Forum Index > Trail Talk > Jake Robinson
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 6:17 pm 
So sorry to see this. Condolences to Jake's family and friends. RIP.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 6:55 pm 
i've been going over some pics i took of Jake over some of the trips we took together. still can't believe it, he will be missed so much. we had several trips on the table waiting to do in the right conditions
Jake leading, Fletcher belaying on Monte Cristo Pk
Jake leading, Fletcher belaying on Monte Cristo Pk
Jake rapping down the notch on Davis Pk
Jake rapping down the notch on Davis Pk
Jake waiting for us in the snowy landscape
Jake waiting for us in the snowy landscape
Jake reaching the remote summit of West Fury in the Picket range
Jake reaching the remote summit of West Fury in the Picket range
Jake down climbing some steep snow from E Fury
Jake down climbing some steep snow from E Fury
Jake on a cool snow rib near E Fury
Jake on a cool snow rib near E Fury
Jake and Selena taking a break on Blum
Jake and Selena taking a break on Blum
Jake downclimbing Clark mtn in the Olys in Nov
Jake downclimbing Clark mtn in the Olys in Nov
Kind of a funny story about our Clark climb, Jake was not afraid to speak up if he felt unsafe. On a snowy, steepish slope that we were downclimbing, in the middle of it he said he wanted a rope. There was a small tree mid way that he was near but in an awkward position. He asked me to come back up and help him get his harness on through his crampons, while he held on to this tree. It was difficult as he's got some pretty big boots especially with crampons on. I gave him a lot of respect for speaking up when he didn't feel comfortable continuing without protection. I did joke around with him on other rope up occasions on other trips we did if he needed help putting his harness on. He had a great sense of humor!

Eric Eames
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:05 pm 
Very Tragic
Snohomish County Sheriff's Office wrote:
SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash. – On Saturday, the Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue (SAR) team and volunteers from Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue recovered the body of a 26-year-old man who died after falling into a glacier hole while hiking. Around 2:30 p.m. Saturday, the male was hiking with a friend on the glacier at Kololo Peak when he unexpectedly fell nearly 50 feet into a hole. The victim’s hiking partner activated an InReach SOS device and SAR ground teams and the Sheriff’s Office helicopter, SnoHawk10, responded to the area. Helicopter Rescue Technicians set up a rope system and lowered a Rescue Technician down approximately 50 feet into the hole where they located the victim deceased. The victim’s body was lifted from the location and flown to Taylor’s Landing where the Snohomish County Medical Examiner took custody of him. The Medical Examiner will provide positive identification of the decedent, as well as determine the cause and manner of death. ###

RossJames

RossJames
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm 
Wow so sad. When I found Peakbagger website I started noticing Jake’s name on every peak. I had no idea how young he was. I have no idea what it would be like to lose someone so young and so driven

geyer

geyer
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 9:22 pm 
I've been choking back tears at work the last few days reading through the stories here and on Selena's Facebook posts. I didn't know Jake as well as a lot of people here but we did go on one trip together about two years ago. In the two years since, we sent pages and pages and pages of messages back and forth, which made me feel like I knew him a lot more than I actually did. For whatever reason, he seemed to like my trip reports, telling me that I didn't shy away from the ugly parts of a trip gone wrong; I liked that about him - a certain candor you don't often find in the climbing community. He liked to keep things honest because it kept the dangers of our hobby in perspective, which is also something he expressed more frequently in recent months, making it all the more shocking when the news broke. I assume my story is like a lot of people here on NWHikers because Jake seemed to know everybody by name, on a personal level. There were times when he'd reference gb, cascadetraverser, raisingthreehikers, brushbuffalo, and others by name and I would have no idea who he was talking about. Heck, he was even planning a hike with BigBrunyon (though he wouldn't tell us their name wink.gif ). But that was important to him. Knowing the community and trusting people enough to be not just climbing partners, but friends. And that's something that will stick with me since Jake was the only the second Nwhiker to ever reach out to me about going on a trip after I joined this site. (And it wasn't just any trip - it was one of his record-setting Bulger ascents.) When he finished the Bulgers, he casually mentioned the Bulger party was coming up in a month or so but I forgot when the day came around and felt terrible for missing out. There were a few other times we tried to make work and I think the closest we got to meeting up was climbing the Howe St stairs in Seattle last winter, which is a testament in itself to the fact that he cared about forming friendships rather than just climbing partners (even if the Howe St stairs are a form of suffering on their own). As someone who tends to insulate himself from other people, there's a lot I can learn from Jake's attitude. The last thing we talked about just last week was the negativity that seemed to be pervading the NWH forums these last few months. You could tell it really sucked the life out of him to see the thing that he grew up with and (often obsessively) pored over going the way of other social media that he had purged out of his life. I think he would have been really happy to see the new "family rule" I'll definitely miss his summit check-ins, camaraderie, and knowledge of the mountains. RIP Jake, you're missed by a lot of people

