Forum Index > Trail Talk > NPS annual pass not arrived; will they take email receipt at ONP entrance station?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Double_E

Double_E
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 12:59 pm 
Anyone have first hand experience with showing an email receipt of a purchase of America the Beautiful pass (or similar) and them allowing you in with that at a NPS entrance station? The USGS store site where you buy the pass says that's not legit, but, maybe given the current times...? I'm probably going to ONP Sol Duc entrance in a few days and my ATB pass might not be here by then. Hoping they'll let me slide with my receipt, plus my recently expired pass, plus my (still valid) Annual Wilderness Permit. Called the main park info line, which apparently has no options for actually speaking to a human. And the ONP WIC's voice mail box is full bawl.gif mad.gif I also emailed the WIC but they sometimes take a few days to respond, so figured I'd ask here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ccwaskier

ccwaskier
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 1:16 pm 
Our pass took a long time to come. We didn't go through any entrance gates, but left the printed confirmation on the dash most of the summer and never got a ticket. Our confirmation email had a date that said you could use the piece of paper until and we continued to use the paper well past the date with a note saying the pass had not arrived and we didn't have any issues. Our pass finally came, but it took a while.

bk

bk
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 pm 
My pass took about 25 calendar days to arrive. At least they hole-punched "Aug" (and not "Jul"). It was ordered online Saturday, Jul. 18th. (with email receipt self-saying it could be used as a temporary pass through Sept. 30th). The USGS email notification that it had shipped was emailed to me on Monday, Aug. 10th. It arrived via USPS about two days later around Aug. 12th. (Punched for month of Aug.) That's about 17 business days.....and around 25 calendar days. My July 18th receipt said it was good as a temporary through Sept. 30th. (This was not tested.) It's more readable if printed in a monospace font....though it's still hard to imagine anyone reading it through a windshield. Your plan of doubling down with a copy of the old, expired pass was similar to my plan (again, not tested). It may all come down to the training of the ranger, and their interpretation. The online website seems to say different things depending on which page you're reading. Pre-virus shipping has different rules noted.....one has to look for the COVID links....and it says something like 15 business days.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 4:26 pm 
In July it took 5 weeks from the time the USGS store accepted my order for my America the beautiful pass to actually be mailed, it then took two days to get to my mail box. They had a warning that processing might be delayed due to COVID-19.

murrbn

murrbn
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:17 pm 
I ordered mine back in early June and by 4th of July weekend I still hadn't received it so I printed the email receipt that said "this cannot be used as a receipt". I showed it to the ONP ranger at the entrance shack to get in and he looked at it funny and then waved me through. I used it a few times by just putting it in window as well and never received a ticket.

Double_E

Double_E
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 12:23 pm 
Thanks for the info, all. For future ref, for others.... I ordered mine Aug. 12, got it in the mail Aug. 31. And I never ended up using or even trying to use my pseudo-permit.... ended up doing a different trip where I didn't need one (for unrelated reasons).