Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 7:15 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
This thread is fun!
That's because yer just trolling.
rocknclimb wrote:
Literally watched a park ranger yell and chase a bear from Hidden Falls 3 days before my encounter (Likely the same one as it was only 1/5 mile apart). Got big, loud, and chased it into the brush. Then proceeded to yell at everyone to put their food away in a not so nice tone.
Can't help you if you don't understand the difference between this incident you describe and your bear encounter at Jenny Lake. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Can't help you if you don't understand the difference between this incident you describe and your bear encounter at Jenny Lake.
If you can't explain the difference in a concise manner the difference is inconsequential. So one hundred words or less, explain.

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 7:46 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Not buying it Cyclopath. I've had deer, goats, marmots etc. wander right thru my camp numerous times, sometimes only a few feet away. Many animals are not even slightly alarmed by human presence.
Many welcome the human hand that feeds them, in fact...until winter comes and they all die. The animals that returned to Yosemite valley and other national parks when they were closed, those were just the pathologically shy ones? Not trying to pick a fight but in this case I don't see that your anecdote proves a whole lot. The only critters I can see that truly benefit from human presence, aside from the domesticated ones, are mosquitoes and ticks. And mosquitoes are about to change their minds as we start releasing gene drives. To be sure, I'm not going to stop hiking or picking berries because of the potential impact on wildlife, but humans can only degrade wilderness (as we currently conceive of it). A conscious presence to experience the wonder, however, IMO makes things OK in the end. After all, we ourselves are a creation of nature, and a more holistic definition would include the human presence.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 8:22 pm 
New FKT on the Oregon section of the PCT -- 453 miles in 7 days, 19 hours and 23 minute -- wow. She also raised $32,000 for cancer research -- to honor her mom who was also a runner but had recently died from cancer. https://gf.me/u/yjqxs2 https://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/runner-breaks-record-on-oregon-pct-in-seven-days?bwf_dp=t&bwf_entry_id=67476&bwf_token_id=21990&bwf_token=jdDFVblaTMiix7ZyLmJW35RwN&fbclid=IwAR10Arql64oDxyHzVzKIxmuPB1oVodmI7MmuF3-3JDsFk9mmvmYCdoWKnO8

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 8:25 pm 
Randito wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Can't help you if you don't understand the difference between this incident you describe and your bear encounter at Jenny Lake.
If you can't explain the difference in a concise manner the difference is inconsequential.
So one hundred words or less, explain why your statement is true. Is it really true? I doubt it. Ain't going to bother counting words but in the interest of being concise, the reason for hazing the bears in the two incidents are completely different according to the information rocknclimb provided. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Hmmmm
RumiDude wrote:
So am I trolling or is it a lack of understanding? You seem to be conflicted on your thoughts of me. I am merely explaining my recent experiences as a trail runner, hiker, & climber in the Tetons over a 14 day span. This started as a bash on trail runners that they shouldn't be on "busy trails" or "they don't carry the essentials" or "they don't have time to experience nature"....blah blah BS! I merely began to point my recent wildlife encounters while trail running down there as examples of how runners have great wilderness experiences. Then the thread delved into "I harassed the wildlife"! Seriously, the f### out of here with that nonsense.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
The group behind thanked me and asked if I would be willing to hike w/ their group for a bit. Said "Sorry, no I'm running the trail".
Translation: "My time is too important to help others." Thanks for confirming my thoughts about trail runners.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 9:20 pm 
Brian R wrote:
rocknclimb wrote:
The group behind thanked me and asked if I would be willing to hike w/ their group for a bit. Said "Sorry, no I'm running the trail".
Translation: "My time is too important to help others." Thanks for confirming my thoughts about trail runners.
lol.gif moon.gif This was after 30 seconds with the group at a stopped pace during the bear encounter. We both waved and laughed to another as the comment was said as I left. I sure as heck wasn't going to stay at a pace of a family of 5 w/ 3 little kids. Sorry, not my responsibility.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 pm 
This thread is such a dumpster fire.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
So one hundred words or less, explain why your statement is true. Is it really true? I doubt it. Ain't going to bother counting words but in the interest of being concise, the reason for hazing the bears in the two incidents are completely different according to the information rocknclimb provided. Rumi
So you can't explain, other than some vaporware claim that they are "completely" different. What a bunch of balderdash.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:39 pm 
Randito wrote:
New FKT on the Oregon section of the PCT -- 453 miles in 7 days, 19 hours and 23 minute -- wow. She also raised $32,000 for cancer research -- to honor her mom who was also a runner but had recently died from cancer. https://gf.me/u/yjqxs2 https://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/runner-breaks-record-on-oregon-pct-in-seven-days?bwf_dp=t&bwf_entry_id=67476&bwf_token_id=21990&bwf_token=jdDFVblaTMiix7ZyLmJW35RwN&fbclid=IwAR10Arql64oDxyHzVzKIxmuPB1oVodmI7MmuF3-3JDsFk9mmvmYCdoWKnO8
This is great - trail running with a non-selfish purpose.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 8:49 am 
Randito wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
So you can't explain, other than some vaporware claim that they are "completely" different. What a bunch of balderdash.
I note you did not answer my question. It's obvious you can't. Secondly, I did explain and did it concisely (100 words or less) as you asked. Any lack of understanding is on you. Rumi