Roald

Roald
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 pm 
I did not know Jake personally, but his trip reports on this site display the passion, humor, and sensibility that many of the stories in this thread describe so well. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 10:19 am 
I am so grateful for these stories, the photos being collected in the Google Photos album. Please, don't be shy to share if you have a Jake story. The stories are medicine, in their way. The grief is so deep right now, and I appreciate the kind words and support for me that are in some of the stories. Much love to all.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 10:51 am 
So sad, always is. RIP Jake, and condolences to his family and many friends. Let's all try to be extra careful out there!

b00

b00
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm 
Quote:
"It is all about the company and not about the speed for me." Jake Robinson
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nVbRx6RLVfUQPMDw5 from Jake: Hi Brett, This is Jake Robinson, just sending this so you have my email address. Have a great trip... Could be fun to coordinate something when you get back. Jake from Jake: Hi... Thanks for the invite and sorry for not responding in time. Just got back from Jack and was out of service. If you went for it I hope you had a great trip! Jake from Jake: I'm busy as well but thanks for invite Brett. Hopefully we can link up for something soon! Jake from Jake: Hi... I just came across this photo of the summit of Little Tahoma, and it appears as though it's just slightly lower than Rainier. Let's say 14,409'. But then from Summerland, clearly it's higher. What gives? Should I report this to the USGS?? Jake from me: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7984516&highlight=tahoma#&pid=217657a8537251a649e34abacf5e19a9 and yes, you should report this to the usgs :>) ps – great seeing you! it fun hiking with you too! from Jake: Fun hiking with you too, gotta love that brutally steep Teneriffe trail! Hope to see you this winter at VW or on a snowshoe trip, I'm wanting to get up Dickerman next sunny weekend Jake from Jake: Thanks for a great day Brett! Jake from me: asa and i, as john lennon sings, ”talkin’ bout a revolution” on sunday. a little strenuous, but should be fun. join us? :>) from Jake: Interesting you suggested this, as Revolution/Russian Butte was on the list of this week's goals...unfortunately though, "don't you know that you can count me out" of this one since I made plans for Eightmile Mountain already. Thanks for thinking of me, and have a great trip! Jake from Jake: Looks like your friend Jeremy from this trip has the peakbagging bug now smile.gif (I checked out his peakbagger account) from Jake: Thanks Brett! Spickard was a great trip, glad to have views this time. I'm glad you appreciate the nwhikers posts. I go back and forth about how I feel posting on there but ultimately decided that people might appreciate the early season condition updates this spring. I met and climbed Mark Fielding last year at VW. Such a nice guy. He was telling us about Bear, and how impressed he was with the trail that Beckey machete'd in there (entirely a solo effort). Much easier nowadays as is the case with pretty much all peaks. Jeremy, nice to see you're still getting out. You definitely found the right group to hike with! Hope to get out with you both some time this summer. Jake from Jake: Oh and happy birthday Jeremy, how awesome to spend it in the mountains with friends from Jake: Hi Brett, Thanks for the invites! This Sunday, we are going for Monte Cristo and Cadet. Next weekend I am going for Forbidden (weather permitting). It would be great to get out with you and to meet Mike though, I have enjoyed his TRs for many years. Here is a list of some summer ideas, do any of these trips interest you? -Inner Constance -Carrie -Cruiser -Anderson and West Peak -Castle, via Fletcher's route (I think originally it was Silas Wild and Mike Torok's route) -the Temple -Luna, Furies, Challenger, Crooked Thumb -Elephant Butte -Mixup -Jberg -Spire Pt -Agnes and Gunsight -Triumph and Despair -Summit Chief and Little Big Chief -Bears Breast from me: nice work on monte cristo!!! thanks for the invite!!! i am not too fast as you have already seen, but would love to get out with you, as i really enjoyed doing trips with you! most of that list are either too much or things that i have already done. but, carrie, maybe mixup and elephant butte are things i have been putting serious thought to. let’s keep in touch :>) from Jake: Thanks Brett! It was a really fun climb, one I have wanted to do for many years. Glad I was able to join such a great crew to go get it. Eric and Fletcher though, I dunno about those guys, I don't think they had the proper level of experience for the climb. Luckily I'm lead certified at Stone Gardens so I was up to the task. 