Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fire closures: entire Suiattle watershed trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 am 
UPDATE: The Downey Creek Fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness grew significantly today and is currently estimated at 350 acres. At this time the following have been closed to ensure visitor safety and wildfire operations. - Sulphur Creek Campground - Suiattle River Road FS Road 26 at Buck Creek Campground - Green Mountain Road FS Road 2680 - Green Mountain Trail #782 - Downey Creek Trail #768 - Sulphur Creek Trail #793 - Sulphur Mountain Trail #794 - Suiattle River Trail #784 from Sulphur Creek Trailhead to the junction with PCT From MBS' Facebook page today, 9/9: (Note their website doesn't have this update, only the original fire notice in August) Glacier Peak Wilderness Area, Suiattle River Road trails The Downey Crk Trail and Sulphur Creek Trail are temporarily closed for wildfire operations and visitor safety. Please respect this temporary closure. We will continue to post updates if needed. This fire is currently 12 acres and is in a wilderness area.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 10:06 am 
Here is a photo I took from Green Mountain Lookout on Tuesday, September 1 of what I believe was this fire. I was camping at Sulphur Creek and the area got a decent amount of rain on the evening of Sunday, August 30. But that was before the dry stiff east winds moved in that we are seeing right now.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 10:10 am 
You're lucky the 'Squatch didn't run uphill away from the fire, and get you!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 am 
Squatch would have been shot by one of the many bear hunters who are up on Green Mountain right now.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 2:37 pm 
Bear hunters do seem to congregate in certain zones much like hikers at Blanca/colchuck/snow lake. Considering how many damn people there are and how few bears seems ridiculous we still allow hunting of them.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 2:47 pm 
Anyway. The hiking trails are closed, so that information is important for those wishing to use them.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 6:16 pm 
UPDATE: UPDATE: The Downey Creek Fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness grew significantly today and is currently estimated at 350 acres. At this time the following have been closed to ensure visitor safety and wildfire operations. - Sulphur Creek Campground - Suiattle River Road FS Road 26 at Buck Creek Campground - Green Mountain Road FS Road 2680 - Green Mountain Trail #782 - Downey Creek Trail #768 - Sulphur Creek Trail #793 - Sulphur Mountain Trail #794 - Suiattle River Trail #784 from Sulphur Creek Trailhead to the junction with PCT
Kim Brown wrote:
From MBS' Facebook page today, 9/9: (Note their website doesn't have this update, only the original fire notice in August) Glacier Peak Wilderness Area, Suiattle River Road trails The Downey Crk Trail and Sulphur Creek Trail are temporarily closed for wildfire operations and visitor safety. Please respect this temporary closure. We will continue to post updates if needed. This fire is currently 12 acres and is in a wilderness area.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:33 pm 
I hiked to Green Mtn Lookout yesterday and the smoke plumes increased substantially during the day. There was Forest service fire truck at the trailhead when we returned with someone watching the smoke plumes across the valley.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 pm 
We were at all of those closed trails a couple weeks ago. I am glad we followed the advice of one of our greatest social philosophers Janus Joplin, “Get it while you can”

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I am glad we followed the advice of one of our greatest social philosophers Janus Joplin, “Get it while you can”
That's how I ended up with a brand-new Corvette back in 1991. Oy vey, the payments.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 9:17 pm 
Yes but was it a Little Red Corvette a little to fast.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 10:20 pm 
During a mid July trip on the Sulphur Mtn trail I distinctly remember remarking out loud to absolutely no one that all I could see in every direction was unblemished old growth, meadows, snow and rock. It's a truly stunning area. I did not encounter Sasquatch but that's probably because I'm not a true mountain man from Darrington and I did not take a short cut through some random drainage.
Glacier from sulphur mountain trail
Glacier from sulphur mountain trail

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 6:53 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Bear hunters do seem to congregate in certain zones much like hikers at Blanca/colchuck/snow lake. Considering how many damn people there are and how few bears seems ridiculous we still allow hunting of them.
You are very misinformed. There is a lot of bears out there. They don't just stand in open meadows shouting here I am look at me. They seek shade and timber during the high temperatures as you would if you were wearing a fur coat. The black bear population is the highest it has ever been

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 10:24 am 
To add to Timber Ghost comments, Washington has long been known as the top state in the lower 48 as to the black bear population. Not sure statistically where the state is now but based on observations and comments from many hikers, and not being able to hunt with bait or dogs, the population has exploded. Other than man they have no natural enemies.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am 
chiwakum wrote:
I did not encounter Sasquatch but that's probably because I'm not a true mountain man from Darrington and I did not take a short cut through some random drainage.
Or eat random mushrooms along the trail. 🤯

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.