Forum Index > Trip Reports > A week in the Olympics (Point 6759, Cameron, Lost, Claywood, Fromme, Sentinel, McCartney)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Silas

Silas
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 3:55 pm 
We left Port Townsend at a leisurely pace, stopping for coffee in Port Angeles before heading up to Obstruction Point. Lines to get into the park were moderate. 15 Subarus at the trailhead. Hiked the high route up and over Moose to Grand Pass and camped at a tarn next to Point 6759. Tried to fish, but didn’t seem like it had been stocked recently. Ate salmon burgers for dinner (we didn’t catch the salmon in the tarn, we bought frozen salmon patties at the Port Townsend Coop). Ran up the peak around 11pm the first night. Great view of the Sizzlers in Tukwila and the Chili’s in Arlington. Lights abound.
The next morning we awoke to sprinkling rain. Packed up and passed some PNT hikers at Grand Pass. What a feat. I was envious of their small packs. They were envious of our Margaritas and eggs. Descended into Cameron Creek and had a great day exploring Upper Cameron Basin and swimming in the creeks. Lots of urine-drinking deer in Cameron Basin; looks like they have supplanted the goats at the top of the pee-drinking food chain in the Olympics. Anyway, I must stop myself before going down a tangent…
Day three began. Our group of five went up Cameron Pass. We dropped packs. We sidled over to Cameron. Reminded me of Choss-fest 2019. Descended into Lost Basin where we would stay for three nights. Slept near the upper lake. A few of us climbed up Lost while a few of us picked berries for dessert that night.
Day four was one of the best six days of the trip. We packed day-packs filled with calories and water and headed south towards Lost Pass. Went up and over Point 6068 and decided to go for the Claywood summit. Past reports had reported that the route went. It did. Lunch was spent swimming and fishing in Claywood Lake. The north ridge up Fromme was spectacular. Sheer 1000-foot cliff on the left with expansive views of Thousand Acre Meadows, Deception, Mystery, and the blue sky. We descended to the Hayden Pass after the summit and summited Sentinel. Also saw this engraving by H. Peck in a tree from, what looked like, 1905. Any ideas on the history? Was up from Dose Meadows (pic below). Back at camp at Lost Basin for some late-night swimming and some ciphering.
Day five was a rest day. Picked berries for pancakes and eggs. We jaunted over to 1000 Acres. Played cards. Attempted some Monday crosswords. Ate food. Watched a bear ascended talus at a moderate pace. Hiked back right before sunset. Views over Olympus were special.
Day 6: easy slopes west of Cameron Pass lead to a great lunch spot below Point 6728. Watched a mother bear and 2 cubs sprint through a meadow. We fought horrible choss to make it to the summit of McCartney. We completed a dicey descent to Lillian right as the shade crested over the last of the lake. Unfortunate. Also, no fish.
The last day we hiked back to the car. Much to our disappointment, the pandemic was still going on. Overall, this trip had some spectacular views, but there was a lot of choss skiing or scree-ing as we called it. We saw thirteen bears in total. Maybe that is bad luck, but who knows. Heavy packs are hard on choss. Not sure why we carried so much stuff haha

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 5:12 pm 
Beautiful pics, looks like lots of fun! I had the pleasure of visiting those peaks and valleys a few years a go (felt like I was going to get struck by lightning on Claywood, there was some interesting weather and "charging" going on that day). That's definitely a fun area to wander around in.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 pm 
What an incredible week! Cameron Basin is one of my favorite places. Thanks for sharing your trip.

KidCormorant

KidCormorant
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 6:40 pm 
Here's a guess on the engraving: Rudo Fromme was the Forest Service Superintendent of Olympic National Forest from 1911-1926. He graduated from the Yale School of Forestry masters program in 1906. In 1905 he led a group of forestry students in ONF and to the Hayden Pass area. Maybe this was a marking from one of the students? Fromme also liked to name features in the park after his colleagues. Other members of the Yale School of Forestry include Graves, Stuart, Noyes.