😉 It is all about the company and not about the speed for me. Would be happy to join you on Carrie, Mixup, or EB this summer. Jake from Jake: Hi Brett, Hope all is well... I figured you might be able to shed some light on this. I'm having trouble picking out the music to my ~7min Bulger slideshow. It's mostly just mountain photos. For some reason the only ideas I've had so far are two songs off Meddle (San Tropez and Fearless) and Singalong Junk by McCartney. Any other suggestions? Jake from me: things i’ve used in slideshows: slavic soul party - teknocheck collision, booker t and the mg’s – time is tight, oliver nelson – stolen moments, peaches en regalia – zappa, billy cobham - red baron, charlie parker – little suede shoes, joe satriani – always with me..., stanton moore – prairie sunset, larry coryell – tonk, dusko goykovic – soul connection, clifford brown - joy spring, johnny guitar watson – i want to ta-ta you from Jake: Oooh great - nice eclectic mix, thanks!(editor's note: he did not use any of my suggestions :>) PS - if you want to get out, I start a new job on the 21st and am free until then. I might head for the Sierra if the weather's bad up here. from Jake: Hi Art and Brett, Here's a link to my video. Hopefully you can download the .mov file and it'll work. Let me know if it doesn't work - if you need a different file format, a different way of sharing it, etc - and I can try to figure something out. Thanks! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u3ps2tjcX-TPzWr9pRIaArbcXR2KQp1q/view?usp=sharing Jake from me: congrats on the new job! i am doing a rehab program to fix some issues i’ve been dealing with ... doing a hike up west tiger 3. we are meeting wednesday 6:30am at ..., followed by doing the tiger free solo and without supplemental oxygen. yes, we know the dangers and the grueling effort we well be subjecting ourselves to. you are welcome to join or if you prefer, we can wave to you from the summit :>) ps – did you make a gps track for your trip up elephant butte? that is actually one of the peaks that has been on my radar for awhile, that i have not been up. from Jake: Bummer about the injuries. Heal up! I will let you know about WT3 - I'll join if I'm not headed south on Wednesday. Thanks for the invite. For Elephant Butte, see the attached .gpx. I also attached a sketch of the route we took on the west side of the notch, as seen from the east. The most difficult part of the trip is the drop to and subsequent climb from that notch (4950' notch at the head of Torrent Cr). It's not too bad if you get it right, but definitely slow going. I dropped a bunch of GPS waypoints at various places with descriptions, suggestions, etc - do you see them? In late July of this year, water was plentiful for the entire trip. Good camping everywhere on Stetattle Ridge, on the ridge extending S off Elephant Butte (beautiful), and on the summit itself (plenty of snow and some liquid water available). It was a very beautiful trip and I hope you make it out there! I'd suggest 3 days minimum, it is a difficult trip - don't underestimate the slow going nature of a lot of the terrain, it takes a while. from Jake: ... we were both commenting that it might be easier as a snow/winter trip, like Matt did wink.gif. But that Torrent Cr part isn't anything to worry about, it just takes a little bit. I've had a peroneal tendon issue since April. Still hiking on it, and it's not terrible, but isn't going away either. Probably should take care of that. PS - I made the waypoints while we were hiking it, not just now. So they should be accurate and not just based on my memory of 2.5 months ago.

