Forum Index > Trail Talk > Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz says.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:46 am 
zimmertr wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
read most of a book about the Peninsula area in the 1860s
What book is this?
I think it is Winter Brothers. I got bored with it and didn't finish.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:25 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I am surprised that you suggest this after what you wrote about the Cushman Lake closure.
Warning, thread drift but I will respond to treeswarper: I understand and agree that the government has the right to close access to public lands for public safety. But when the government does that, they should always chose the least restrictive means possible (it's not only the law, but if they don't, they will lose the public's trust). And there is nothing wrong when someone audits the government's decisions (the whole trust, but verify thing). And for my fire closure suggestion, I could see that happening for maybe a day or so every decade. The Lake Cushman closure currently ongoing is 30+ days. My money is on the Lake Cushman closure being a normal yearly thing and the same mentality will spread to other high use forest locations. There is also a dramatic difference between fire danger/property destruction, and too many people trying to hike and swim at a lake in the same location. To me, the Lake Cushman problem has been ongoing for years, was entirely foreseeable, and the government's incompetence may be at least partly to blame (I will post evidence of this if/when I obtain it; still waiting for responses to my FOIA and public records request). If the government did chose to take the rare action of pre-emptively closing forests for extreme fire danger, I would have no problem if someone was challenging the government's decision, and attempting to back their challenge up with evidence (i.e. maybe it actually wasn't an extreme fire danger). It used to be that journalist would do investigations to try to call out the government when they make mistakes. But today, journalism is dead. Nothing but click bait regurgitated articles trying to get people fired up. There is more informative information on NWhikers than there is in the Seattle Times. That is not right and makes me sad. I would encourage others to make public records request, make FOIA requests, and try to hold the government accountable because if you don't do it, no one will. And if anyone feels the government is improperly stone walling them on their FOIA or public records request, let me know, because that is one of my areas of legal expertise.

pula58

pula58
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 am 
xrp wrote:
That's how China works, not the United States of America. You should move to China.
Bummer. Not the kind of sentiment that makes people feel welcome to join and participate in this site. I am not one of the admins, just a participant. But please, I urge us all to keep all of our posts within the terms defined by the admins of this forum, which I will quote: "You agree to consider whether your contribution adds value to this site each and every time you post. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community? If not don't post. Nothing wrong with healthy debate but keep it civil, refrain from personal attacks, and remember this site is what you choose to make it. NWHikers should be a respite from politics and divisive topics in favor of those that foster and build community. If it's divisive or highly contentious and not outdoor related it's pseudo-politics and off limits at NWHikers. You agree to check such discussions at the door."

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 11:58 am 
treeswarper wrote:
zimmertr wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
What book is this?
I think you might mean Wintergreen, by Robert Pyle. ? But Wintergreen takes place I think in the 30's so maybe not. Really good book. But it can get dense; you have to plug along.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Mikey

Mikey
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 12:18 pm 
Years ago my U of W engineering grad students and I had a research project at the PG&E oil fired power plant in Pittsburg Calif. The engineering students measured the pollutant particle size distribution,and smoke light transmittance with a portable instack light transmissometer in the combustion chamber exhaust duct. Also the sulfuric acid and gaseous sulfur dioxide concentation were measured. At that time there were residents asking that the PG&E electrical power lines be put underground for reasons of safety, appearance, and concerned for excessive electric fields (ie excessive EMF). I was told that PG&E refused to move their overhead electric lines to underground because of the cost. The huge cost of the recent (past year) fire damages caused by downed PG&E electric wires has apparently forced PG&E to file for bankruptcy. Probably the high wind areas in Washington State which have caused downed electric wires to cause fires should have these overhead wires underground. These Washington State high wind areas are well known. With regards to lightning caused fires, an USFS person told me that in the Wenatchee National Forest, there were specific locations which get hit by lightning every year. A technician at the U of W set up an electric field measuring apparatus on the top of the More Hall Civil Engineering building and one could observe the electric field magnitude and change as clouds moved by. During flights from the US East Coast to Seattle at night, I have seen lightning storms which cover wide areas (mostly in the midwest and Rocky mtn areas), sometimes cloud to cloud lightning.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 2:53 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
think you might mean Wintergreen, by Robert Pyle. ?
Looks like both exist! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/223411.Winter_Brothers

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:26 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
zimmertr wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
What book is this?
I think you might mean Wintergreen, by Robert Pyle. ? But Wintergreen takes place I think in the 30's so maybe not. Really good book. But it can get dense; you have to plug along.
I haven't deleted it yet. It is Winter Brothers by Ivan Doig. He's basically trying to live in the same spots the 1860s guy did--Neah Bay and Port Townsend, and reading the old guy's diary, which is pretty basic. I usually like reading Doig, but this book is tiresome.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities