Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shellrock, Burnt, Ironstone - 01 sept 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 3:46 pm 
After enjoying Glacier peak area twice in a row recently (painted/red + ruby lake and gamma peak), i thought i would want to try something short and *completely* different. So instead of going north, me and Cookie drove south. South is rare for us. South cascades are less dramatic and interesting than north. it is very hot. except for goat rocks and other major volcanoes, there is no permanent snow I know of and Cookie needs snow to roll. But once in a while it is interesting to checkout different places too. I drove to the end of forest road 1382, just off white pass. the road is in good condition, except for the last rocky park i choose to walk that last part. no forest pass required. no other cars at the trailhead. it was super hot (my garmin backpack thermometer recorded 106F at peak) and miserable on open slopes in the sun. Cookie refused to walk and got a ride on my shoulders half of the way. She farts smile.gif
There are lots of confusing trails and lots of blowdowns. Many trails look kind of abandoned. An intersection of 3 trails was marked by this very helpful sign.
There is almost no water, but at least it is shady in the forest. So this was nice. We first hiked to Shellrock and enjoyed the amazing columns. There is like half a mile of them.
The summit itself is littered with this crap
We saw a hawk. Is it Cooper's hawk?
And a ground squirrel.
Interesting technique - she made the incision in the cone and hollowed it out.
From Shellrock we got confused by the trail that leads to a small lake, but eventually got back to the main trail and continued to the Burnt mountain. Burnt Mountain is not actually burnt, it is burnt in color. It is super open and was most hot. We saw a distant forest fire from Burnt. Chikamin?
On the way back we also scrambled to the top of Ironstone mountain. Unlike Burnt and Shellrock there is a fancy register on the Ironstone. Also more fancy columns
It was a short, but hot day. Only 17 miles, 6000 ft gain for 3 mountains plus random wondering when lost smile.gif No other humans seen. Perhaps this is a great area to explore when weather cools down later in autumn or during winter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 4:41 pm 
That fire is likely the Jungle Fire up the Little Naches just off of Hwy410. Actually, I take that back. It seemed far to the east and after some research I see that there is a new fire toward Naches called the Evans Creek Fire.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 5:13 pm 
Those columns are cool! I had to do a double take on a few of the photos, looks like the ruined remains of an old castle somewhere in Europe!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 5:25 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
That fire is likely the Jungle Fire up the Little Naches just off of Hwy410. Actually, I take that back. It seemed far to the east and after some research I see that there is a new fire toward Naches called the Evans Creek Fire.
Thanks for correcting me. I only knew about the Chikamin fire. Seems we are lucky this year and fires are not as big as usual.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Those columns are cool! I had to do a double take on a few of the photos, looks like the ruined remains of an old castle somewhere in Europe!
They are cool. They are probably the only good reason to visit the area smile.gif Because basalt columns are so angular, they always seem like not natural, but human made. I had the same curious feeling with the pile of rocks I found on Angry Mountain this year: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8031946.
kitya wrote:
But Shellrock columns are more castle like!

RichP

RichP
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 5:34 pm 
The William O is a fine place to explore. Hoping to get in a trip to Arnesons this year when the skeeters die out myself.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 5:39 pm 
RichP wrote:
The William O is a fine place to explore. Hoping to get in a trip to Arnesons this year when the skeeters die out myself.
I have not seen too many angry bugs this year at all. They are mostly friendly and bite less than previous years. I was not bitten at all yesterday in the area.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 pm 
kitya wrote:
RichP wrote:
I have not seen too many angry bugs this year at all. They are mostly friendly and bite less than previous years. I was not bitten at all yesterday in the area.
Late October could be nice for western larches. Haven't checked Arnesons but the Bumping to the north and Round Mtn to the south have nice larches intermingled among the evergreens. Round /Twin Mtns: (two weeks early)
Starting to turn
Starting to turn
Clear Lake below
Clear Lake below
Getting there
Getting there
Ah!
Ah!
Less than a couple weeks more...
Less than a couple weeks more...
Bumping/American
Pleasant Valley Lake descent from Pt 6197'
Pleasant Valley Lake descent from Pt 6197'
Neat lodgepole/larch forest
Neat lodgepole/larch forest
Color!
Color!
IMG_0794
IMG_0794
Upper Bumping
Upper Bumping

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:12 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Late October could be nice for western larches.
Thanks! Western Larches look like an interesting tree to explore! Too bad they are intermingled, but alpine larches are getting more and more intermingled too. I might steal your idea and try to explore the area late in October again. Will be cooler too smile.gif

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:45 pm 
Cool trip. The columns look really interesting. Great photos.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 9:15 am 
MangyMarmot wrote:
The columns look really interesting.
Contraction columns are rather commonly found in basalt and andesite flows and infrequently in shallow intrusions. They are related to shrinkage in volumn as a flow cools and contracts. The cracks ( joints) produce columns that are generally perpendicular to the top or bottom of the flow. Columns vary from a few centimeters in diameter to several meters, column diameter related to viscosity and cooling rate and being nearly constant in a specific flow. The heap of separated columns is a bit curious. As often is the case it can be hard to give a good opinion based on one bit of information ( a single photo).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 10:10 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Contraction columns are rather commonly found in basalt and andesite flows and infrequently in shallow intrusions. They are related to shrinkage in volumn as a flow cools and contracts. The cracks ( joints) produce columns that are generally perpendicular to the top or bottom of the flow. Columns vary from a few centimeters in diameter to several meters, column diameter related to viscosity and cooling rate and being nearly constant in a specific flow
About the Shellrock columns, I do understand that columns are common and that they are sometimes quite large in both height and diameter, what i don't really get about columns on Shellrock is why they are also layered? In every other place where i have seen basalt columns, they seem completely solid, but Shellrock columns almost look like they are made of thin bricks (or shells) stacked on top of each other. I don't know much about geology sadly, I'm sure it is probably a stupid question, but it is curious to me.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 11:56 am 
kitya wrote:
what i don't really get about columns on Shellrock is why they are also layered?
Here is my comment about the horizontal fractures in the columns on Shellrock. This is a post as a follow up to cartman's trip report a few years ago. "Note that most columns have parallel fractures that are perpendicular to the long axis of the column (excuse my verbose description there). The large roughly equidimensional blocks are due to columns breaking up along the fractures. This is common, and when closely spaced as in your "summit jumble" picture is called "platy jointing" (joints are fractures or cracks; joints are distinct from faults, which involve differential movement on opposite sides of the fault plane). In some images you see what look like a lot of flat rock "dinner plates" scattered about. These can form by mechanical disintegration by the platy jointing in bedrock such as in the summit jumble image, mostly due to ice wedging from water confined in the cracks that freezes and expands. It looks like the rubbly slope below the ridge crest is composed of these plates."

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
"Note that most columns have parallel fractures that are perpendicular to the long axis of the column (excuse my verbose description there). The large roughly equidimensional blocks are due to columns breaking up along the fractures. This is common, and when closely spaced as in your "summit jumble" picture is called "platy jointing" (joints are fractures or cracks; joints are distinct from faults, which involve differential movement on opposite sides of the fault plane). In some images you see what look like a lot of flat rock "dinner plates" scattered about. These can form by mechanical disintegration by the platy jointing in bedrock such as in the summit jumble image, mostly due to ice wedging from water confined in the cracks that freezes and expands. It looks like the rubbly slope below the ridge crest is composed of these plates."
Thanks!