Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 8:10 pm 
Hiked to the top of Mac Peak with my 9 yr old daughter recently. Spent a couple nights camped at that upper tarn. Cool spot. The Deception Creek cutoff trail is still pretty quiet. Saw maybe 5 people over 3 days, not bad for these COVID times.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 12:07 pm 
Went out Friday to Lake Wenatchee area. Hiked up Fall and Shoofly Mountain. Good peaks for a cool, overcast day. I did Fall first then Shoofly. Both peaks are pretty boring with partial trees at summits but still reasonable views. Blueberries on slopes below Fall were good. About a hundred yards west of Fall is a rock outcropping that is a fun little scramble. It rained on the hike out so ended up wet.
hiking up Fall
hiking up Fall
Views toward Clark
Views toward Clark
rock outcrop by Fall
rock outcrop by Fall
Sloan
Sloan
Burned trees on Shoofly
Burned trees on Shoofly

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 9:54 am 
Bearhead was socked in, magnificent view of the fog. Rumor has it there's a 14k volcano.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 11:33 am 
Hiked to Oyster Dome on Saturday with my son-in-law. Great views but way too many people for my liking. Same with the hike the following day to Heliotrope Ridge. Beautiful but the amount of people took away from the enjoyment of the hike.

neek

neek
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 3:25 pm 
Fisher Chimneys route on Shuksan yesterday. Winnie's Slide was icy and Hell's Highway was indeed hellish after my crampon fell off. Endless alpine blueberries along the trail. 20 tents at Lake Ann. Half dozen parties on the summit block but no rockfall issues or bottlenecks (since we downclimbed everything). Started raining on the decent. Roped up for all glacier travel, stepped over a few minor crevasses. Probably better conditions on the steep bits a few weeks earlier in the season. 16 hours c2c.
Ran into another party and did a double rope rap down Winnie's Slide
Ran into another party and did a double rope rap down Winnie's Slide
Quite a change in weather over a few hours
Quite a change in weather over a few hours

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 5:56 pm 
I got my wife out on her second ever backpacking trip. We did the Goat Lake loop in the Goat Rocks, 9/4-5/20. What a great time! But, pretty crowded for a Friday night. We had a couple groups camped very close by, dogs barking, someone in the distance playing loud music all night, neighbors chopping wood for a fire. I'm not used to such things... Heading out on Saturday there were hoards coming in, holiday weekend crowds. I seriously wonder where everyone was going to camp... The good news is my wife liked it and wants to go again! Success!
Lounging at camp
Lounging at camp
Golden hour
Golden hour
Sunset
Sunset
If only Adams had been visible...
If only Adams had been visible...
Evening light
Evening light
Bed time
Bed time
Dawn
Dawn
Blue hour
Blue hour
Sunrise
Sunrise
I loved these clouds
I loved these clouds
How to properly use a mummy bag
How to properly use a mummy bag
Goat Lake
Goat Lake
Butterfly
Butterfly
Adams views near Goat Lake
Adams views near Goat Lake
Backpackers hiking in with Adams looming
Backpackers hiking in with Adams looming

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 9:46 pm 
I carried a road bike much of the way to and from Monte Cristo. The bypass road is a disaster.

Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am 
Did the White Pass - PCT - Pilot Ridge loop this weekend. Campsites at White Pass & Blue Lake were as full as you'd expect for Labor Day weekend but most folks were on their best behavior. Mosquitos are mostly gone but a bumper crop of biting flies showed up at times. Still a decent amount of water flowing around White Pass/Red Pass and on the way south to Dishpan Gap. Much drier between Blue Lake & the N Fork Sauk - one very small stream at ~3800 feet between Pilot Ridge and the river, but otherwise bone dry for ~11 miles. Blue Lake High route is steep (poles suggested for the way down) but not too hard to navigate. Flowers are past peak but berries are going wild.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 1:03 pm 
Thanks for the beta, Hutch! Aaron, I loved your collection of photos from your trip with your wife! Yesterday I had a hunch that we would find clearer skies up on the Cascade Crest, so I twisted Hiking Partner’s arm and we did an exploratory scramble/veggie belay attempt to a lake we have been researching just west of the crest near Stevens Pass. Our attempt failed, but we did find blue skies and fresh air! As a consolation prize we visited Lake Valhalla, which we hadn’t seen since Thanksgiving Day. Hardly anyone was there and it was sublime. smile.gif
Lake Valhalla 9/9/20
Lake Valhalla 9/9/20
Lake Valhalla 9/9/20
Lake Valhalla 9/9/20

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 4:36 pm 
Had a chance to visit a popular spot. Here are the triplets in order from lowest to highest elevation.
Lowest
Lowest
Middlest
Middlest
Upperest
Upperest
Best part of the trip was finally figuring out how the fish get home from the trail head!
Follow that taxi!
Follow that taxi!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 2:46 pm 
Margaret’s Way toSierra Court first hike in week without n95 few people on was up a lot on Chibinski on way down.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
NBL
West Seattle Based

NBL
West Seattle Based
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 10:08 am 
Hibox mountain was misty and ethereal yesterday morning. Fall is descending on us quickly. Most views to the Chimney group were socked in, unfortunately. Summit block scramble is fun but there is an exposed move on the normal (easy) scramble route that I wouldn't want to do if wet. Still patting myself on the back for downclimbing bits of it successfully. Signed the summit register and left a note about the tooth I chipped on a branch on my ascent!

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:29 am 
Went out along Ptarmigan Ridge where the fall colors are just starting to turn. My favorite lake out there was its usual beautiful self...
Mount Baker Dawn Reflection
Mount Baker Dawn Reflection
Shuksan and Baker this morning
Shuksan and Baker this morning
Ptarmigan Ridge this morning
Ptarmigan Ridge this morning

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 9:30 pm 
Went up Hwy 20 today to climb Wallaby and check out the larches en route. Larch turning nicely, still probably a week out. Smoke is still socking in everything.
larch
larch
larch
larch
larch
larch
larch
larch
wallaby summit smoke
wallaby summit smoke
wallaby summit smoke
wallaby summit smoke

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 04, 2020 5:20 pm 
I'd done PCT to Grasshopper Pass starting near Harts Pass several times, but I'd never driven the road beyond that junction before or been further north on the PCT. Saturday (10/3) went with a buddy to change that. We parked roughly midway between Harts Pass and Slate Peak. Went about 7 miles (just beyond Jim Pass) before turning around and coming back. Larch aren't quite prime but coming along nicely. Saw several ptarmigan real up close. Ravens flying around and being talkative most of the day. A decent number of people out but nothing compared to the cluster back along Hwy 20, Maple Pass in particular but pretty much every trailhead right off the highway. That whole adage about getting further away from Seattle to escape the crowds simply doesn't apply anymore.