Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpacking Stove Fuel Shortage of 2020
Previous :: Next Topic  
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
hikerbiker wrote:
Plenty of white gas for us old timers. 

Even better, use a soda can stove.  It burns denatured alcohol.  You can find that anywhere.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
hikerbiker wrote:
Plenty of white gas for us old timers. 

Even better, use a soda can stove.  It burns denatured alcohol.  You can find that anywhere.

Yeah, except alcohol stoves aren't allowed during times of high fire hazard

USFS wrote:
Non-approved Fires

Alcohol ultralight stoves (these tend to be homemade from aluminum or tin cans and burn rubbing alcohol)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/home?cid=fsbdev3_053600#approved%20and%20non%20approved

I do find that alcohol stoves are pleasant to use for solo bike touring.   Silent operation,  fuel is easy to find in small towns.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat

Turtle Hiker
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 4:49 am 
I found this recent WDFW release a bit puzzling about propane stoves (Posted on the Stewardship forum). They didn't mention iso tho

Quote:
Keep a cold camp. Campfires and charcoal briquets are currently prohibited across Eastern WA state lands. Also avoid using personal camp stoves and lanterns fueled by propane.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 am 
Kat wrote:
I found this recent WDFW release a bit puzzling about propane stoves (Posted on the Stewardship forum). They didn't mention iso tho

Quote:
Keep a cold camp. Campfires and charcoal briquets are currently prohibited across Eastern WA state lands. Also avoid using personal camp stoves and lanterns fueled by propane.

I think the propane aspect is a bit too specific,  reading the entire section it appears to me that they are saying don't burn anything, regardless of fuel type.

WDFW wrote:
Prevent wildfires and stay safe by following these recommendations
Keep a cold camp. Campfires and charcoal briquets are currently prohibited across eastern Washington state lands, but also avoid using personal camp stoves, propane fire rings, and lanterns fueled by propane. Eat no-cook foods or cook food at home and bring it with you.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/wdfw-lands/wildfire
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat

Turtle Hiker
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 am 
That makes more sense.  But cold coffee... well, I guess it's still caffeine!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 10:42 am 
Kat wrote:
That makes more sense.  But cold coffee... well, I guess it's still caffeine!

Well IDK -- my son seems to be happy to pay extra money for "cold brew" coffee.   I'm not.

However for "alpine start" mornings from home, I have been know to load up my french press in the evening with cold water and place it in the fridge next to batch of "overnight oats"  for getting going in the morning with a minimum of steps, but without resorting to a "clif bar" breakfast.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpacking Stove Fuel Shortage of 2020
  Happy Birthday Gil, mtnresqr, KTizzle89!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: