's The One on sale now for $209.47. The Two is also on sale for $281.25. I don't have personal experience with either but I know some who do and like them. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:41 pm 
I've gotten all of my tents either at the REI Garage Sale, the REI Outlet in the closeout section, or used off of this forum. We don't have very much disposable income after bills, and I have kids I have to get gear for, too, so I hear you about cost. It took me a long time to get enough gear for us to go backpacking, and then my son decided he didn't like backpacking or camping any more. Sigh. Anyway, one UL tent that uses trekking poles is the Big Agnes Scout. I got mine used at the REI Garage Sale. It's super light, and holds up OK in the rain, though it doesn't have much of a vestibule for your pack. It packs down really small. We also use the Big Agnes Fly Creek when we want a bit more structure. We can just put up the tent body and have it open to the stars, or put the fly on for more protection. This tent has served us really well for camping in different weather. Big Agnes makes good quality gear and they've served me well when I needed repairs.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 1:14 pm 
FWIW: I used a Marmot Tungsten 1P during a 46 day bike tour. It is a decent tent and worked OK and is still in good shape. I got it on sale. But If I was to do that tour again, I likely would bring my REI quarterdome 2P tent. It is only slightly heavier and the I found that the 1P tent was not especially stable in any sort of cross breeze due to the narrow profile. I'll be happy to sell you the Marmot Tungsten 1P tent cheap, it is green in color. I slept in my hammock most of the time, so the tent has under 10 nights of actual use. For summer backpacking in the last several years I've used the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape. It's very light. It is tight enough that when I brought my dog, I also bring a large garbage bag for my pack to stay dry in outside the tarp so there was room for the furball next to me.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 2:10 pm 
Agreed