Forum Index > Trail Talk > Jake Robinson
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:16 pm 
I just can’t believe it, so heartbreaking. He was such a beacon of positivity and such an inspiration. Lots of tears right now. I’m so sorry.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:43 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Jake with his favorite rock in Arches NP
Jake with his favorite rock in Arches NP
This is the best. Thank you for sharing, Fletcher! I'm certain that I'll add numerous photos of Jake from a growing number of trips with him and Selena. Interestingly, we never had a trip in Washington together, but did share time in Oregon, Nevada, and Utah, largely this spring undertaking Ultras. I first met Jake when we crossed paths in August 2018 at Lower Snowy Lake below Tower Mountain. I was in awe of him day tripping it and he noted that he was in awe (perhaps equally so) that someone with fewer than 10 Bulgers to my name was out there by myself. I never understood why he took a liking to me... That's just who he was! His words were generally well considered and thoughtful, his demeanor calm and endearing. His spirits high! While I tend to be a recluse in the climbing community (in person at least), I'll miss this man so much and the light that he brought to the world. I was in disbelief when Selena told me Sunday morning. Heck, I still am. Rest well and adventure on, Jake!
Pilot Peak in April
Pilot Peak in April
Ibapah Peak, UT with an Emu
Ibapah Peak, UT with an Emu
Ruby Dome in Nevada
Ruby Dome in Nevada
Summit Peakbagger entry
Summit Peakbagger entry
Another one, Sacajawea, Oregon's Eagle Cap Wilderness
Another one, Sacajawea, Oregon's Eagle Cap Wilderness
Suave
Suave
That conniving smile!
That conniving smile!
Tourists in a strange land
Tourists in a strange land
We were all in awe of Oregon's Wallowa Mountains and their peculiar geology
We were all in awe of Oregon's Wallowa Mountains and their peculiar geology

jantare

jantare
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 pm 
I'm at such a loss for words. I was only just getting to know him, and it was already so obvious that he was an overwhelmingly sincere, positive, and considerate person. I remember after a long approach hike into the heart of the Olympics to climb West Peak we were harassed by mice all night. They ate our gear, scurried across our faces, and generally caused chaos. When morning came he was still filled with an infectious enthusiasm. Despite multiple setbacks throughout the day, he consistently maintained his positivity even when I was complaining. On several occasions, he had told me how much he enjoyed Fletcher's idea to stash beers in creeks every few miles for a hike out on the N Fork Sauk one hot day. Well, we were hiking out on the hottest day of this year with beer stashed similarly. But, I was a few hours behind to get an extra peak. He left his beer for me, telling me that he thought I'd need it more because it would be hotter in the day for me! Who does that? He will be missed. - Connor
Making his way up to the summit of West Peak
Making his way up to the summit of West Peak
He let me drag him through a Devils Club bushwhack and up a peak that he didn't even really care about, just because I wanted it.
He let me drag him through a Devils Club bushwhack and up a peak that he didn't even really care about, just because I wanted it.
Jake getting ready scamper up the Cradle
Jake getting ready scamper up the Cradle

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 4:55 pm 
Man...at a loss for words like many others right now. I didnt know Jake as good as a lot but knew him well. I reached out to him quite often for any kind of beta and owe him quite a bit for instilling confidence when it was often hard to find. I'm a little bit older than he was but I often looked up to him. It was a f### honor to have got to know the dude through a few trips together and the countless TRs that he posted here! Thanks Jake for being a continued source of inspiration and being a man's man! Rest in peace brother! Cheers...

