Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anyone been to the dump/ thrift stores lately?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 8:40 pm 
I've noticed that since a lot of people are not working, looking for new places to live, down sizing and all that whenever I go to thrift stores, the donations are off the charts. And at dumps? They seem to be moving 400% the usual loads and the lines are 10 times as long. All this upheaval seems to be producing a lot of consumer waste at an unprecedented level. But I'm young and this is speculative. What have you observed? Did this sort of thing happen before?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Sep 05, 2020 6:16 am 
Wife and I hit thrift stores weekly, high volume moving through. We hit the books and records hard, look over other things. When things get tossed alot of people assume grannys jewelry is fake. Covid has people cleaning out closets, garages tossing out some real finds. Of course you need to wade through the chaff.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 am 
Ascent Outdoors says they will resume buying used gear 9/8

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Sep 05, 2020 8:22 am 
I live near the Ballard Goodwill Store. It was closed for some months at the start of the pandemic. Once it opened, I was amazed at the DAILY line of cars going 2 blocks down on 8th Ave. for their donation area. They finally had to dedicate part of their parking lot to a donation wait line to ease blocking on the road. I haven't been inside any 2nd hand store since they reopened, though.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 05, 2020 4:07 pm 
I go to Value Village, usually on a Tuesday, since 55 and over get 30% off everything that day. In addition when you donate they will give a tax receipt and a coupon for 20% off your next purchase. I rarely go to Goodwill (except to drop off electronic recycle) because their prices are too high and their senior discount only applies to 62 and older. The past few times I have been to the Marysville store, I haven't noticed an increase in inventory.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 7:12 am 
I've been to the dump at Mountlake Terrace a few times and haven't noticed longer lines. Seemed pretty normal. There's a Salvation Army store near where I work and it seemed normal as well.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 am 
Went by Value Village in Issaquah yesterday, donations line went all the way back to Lake Sammamish blvd.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 4:13 pm 
Four block line to donate at the Ballard Goodwill this morning...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Oct 31, 2020 7:08 pm 
The shirt relates to our invasion of Grenada in 1983. The president needed to show some muscle and we invaded Grenada a small island in the Caribbean which was previously had been mostly known for somewhat non selective medical schools catering to students unable to be admitted to more prestigious mainland schools. A number of Cubans were there assisting the left leading government. The island was invaded by a force of special forces rangers and quickly collapsed. The US the sent in a bunch of foreign aid as was our want. We were in Nepal at the time.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Oct 31, 2020 11:05 pm 
Been to the dump a couple times. Going again tomorrow. Haven't noticed any unusually long lines/wait times at the Seattle Southwest Transfer Station. I'm rebuilding my fence. This doesn't have anything to do with COVID, I simply need a new fence and have procrastinated far too long. In fact, my procrastination is kind of biting me in the butt because 6" wide by 6' long cedar fence boards are in short supply.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 12:37 am 
In Idaho they refer to the transfer station as "The Thrift Store" since they have a section with a covered shelving area for useful items free for the taking, or for the leaving. One can also salvage metal or wood products. Idaho residents who pay property taxes also get a voucher for use at the transfer station. For non residents, it's $5 per load. Anyway, just wanted to point out one other way why Idaho is better than WA. smile.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Idaho residents who pay property taxes also get a voucher for use at the transfer station.
Good idea! Collecting dump fees serves two purposes: 1. Pays at least part of the salary of the folks collecting dump fees. 2. Gives folks of limited means a really excellent reason to dump their garbage in a ravine. So if you live a rental in Idaho you don't get a voucher? OK, maybe not so smart after all.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:38 am 
seattlenativemike wrote:
Four block line to donate at the Ballard Goodwill this morning...
If anybody reading this would like to donate old down clothes or sleeping bags, I would be very happy to take them, and I'll come to you. For a good cause if you love animals.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 12:02 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
So if you live a rental in Idaho you don't get a voucher? OK, maybe not so smart after all.
Probably not but the landlord could let you use theirs, as far as I know it's transferable and pretty much unlimited. Plus here in Wa it's $20 minimum, in Idaho as I said, it's 5 bucks.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 2:25 pm 
We used to go to this dump in Branford, CT to find Playboys.... Dirty kids get outta here. lol Dumpsters??? I used to have this Moonstone jacket that I wore on Mt Maude with member Greymatter, loved that dumpster dive find! I traded Longhair27, 2 or 3 Patagonia dumperster finds for 2 store bought Dana Designs urban packs! At Turntables And Trails (Ballard) I picked up a Patagonia fanny pack for like 10 bucks, maybe 7! Useful for keeping phone or camera accessible when hiking. At Wonderland Gear Exchange I picked up a bunch of Green Trails Maps. up.gif