Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic trail shelters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:18 pm 
During the winter of 2018-2019, the last extant structure from the original homestead community of Evergreen on the Queets, the George Anderson barn, collapsed.
George Anderson Homestead - Queets Valley - Olympic National Park 051519 02
George Anderson Homestead - Queets Valley - Olympic National Park 051519 02
George Anderson Homestead - Queets Valley - Olympic National Park 051519 05
George Anderson Homestead - Queets Valley - Olympic National Park 051519 05
(* see previous photos from October 2018 HERE * )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
haydenslides

haydenslides
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 5:43 pm 
Mink Lake Shelter, July 2020
minklake
minklake
minklake3
minklake3
minklake2
minklake2

haydenslides

haydenslides
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 pm 
Camp Siberia, August 2020 The oldest initials we found in the shelter were dated 1945
campsiberia1
campsiberia1
campsiberia3
campsiberia3
campsiberia4
campsiberia4
campsiberia5
campsiberia5
campsiberia7
campsiberia7

haydenslides

haydenslides
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 5:58 pm 
Enchanted Valley Chalet, August 2020
Z7H+zQYtRQGKltW9hx2Qdw
Z7H+zQYtRQGKltW9hx2Qdw
uW%fjBKCSmqQuc3mhSoA%Q
uW%fjBKCSmqQuc3mhSoA%Q

haydenslides

haydenslides
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 6:14 pm 
Falls Camp Shelter, Upper Gray Wolf River, June 2020 Does anyone know what year this shelter was burned and what the circumstances were?

RodF

RodF
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 1:17 am 
haydenslides wrote:
Does anyone know what year this shelter was burned and what the circumstances were?
Falls Shelter was discovered by a hiker in mid-November 2006 to have been burned to the ground. Its privy, tucked up a side trail into the forest about 50 yards north, had also been torched. Their ruins were still warm and steaming in cool, drizzly weather. frown.gif Thanks for sharing your photos! up.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 2:01 pm 
Church Creek Shelter
Camp Harps Shelter

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln

RodF
haydenslides

haydenslides
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 1:48 pm 
not quite a shelter, but thought I'd share as it will likely disappear some day... Olympic Hot Springs privy- March 13, 2021

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 3:22 pm 
Here's one that used to be at the first creek South of Sand Point (Ozette). There was a standard 3-sided shelter nearby as well
Sand Point Shelter 1970
Sand Point Shelter 1970

RodF
RobertMBlevins

RobertMBlevins
PostSun Apr 04, 2021 5:29 pm 
From the first page list by 'Rod F', a partial quote:
Quote:
'Coastal: Mosquito Creek, Falls Creek/Goodman Creek, Toleak Point, Scott Creek, Cedar Creek (Third Beach), Chilean Memorial, Coastie Head, Norwegian Memorial/Kayosta Beach, Yellow Banks, south Sand Point, north Sand Point (two)..'
Back in the late 1960's on Shi Shi Beach there were two cabins built just off the beach by person or persons unknown, but they were torn down after the dispute regarding ownership of the beach between the Forest Service and the Makah Tribe was finally resolved. Prior to that people used them all the time. The best of the two had windows and a fireplace, although both were also infested with mice. A LOT of mice. The cabins were built from driftwood and anything that washed up on the beach over the years. Sometimes someone would just move into one of them for the whole summer, and hike into the Makah tribal area north of the beach, and pick up supplies from a little general store they had there. Ozette Island: Before Ozette Island became off limits to visitors, (although kayakers still sometimes land there for a bit) you could paddle over and camp there. I did this a few times at low tide. Two deer lived on the island, probably wandering over during a really low tide and then becoming trapped. The only fresh water source was a steady drip from some rocks on the north side of the island. There is a tiny cave near the center forested area of the island, goes in a few feet is all. On the west side of the island, the side you can't see from shore, a rock formation like a dock goes out into the ocean and you could go out onto it and do some pretty successful fishing. I once stayed on the island for an entire summer in the 1980's...only paddling back to shore to hike back to the parking lot at the Ozette Ranger Station. From there, I hitchhiked back to Clallam Bay for supplies, and then packed everything all the way back to the island. Totally nuts, I know. For a long time I had a special relationship with Ozette Island. I almost got killed doing a dumb thing on one of my trips. Lesson was, don't ever try to cross when the tide is high and starting to go OUT. My 40 Years on Ozette Island

vibramhead
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 05, 2021 5:18 pm 
I am very happy you could write that story about Ozette Island. Long time you had spent on that island. I do have a question. I thought the Bodelteh Islands, which are just north of Ozette, lay the furthest to the west in the lower 48. Am I mistaken when I look at the map?

Art is an adventure.
haydenslides

haydenslides
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:20 am 
Happy Hollow Shelter 7/31/21

RodF
haydenslides

haydenslides
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:22 am 
Trapper's Shelter, N Fork Quinault Trail, 8/1/21

RodF
haydenslides

haydenslides
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:23 am 
Low Divide RS, 7/31/21

Klondike Ken

Klondike Ken
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 9:17 pm 
Thank you for this neat thread about Olympic trail shelters and structures. Its readers have dug up an amazing amount of history. I went deep into some closets for photographs the other night and was afraid I had tossed what I was looking for...until opening the next to last envelope. And most of the hoped-for pictures were together. I did not see any photos of Ten Mile Shelter on the Duckabush in the prior posts. We loved going to Ten Mile Camp back in the 1970s. The forest is so perfect there, and we could walk on giant downed trees all over the flat without ever touching the ground. The Duckabush is surely the clearest and best tasting water on the peninsula. We often slept in the shelter during winter months of low snow years. Being up on the back loft was quite mice free. The loft was also great for middle of the long night card games until we could go back to sleep. Sorry about the first photo. Bad photographer with bad equipment.
Ten Mile Shelter Duckabush River  January 1976
Ten Mile Shelter Duckabush River January 1976
Ten Mile Shelter Duckabush River  March 1978
Ten Mile Shelter Duckabush River March 1978
There is already another picture or two of the upper Duckabush Shelter and its crushing log in the thread. I took this one in late-July 1989, and am pretty sure the tree came down the previous winter judging by the green boughs on the roof. I passed the Upper Duck shelter and halfway up the hill the sky turned inky black and cut loose. Arriving at Home Sweet Home in near monsoon and thunderbolts, I spied the shelter and my jaw dropped, thinking it had been torn down. The roof was in rough shape and water was shooting inside, but was a nice spot to sit out the 5 hour storm.
Upper Duckabush Shelter  late July 1989
Upper Duckabush Shelter late July 1989
Home Sweet Home Shelter  late July 1989
Home Sweet Home Shelter late July 1989
I'll post more soon from other valleys. Klondike Ken

RodF, meck, graywolf, reststep, Ski