Forum Index > Trail Talk > Boat in camping crowds?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:13 pm 
Anyone have a guess what the canoe-accessible camping spots in the san juans will be like this weekend? Totally and completely mobbed? Or are those waters and currents scary enough to the layman to cut down on traffic? On a very related note, have any of you camped on the many pothole islands over by Moses Lake? Thanks! I know this isn't strictly hiking but i figure its close enough...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
On a very related note, have any of you camped on the many pothole islands over by Moses Lake?
It's kind of gritty on those islands when the wind kicks up. I'd been thinking about heading to the San Juans -- but I was going to wait until after Labor Day. IIRC Pelican Beach is named for a Pelican sailboat club that has a big campout over Labor Day weekend.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 6:33 am 
On the large islands most all the beach is privately owned except for parks. The parks are rather picky on allowing beach camping and are typically full on Labor Day especially if nice. Some of the smaller islands allow boat in camping in campgrounds. The currents can be tricky and I would only go in a kayak with a group who is experienced in the area. The straits have already Wayne’s and frequent tanker traffic to refineries in Annacortus and Ferndale. Another factor is ferries book up and require reservations now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 1:58 pm 
Touron traffic through Anacortes is very light today. Haven't seen the usual endless processions on their way out to the ferry, so, who knows, maybe everyone will avoid the area this weekend. If you can still get a ferry reservation, I would go for it.