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 9:15 am 
Joseph wrote:
This is great - trail running with a non-selfish purpose.
Adding to the dumpster fire... Does this logic apply to hiking as well? I, unfortunately, have hiked all my selfish hikes without raising money for a worthy cause.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 am 
rocknclimb wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Hmmmm
RumiDude wrote:
So am I trolling or is it a lack of understanding? You seem to be conflicted on your thoughts of me.
I am not conflicted, it's both.
rocknclimb wrote:
I am merely explaining my recent experiences as a trail runner, hiker, & climber in the Tetons over a 14 day span. This started as a bash on trail runners that they shouldn't be on "busy trails" or "they don't carry the essentials" or "they don't have time to experience nature"....blah blah BS! I merely began to point my recent wildlife encounters while trail running down there as examples of how runners have great wilderness experiences. Then the thread delved into "I harassed the wildlife"! Seriously, the f### out of here with that nonsense.
Hey, we are all just sharing our experiences and opinions. First off I don't have an issue with trail runners, I think trail running a legitimate backcountry activity. I take it you do as well. You related a recent experience about trail running and markweth noted that your account indicated you harassed a bear because it was in your way on the trail. I chimed in agreeing and stating that harassment of wildlife is one of my pet peeves. You seemed to justify yourself by posting photos of several recent occassions you harassed wildlife and then finished by telling of observing a ranger haze a bear from a campground(?) where people were attracting the bear because of improper food storage. The final bit you offered was the cheeky observation that this thread was "fun". I noted that it was "fun" because you were trolling and that there was a fundamental difference between your harassment of the bear on the trail and the actions of the ranger. You could have kept your experiences to yourself but you chose to post them. Don't tell us to get "the f### out of here with that nonsense" when we criticize. Rumi

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 9:45 am 
Quote:
Or, maybe just not go out of our way to harass wildlife and accept that our mere presence will indeed have impacts and do our best not to add unnecessary impacts? And perhaps call out bad behavior when we see it? Those sound pretty good to me.
+1
Quote:
Literally watched a park ranger yell and chase a bear from Hidden Falls 3 days before my encounter (Likely the same one as it was only 1/5 mile apart). Got big, loud, and chased it into the brush. Then proceeded to yell at everyone to put their food away in a not so nice tone.
Park rangers have info you don't. Sounds like that bear might have been getting aggressive about food at that spot (hey, maybe because people were hazing it away from where it SHOULD be feeding!). Just because a person sees someone do something as part of their job, that doesn't mean a member of the public gets to do that same thing.