Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bailey Range Traverse (w/ Cat, Stephen, Ferry, Barnes & Queets) 2020-08/29-09/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mountainflamingo

mountainflamingo
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 5:56 pm 
With more distant vacations on hold for this year my wife and I finally decided to get out into the heart of the Olympics. It was a trip I have wanted to do for quite some time and I'm glad to have seen this amazing country. We went up a handful of peaks right along the traverse, all enjoyable to uneventful, but then we decided to climb Mt. Queets first via an incorrect route and then descended an unadvisable route in the climbing guide. It left us a bit demoralized and we decided to just get home rather than attempt other peaks at that point. A great trip out and I'm looking to get back out soon to try some other variants of the high route. You can read out full trip report here A few photos:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 pm 
I was one of the four camped at Stephen that you saw. The fog burning off that morning was really pretty. We were impressed with your effort to grab those peaks along the way! Did you coin the term 'through-scramble'? An accurate description either way.
Quote:
an unadvisable route in the climbing guide
no truer words could be said. Think like an elk, trust the topo lines and burn the climber's guide is my advice for off trail travel in ONP. I've traveled from QB through Meany Basin to the Skyline and have wondered about the Queets and Meany summits. Thanks for an honest assessment!

rmottenad

rmottenad
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:34 pm 
Great TR! We were a day behind you it looks like and maybe stayed at the same site by the lake in Ferry Basin smile.gif I totally felt your description getting out of the Elwha snow finger and the especially that last 100 yards through the brush to the river. We were so muddy we just walked in the river for 50 yards!

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 pm 
Nice TR and pics! up.gif up.gif Good call on not heading to Seattle Basin via Meany, but there are easier ways to get to the Big Snowhump. smile.gif Thanks for sharing!

mountainflamingo

mountainflamingo
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:56 pm 
Tomlike wrote:
Did you coin the term 'through-scramble'? An accurate description either way.
My wife came up with that as we headed south toward Bear Pass Peak after passing you guys. She probably isn't the first to think that but she is a former AT through hiker I thought it was pretty apt. The through scramble is definitely more my style and seeing only your group for 5 days was pretty special. It was nice chatting with you briefly. Such a special place that I am now looking forward to getting back to.

mountainflamingo

mountainflamingo
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:58 pm 
rmottenad wrote:
I totally felt your description getting out of the Elwha snow finger and the especially that last 100 yards through the brush to the river. We were so muddy we just walked in the river for 50 yards!
I think we got off of the most traveled path and made it more difficult on ourselves, but maybe it always turns into a brush bash. It looked easier to follow from the other direction perhaps, but when I've thought that in the past and returned I was usually mistaken. I hope you enjoyed it overall!

gkallio

gkallio
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 1:18 pm 
Tomlike: Can you possibly elaborate on your Queets Basin to Skyline route? We're doing that soon, leaving Fri, July 23. Thanks, Greg