Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recommendations for 1-person UL tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 2:19 pm 
I'm very happy with my Big Agnes Copper Spur. I've had the three man for over 10 years and recently bought the 1 person. Good in wind and rain, easy setup, doesn't need to be staked if you're on rock or whatever. Nice sized vestibule and the tent is about 6" longer than most. The MSR Hubba Hubba series is nice, but not as long. Not a fan of tents that require hiking poles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed Sep 09, 2020 4:35 pm 
I also like my BA Copper Spur. Its sort of light and I've used it anywhere from rock ledges to snow. Very well thought out tent. I have two Contrails in the closet. Used to be my go-to but needing stakes and a hiking pole are two things that set them back. I no longer do poles since falling on one and losing a front tooth made me skeptical about them. Instead I have a carbon staff that works. Just got a Zpacks Altaplex and Mountain Hardwear AC2 for evaluation this Fall/Winter I also have a dyneema MYOG free standing MH Direkt knock off with carbon poles. Continuing to see how it works in the wild.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 1:37 pm 
These days you're seeing more and more of these rubes tryin' to 'pack with these huge tents. Family style. Multiple room type deals. Shower rooms within the tent!! Sleepin' 8 comfortably. Really gotta stake 'em down when in conditions!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 2:43 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
These days you're seeing more and more of these
I like the rolled up Sears sleeping bags that are bigger than my whole pack and probably good down to 60 degrees. I went to a concert at the Gorge a few years ago and we camped at Wildhorse. One of the guys brought one of those multi room circus tents. Took him over an hour to figure out how it went together. Only 30 poles. It was the joke of the trip, I think it had a basement, an au pair suite and a safe-room.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
Gear today is outrageously expensive. It's gone corporate, in a big way.
I think I paid something like $425 for a Bibler Gore-tex I-Tent in the late '80s