pwrobinson
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 pm 
Jake was a gifted, kind, and incredible human being. Anyone who has tried to keep up with him in the mountains will know that he was exceptionally strong and motivated. But as the many stories here reflect, it was his heart and spirit that were most memorable and that made the biggest impression on the people around him. I only knew him for three years, and didn't do nearly enough trips with him--or saw him nearly enough outside of the mountains--but his knowledge and originality were a constant source of wonder and inspiration to me. He was the Prince of Beta. But more than that, he had a contagious love and appreciation for the mountains and geography of the Northwest. Even when winter rains settled in, one could reliably find Jake Robinson on any given weekend slogging his way up to the lesser-appreciated peaks, affectionately known as the dumpster-dives of the Northwest (maybe not all of his love for the mountains was contagious). The mountains seemed to be his muses, and at the same time he had such a full life outside of the mountains. He was the first (and only) person I ever met who could talk about jazz albums (yes, jazz), politics, as well as the joys of integral calculus--all in the same hike. He was also uncannily kind and generous with his words and deeds, and I loved and admired him for that. For those of us who got out with him, I don't know if the mountains will ever be quite the same again.
Rest well my friend.

pwrobinson
cartman

cartman
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 8:05 pm 
I never had the chance to climb with Jake, though I did chat with him a few times at Bulger parties, and his positive outlook and enthusiasm for the mountains was immediately and ever present. A few months ago, after several of us played "name that peak" online and Jake hadn't been stumped, I posted this photo without caption and said, "Name that shadow, Jake Robinson!"
Shasta Shadow
Shasta Shadow
And of course, he did.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 8:22 pm 
Jake was the absolute king of all peak identification games. I tried many times to stump him, but I was never able to.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 10:04 am 
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm 
That was a long sad weekend for area SAR and helicopter units. The base jumper on Thursday. He was 23, Big Heart Lake drowning victim on Friday was 28, and then Jake on Saturday. The recoveries all involved high risk helicopter flights and SAR volunteers. Consider donating to one of your area groups. Perhaps in the memory of...

I'm the guy 911 calls.
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pm 
Last night I came back from 5 days at ONP, and like Neek, I was excited to talk with Jake about my trip. This news is so shocking and devastating. Ruby and I met Jake on the summit of Dickerman a few Decembers ago. He and I had both hiked up for sunset and ended up staying until well past it, talking mountains and of course NWhikers. We hiked down together, and that was the only time I ever hiked with him. But our conversations continued... about remote locations in the Cascades, work, photography, music - especially his singular love of Ween, as well as NWhikers topics du jour, the true identity of BigBrunyon and other members, conspiracy theories, etc. It was rare for a week to go by without us trading messages, and whether he was sharing new info about an obscure route we'd discussed or a draft of the NWHikers bingo card or a Ween song, I was always happy to hear from him. In addition to his impressive Cascades knowledge and the many amazing qualities described in this thread which I wholeheartedly agree with, I was always struck by Jake's wit, and by how he personally knew and obviously cared about so many people in this community. He was thoughtful and happy to share whatever he could. He lent me an ice tool for the Nohokomeen headwall last year and advised me on shoes for Snowfield a few weeks ago. I mentioned missing Ruby once and a couple weeks later he brought his mom's dogs, Ruby and Jasper, over to my house for a visit. And then he sent regular photos and updates on his efforts to turn that Ruby into a hiker before she went off to service dog duties smile.gif As Aaron said, the world needs more people like Jake. I am so, so sorry Selena and Fletcher and Robinson family, and all of us who were lucky enough to call this extraordinary human being a friend. RIP Jake. I'll miss you.

pwrobinson