Forum Index > Trail Talk > Horrific fire growth in Oregon/California (Winds) satellite 5pm/9/8
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:31 pm 
Satellite image animation shows horrific fire growth under high winds in Oregon and California due to strong East Winds. Aloft the smoke then is entrained in strong North Winds. https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G17§or=pnw&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24 Pacific Northwest>Geocolor animation

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:37 pm 
Articles in Wildfire Today: https://wildfiretoday.com

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:37 pm 
Yeah it's really bad. My relatives in rural Clackamas County (Oregon) are preparing to evacuate.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:47 pm 
I know some people in north end of Ashland that got mandatory evac orders. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 pm 
Ya, today(and last night) is one of the worst fire days in modern American history. From IR satellite(channel 7 on the new GOES is the best flavor of IR for fire detection and seeing through smoke) it looks like approximately 1/10th of Oregon's national forest is burning. So much fire... The Santiam and McKenzie river valleys are wiped out, there's a fire on the outskirts of Portland, and I haven't even looked at the newer fires that popped up today further south along the I5 corridor in southern OR. frown.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 7:48 pm 
It appears that we have lost the beautiful Opal Creek old growth area that we worked so hard to save from logging in the 1980s and 90s. The little Beachie Creek (now renamed the Santiam) fire blew up and has burned down the North Santiam Canyon (OR 22), now threatening the Willamette Valley towns of Stayton, Sublimity, Silverton and Aumsville. It is expected to merge with the Lionshead Fire. Silver Falls State Park was evacuated early this morning. There's no way to stop a fire with these winds, just try to get people out of the way. There's really nothing to stop it rippng through Salem and going all the way to the coast until the east winds die down. Hopefully they will die down by Thursday.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 8:01 pm 
frown.gif bawl.gif

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 8:15 pm 
I think the population centers of Salem and Eugene are relatively safe... winds are pushing out of the Columbia and up the Willamette, placing those cities under northerly winds, and there's a lot of irrigated low biomass cropland in that valley that won't want to burn much. The IR fire signatures have stopped advancing towards those 2 cities (though the McKenzie river fire is concerningly close to Eugene's eastern suburbs). But those poor river valleys(Santiam and McKenzie) are burnt out and the destruction in so many other parts of OR is terrible:(

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 8:44 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
But those poor river valleys(Santiam and McKenzie) are burnt out and the destruction in so many other parts of OR is terrible:(
Last year while hiking the PCT through Oregon, the destruction of vast swaths of forest was evident everywhere I went. I remarked then that if that kept up there would not be a tree for shade along the PCT in Oregon within twenty years. That may prove to be true. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Opal Creek old growth
Dont those big trees usually survive fires?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 9:59 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Grannyhiker wrote:
Opal Creek old growth
Dont those big trees usually survive fires?
Depends on the fire. A really hot fire like we are seeing in most of these recent fires will get most of the trees regardless. Rumi

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm 
Wow I'm just catching up with the news, forget the trees they're worried the whole city of Salem might burn!

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 pm 
Article below says Jefferson Park burned https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2020/09/09/santiam-fire-mellows-overnight-but-were-not-out-woods/5754242002/ Sad to see one of the most beautiful wilderness spots in Oregon burn, but I assume those flower filled meadows only exist because of previous large fires. Breitenbush hot springs right on the edge of the fire.

tlake

tlake
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 1:08 pm 
We have relatives who lost their home in Talent.

drm

drm
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 1:45 pm 
Folks - Sometimes the fastest moving fires also skip around a lot and leave a lot of unburned areas. The super high winds move embers long distances and some areas, especially west-facing slopes, may just get passed over. Also sometimes they are low intensity and don't actually kill the trees. We just won't know how bad it is until we are able to get in there. confused.gif What is most unprecedented here is how much it has burned in populated areas. When the winds are that strong, about all you can do is get out of the way. We can get in our cars and escape, our homes can't. waah.gif