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
xuanxier

xuanxier
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:49 pm 
I got a call from Adam yesterday and still felt hard to accept that Jake's left us. This is my first time losing a friend and climbing partner. I cannot stop thinking about him. I got to know Jake through introduction by our mutual friend, Adam Walker (Gimplator) in 2017 and at the end of that year we did a 10-day trip into SW desert states, bagged a bunch of peaks including Whitney, and technical climbs like Lady Mountain in Zion. Jake was 2 years younger than me, had incredible speed and endurance that made me feel like being out of shape.. The next year he climbed Jack Mountain via Nohokomeen Headwall with me in May. I remembered he was anxious about the steep snow climbing but I said a second axe would make a difference. I lend him my spare ice tool and watched him soloing up and down the face with no problem. He then had a crazy few months ticking the majority bulk of the Bulger list in one season. His 2-day ascent of Dome and Sinister with Fletcher was one that still blew my mind in terms of speed and endurance. I didn't get to join him much in the summer thank to my IT band overuse pain forcing me to forgo trips that were too physically demanding. In the end of season we finally reconnected, climbed Mt. Ballard along with Trace Gough and Eric Gilberton. In 2019 I finally convinced him to come to BC. Jake, Fletcher and Tyler and my friend Mel Olson climbed and skied Mt. Garibaldi. I tagged along the approach on snowshoes and did The Tent. We then had a fun day climbing Colfax Peak, with Selena and Brenda in May. Towards the end of that year I drove down south and we snowshoed Red Mountain near Cle Elum and earlier in 2020 Jake and Selena came to BC again and we snowshoed Mt. Caspar near Pemberton. That was unfortunately my last time seeing him. I bailed out of Mt. Blum at the very last minute thank to the border closure.. In the end I didn't get to do a ton of trips with Jake but I was invited on a lot of his "project trips" over the last couple years. I now regretted deeply for not coming along. We also talked extensively over the years about beta and mountains in general, like almost every week or two weeks we would exchange some words. Jake knows the WA Cascades better than most people. I had some fun time trying to challenge him on the name-that-peak game but if it's in WA he would figure it out.. In the past few months he expressed more and more interest to climb in BC once the border reopens and I was really looking forward to see him more here. He also talked about to dial back risk tolerance and we talked about to peak-bag all lifetime one needs the majority of trips being "low risks". I consider Kololo Peaks as "low risk". I had no doubt he would have a long and bright future in alpine climbing and peak-bagging. The trips and times I had with Jake would forever sit in my memories. I also had a lot of photos of him, and had written trip reports of every peak we climbed together. Rest in peace my friend.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm 
I first hiked with Jake in 2012, an overnight trip to Warrior Peak with a 17 year old Jake and his Dad. We never got the true summit, something I'll have to do for the both of now. I remember hauling ass on the way out, Jake step for step remarked "you know I like this pace". Maybe more impressively, his dad kept pace too! Now I know where he got his mountain legs from. The dude was fast. Several years passed before we hiked again, Jake remarked to me he did some growing up on a trip to Europe with a friend. 2016 is when he really began to take the mountains by storm. After a few trips in early 2017 it was clear he was something special in his passion for the mountains but more importantly his passion for connecting with members of the mountaineering community. Never afraid to reach out, Jake made quick friends with many of us who do this thing called peak bagging. And how could you not like the most genuine, kind, considerate, and thoughtful young man with such an intense passion for the mountains and his hiking and climbing partners. He was wise beyond his years. In a culture dominated by Instagram and social media and a me first attitude, Jake was old school in his approach preferring genuine real relationships over internet glory. His disdain for social media was a quality of his I particularly admired. I didn't get to hike with him at all the last 2 years, but I'm grateful for the trips we had together and most importantly the way he touched the lives of everyone he met. Just look at this thread! That's the kind of impact this guy had. In a world that needs more people like Jake, it doesn't feel right that he is gone. Take a page out of his book. Leave behind your ego and genuinely connect with the people you care about. Be like Jake. Gonna miss you buddy.
Coleman Pinnacle
Coleman Pinnacle
Cashmere
Cashmere
Ascending Unicorn
Ascending Unicorn
Jake and his brother Charlie
Jake and his brother Charlie
Jake, always making new friends
Jake, always making new friends
Watching the sunset on Glacier Peak
Watching the sunset on Glacier Peak
Jake about to get his choss on - Mt Mystery
Jake about to get his choss on - Mt Mystery
Sunset in Deception Basin
Sunset in Deception Basin
Upper Leroy Basin
Upper Leroy Basin
Glacier Peak sunset
Glacier Peak sunset
Always ahead
Always ahead
Post hole fun!
Post hole fun!
Colchuck Summit
Colchuck Summit

RichP

RichP
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 pm 
I am saddened to hear about this. Condolences to all family and friends. I never met Jake but through his posts on nwhikers and enthusiasm for the mountains I feel he touched many of us. RIP.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 pm 
Jake Robinson was one of those rare souls who truly lived life to the fullest, was extremely humble, and made good usage of every opportunity. This is an extraordinarily sad day for many of us. Last night I heard about what happened. Replaying the scenario over and over in my head; it seemed impossible. How could this happen to one of the safest climbers I know? Despite being an oustanding alpinist, while discussing the 400P list Jake told me "I won't be climbing Lincoln Peak". "Why not?" I asked knowing he was a more skilled rock climber than I while possessing hover feet needed for climbing choss piles. "It's too dangerous" he smiled. While having navigatious conversations Jake replies 'There's only so much beta can do for you - besides, a lot of the fun is figuring things out for yourself'. We've had many interesting conversations ranging from the dangers of social media to detailed route descriptions. He'd always have awesome replies, great gear advise, GPX tracks personally sent to me, first hand beta on a pioneered route, and was loaded to the teeth with inspiration/wisdom. Many folks know about his topography/mapping talents, but his true genius was his ability to navigate and read technical terrain without beta with precision. A rare skill that few have. While sitting alone at the Bulgar party he approached me bringing cheer and encouragement. At the NWHikers social he helped me with an important project decision and offered goodies. Jake encouraged a family member to get back into making beautiful art work and sought every opportunity to do something good. He made sure on Abernathy that no partner was left out of view telling us to slow our pace despite Jake being a human race car. He wrote many awesome trip reports over the years. We climbed 6 Bulgars together which were all amazing trips. He bought my rare favorite flavor on my birthday and made for a fantastic celebration. Blasting 'Burnin down the House' on the way to Dumbell and Greenwood we had a few music dicussions as well. After various trips he'd ask about how it went, give brutally honest accounts of his own escapades on the same place while asking genuine questions. Jake also made sure everyone had a ride to a outdoor party. Perhaps most importantly he was awesome company to be around and had a fun sense of humor. I'm thankful for all that he has done in my life.
Summiting Big Snagtooth
Summiting Big Snagtooth
Jake Robinson Belaying summit of Snagtooth
Jake Robinson Belaying summit of Snagtooth
Jake Robinson on Genius's Summit
Jake Robinson on Genius's Summit
Jake Traversing Ledge to Genius
Jake Traversing Ledge to Genius
Route to Greenwood
Route to Greenwood
On the Craggies
On the Craggies

crobinson

crobinson
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 7:36 pm 
Than you everyone for your kind words. Knowing that Jake is loved and valued in this community means so much to my family and we are so appreciative. Jake is not only my brother but also my first climbing partner. We learned how to climb mountains together and bagged pretty much all of the classic easy alpine rock climbs in the summer of 2016. His ability in the mountains has far surpassed my own and he has since been an inspiration and a mentor to me. This thread will be something that we look towards in remembrance for years to come.
Eyeing up my first ever sport lead in Peshastin
Eyeing up my first ever sport lead in Peshastin
This is also my favorite rock.      Photo taken by Jake.
This is also my favorite rock. Photo taken by Jake.
Speedy in the fisher towers
Speedy in the fisher towers
Whole family that loves the mountains
Whole family that loves the mountains
Hyndman peak
Hyndman peak
Happy about his cable line time.
Happy about his cable line time.
How do I tie a clove hitch with one hand? Glacier course on the coleman.
How do I tie a clove hitch with one hand? Glacier course on the coleman.
Summit of baker a few weeks later with Matias Francis.
Summit of baker a few weeks later with Matias Francis.
City of Rocks.
City of Rocks.
Total gumbies on liberty bell.
Total gumbies on liberty bell.
Jake on Prusik's West Ridge.
Jake on Prusik's West Ridge.
North Spectacle Butte last summer. Jake wanted to tag Maude but I was too tired.
North Spectacle Butte last summer. Jake wanted to tag Maude but I was too tired.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 7:40 pm 
May his memory always be a blessing.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 pm 
My first time meeting Jake was in May 2018 when we climbed the Nohokomeen Headwall together along with Josh and Steven, however I remember very well back in 2011 when I was still in college a young Jake messaged me and we shared some info about a mountain he was interested in, and I could see the enthusiasm just in his words on that Summitpost PM. I knew he would become a very determined amd successful climber right then and there. I was 21 and he was I think 14 or 15 at the time. It was so cool to see someone so young really engaging and really loving the mountains, and reading some of his earliest trip reports on Summitpost on trips with his dad was awesome to see. During that climb on Jack in spring 2018, Jake was just breaking into steep snow climbing in the 60+ degree range and he totally rocked it! That was a very memorable trip. Within a month of that climb, Jake and I teamed up to climb Snowfield Peak and other nearby summits on a couple super hot late may weekdays. I got some incredible photos of Jake at sunset as we enjoyed the view from Neve Peak after summitting Snowfield that I'll share in the photo album for his family. Beyond those two climbs I didn't get the chance to climb with him again as my normal climbing partner continued to be Josh for the remainder of 2018. He was an excellent climbing partner for the two trips we did do together and I am completely at a loss for words that he is gone. It was awesome following his pursuits as a prominent member of the climbing and mountaineering community. May his family find peace.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 pm 
I first met Jake on a hike to Lookout Mountain near Bellingham on a cold, wed day in November 2017. Lookout mountain is a real dumpster peak. The hike is almost all on an access road. You are in the forest the whole time so there are no vies, and at the summit you are greeted by a cell tower. Add to that the crappy weather, and you have a real slog. despite this we had fun talking about all kinds of subjects and making fun of the situation.
Since then, we've had a lot of adventures great and small. From the Inspiration Traverse
to carving turns in the blower powder of Mount McDonald, the gem of the Kent valley as Jake called it.
From steep snow on Three fingers
to summit slash piles and radio towers in the Capitol forest.
Jake always had a great attitude and an excellent sense of humor. This made every trip with him enjoyable, whether you were admiring the sun drenched peaks of the North Cascades or fighting through brush in the rain. He made friends easily, and enjoyed bringing people together. He was always stoked to be in the mountains and ready for the next adventure. His energy and enthusiasm seemed limitless. I will treasure the memories of all the good times we had together. Farewell my friend.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 9:22 pm 
What terrible news frown.gif I never met Jake but always enjoyed reading his TRs. It seems he accomplished more in his short life than many do in their lifetime. Wishing peace and comfort for his loved ones.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 9:24 pm 
I met Jake a few times at climbing events, and he always struck me as an all-around great guy. Super friendly, no ego at all about his climbing accomplishments, and always enthusiastic about mountains. Bluebird, I am so sorry for your loss, and I will keep in mind your advice to "honor his memory by planning for your trips, bringing correct equipment, roping up on all glaciers (even those that appear benign), checking your rappel setup, making sure your anchors are solid, and keeping your party’s abilities in mind at all times."

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 9:26 pm 
I am so very very sorry at this news. I first read about it on bluebird's TR for Jack. Selena, I am sad beyond words for you. I have known Jake for about 4 years and although we have only been on a handful of hikes together, none of them heavy duty, I like him so much for his genuine cheerfulness and willingness to help others. We have corresponded numerous times via email about lots of stuff. He took a real interest in the thread "What's this rock? What's that landform?" Just a week ago tomorrow he met me at the Little Si trailhead to 5:30 a.m. to drive me over to the Mailbox Peak trailhead so I could try the Issy Alps 50. Who but Jake would do that? I miss him as a friend already. The pain will linger for a long time. I still can't believe it.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still