Forum Index > Trail Talk > Woman completes Colorado Trail unsupported/Unresupplied
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 pm 
Randito wrote:
The method used by the crazy people that undertake such efforts is to consume small amounts of easily digested carbohydrates steadily. They don't consume enough to provide all the calories being burned, but they do consume enough to enhance the body's mechanism for converting fat into energy. Without small amounts of consumed carbohydrates, the body is much less efficient at converting body fat into fuel.
I guess the thought process is more nuanced by whether or not the person is crazy, or how long (distance and time) the hike is, how fit the person is, season, etc. Seems pretty obvious that on day 1 a regular (non crazy) person would be able to travel farther with 1lb of food rather than 2lbs of food, but can that be sustained? Rumi's point also comes to mind. Does one want to lose or maintain weight? Then, there's the question of whether or not the person is a foodie, and will they go insane eating bird seed in regular, small non-satisfying intervals and portions. I wonder if someone could save even more weight by not bringing TP, as afforded by not pooping, because they are barely eating anything. Didn't someone try that one time?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm 
Randito wrote:
This woman's experience on the Colorado trail is a remarkable first time effort, but it's not anything like the unsupported female FKT for the Colorado trail
FKT wrote:
Self-supported Mikaela Osler 10d 12h 36m 2020-08-09
This is incorrect. Self-supported is not the same as unsupported. See https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt-guidelines. There was no unsupported female FKT for the CT prior to Sophia, as mentioned in the original link.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm 
People participating in stuff like Paris-Brest-Paris or trail-running long routes with the goal of setting a FKT have a different set of motivations than more typical folks setting out to have an enjoyable hiking experience. I recall a line from my ancient copy of Freedom Of The Hills on the subject of how much food to bring: "When not enough food is brought, by the 4th day, a beautiful sunset is no longer the glorious end to a day in the mountains, but a fried egg dripping in butter. In my own personal experience "exactly the right amount of food, but no extra" significantly altered the course of my life. The woman who became my wife went on such a trip and "food insecurity" in the group resulted in poor group dynamics and cutting short the second phase of the trip -- which resulted in our meeting at a kayak race the following week. We borrowed a two person canoe and raced and found we clicked in the boat in an amazing way, so much so that we took 1st place. It's is likely we would have met in the next month anyway, but we wouldn't have borrowed the two person canoe and had lightning strike.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:01 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Randito wrote:
This woman's experience on the Colorado trail is a remarkable first time effort, but it's not anything like the unsupported female FKT for the Colorado trail
FKT wrote:
Self-supported Mikaela Osler 10d 12h 36m 2020-08-09
This is incorrect. Self-supported is not the same as unsupported. See https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt-guidelines. There was no unsupported female FKT for the CT prior to Sophia, as mentioned in the original link.
Who you going to believe a TV station's version of events or the official repository for fastest known times? Anyway it remains to be seen whether the FKT folks accept her travel as Unsupported anyway. The text in the article indicates that she rode on a horse for a bit and rode on ATVs for a bit. The ATV ride wasn't very clear that she resumed her hiking after the ATV ride in the exact same location. Also if any of the folks she interacted with during her hike shared any food or even water with her that would disqualify her trip from the "unsupported" category. (Picky rules I agree)

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 pm 
Pretty amazing what we humans can do.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:24 pm 
Randito wrote:
Who you going to believe a TV station's version of events or the official repository for fastest known times?
The official repository indicates that there is no female unsupported FKT for the CT. If Sophia's hike is disqualified, then there still isn't. Point is, her unsupported time is not comparable to a self-supported FKT. "Self-supported means you may have as much support as you can manage or find along the way, but not from any pre-arranged people helping you. This can range from caching supplies in advance, purchasing supplies along the way, to finding or begging for food or water. Most long thru-hiking routes are done Self-Supported." "Unsupported means you have no external support of any kind. This means you carry everything you need from start to finish except water from natural sources" (https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt-guidelines)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:42 pm 
Right, If one examines the records of FKTs longer than 100 miles there are very few "unsupported" FKTs In the case of the Wonderland's 93 miles the unsupported trips are actually slightly faster than the self-supported trips. 500 miles unsupported vs self-supported is clearly a bigger deal than 100 miles, but Sophia time is double the self supported female FKT. Her accomplishment is remarkable because this was her 1st long distance hike and she had the grit to stick with it. Whether she is awarded an "unsupported" FKT or not seems like a minor point.

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm 
i'd probably just take Soylent.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 7:48 pm 
My own standard is 1.5 lb/day for food. Nothing fancy but if the food bag for a 6 day trip weighs 9lb or thereabouts it is good to go. You know you are hungry when you go back through your granola bar wrappers to eat the crumbs in them. Not pooping for 3 days because you are exerting much more energy than you are taking in? My partner calls that a "spa trip". As in went somewhere to have a lose weight regimen.

Off trail rambler