Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 9:47 am 
kitya wrote:
Both trails are completely obstacle free (at least to the whitepine/whitehorse intersection and to grace lakes). Every log has been cut.
No kidding? Zero blowdown? That is awesome. I guess time has flown, it was 8 years ago (edit: 9 years actually) I went up there and documented the blowdowns. Looked like those trails were not getting any maintenance for years. Maybe the horse guys did it to get ready for some epic fall horse trips. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 11:28 am 
rbuzby wrote:
No kidding? Zero blowdown? That is awesome. I guess time has flown, it was 8 years ago (edit: 9 years actually) I went up there and documented the blowdowns. Looked like those trails were not getting any maintenance for years. Maybe the horse guys did it to get ready for some epic fall horse trips.
It is awesome! Yes! I also been there in previous years and I can compare - it was definitely maintained and recently! The trails in the area usually don't get as much maintenance and not as wide as say PCT, they are definitely narrow and dusty and brushy in places, but I have seen exactly 0 blowdowns. Okey, maybe one tree, but it was very low and branches cut. Perfect! I definitely notice more maintenance this year. Earlier in the spring I met a woman with a horse on the Bootjack trail and both the woman and the horse were incredibly kind and they carried a saw and cut every log they encountered manually. Lots of work!

Andy D.

Andy D.
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 4:51 pm 
Great pictures, thanks for the info! Another one I've been wanting to get to. Impressive that your dog made it! up.gif

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 5:28 pm 
Andy D. wrote:
Impressive that your dog made it! up.gif
Cookie is like a small mountain goat! She can definitely scramble far better than I do!

Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 5:37 pm 
Hey thanks for yet another awesome TR Kitya!! I *just missed* you and Cookie. I was at Grace Lakes yesterday and today (I came in from the Icicle side). I was more than happy with the quantity and tastiness of the huckleberries - I estimated I lost at least 30 minutes of hiking time inbound and outbound snacking along the way. Lower Grace Lake is listed on the State's "overabundant" lakes for fish and I can see why. I had either a solid strike or caught a fish on 9 or 10 casts - but all the fish were tiny. Very unique scenery and interesting views in many directions. Oh - and NO BUGS!! Thanks again for sharing your adventures with Cookie!

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 6:45 am 
Horsemen like the Icicle outfitters log out a lot of the trails on their way in and out. Weather it be hauling gear in for WTA crews or logging out tail for hunters being taken in to the camps. Which consequently will be happening now. Kudos Wa. Back Country horsemen's association also.

NBL
West Seattle Based

NBL
West Seattle Based
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 7:41 am 
What a beautiful area. Thanks for the TR! I continue to be impressed by everyone's super dogs.