Forum Index > Trail Talk > The smoke is back
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 am 
Unfortunately, Cliff Mass says more smoke moving in and Wednesday may be worse than today: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/09/why-smoke-situation-isnt-improving-and.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am 
Rained here last night and still some now here at Priest Lake, heading to American Falls today, rather hike in the rain tan the smoke...maybe it will be both.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:32 am 
Windy shows it clearing this afternoon, getting bad again tomorrow, and then getting cleaner over the rest of the week. Edit: that's already changed. No significant relief for Seattle until around 9 pm Thursday. The Hood Canal should see cleaner air sooner.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 10:26 am 
treeswarper, you might want to check this animated model of the smoke moving across the northern part of the country all the way to the Atlantic. https://twitter.com/NWSWakefieldVA/status/1305842340783968259 It's a gif from the NWS. Maybe someone can figure out a way to post the gif itself. ~z

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 11:06 am 
We received 9/10ths of an inch of rain last night and here in the foothills currently it is partly sunny and breezy, if you are looking to get some fresh air. smile.gif

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 11:51 am 
And where are you, Nancyann?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:28 pm 
We are in the foothills above Sultan at 1,000 feet elevation. I can see a little patch of blue sky to the north, slightly hazy, but nothing like yesterday. It is breezy with some rain clouds moving in, but only expecting scattered showers today. It looks smoky down in the Sky Valley still, maybe there isn’t much of a breeze there.

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:40 pm 
There’s does seem to be a patch of less smoke north of you closer to the north cascades. Could be no sensors there. I’d imagine an area of high elevation being clear. Getting there through the smoke would be the difficulty.

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Windy shows it clearing this afternoon, getting bad again tomorrow, and then getting cleaner over the rest of the week. Edit: that's already changed. No significant relief for Seattle until around 9 pm Thursday. The Hood Canal should see cleaner air sooner.
Windy is what I look at also. It gave the indication that this week would be smoky. You just need to look at Inciweb and satellite images to see where the smoke is and then just follow the winds. What you don't know is the elevation of thick smoke, but smoke aloft often moves between 6-7000', but it can also move up valleys and climb with the terrain. On the 12th which was the last day I was out the low smoke had densified quite a bit and a "high overcast" of smoke at more than 10,000' was beginning to descend, closing any window of decent air for hiking. Currently it is thinner near Puget Sound and better aloft but the winds went southerly aloft around 11AM and will bring in smoke from California and Oregon albeit likely not as dense as the last couple of days. On Thursday the wind goes offshore at the lower levels and smoke remaining in Eastern Washington will come back over and through the Cascades. By sometime on the 18th or 19th W to NW flow aloft and at the surface will bring in much cleaner air.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
We received 9/10ths of an inch of rain last night and here in the foothills currently it is partly sunny and breezy, if you are looking to get some fresh air. smile.gif
Can I bring my cat? smile.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:13 pm 
I would invite everyone up for a fresh air party but now it’s raining. lol.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:06 pm 
Still Air Quality Index says it's Hazardous here on the Olympic Peninsula. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 5:24 pm 
Went up into the Tiffanies - west side - today. Smoke started to thin out about 4000’, and at Rogers Lake and Freezeout Pass it was just a slight haze. Very nice up high....!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 pm 
It's been about half a month now. frown.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:51 am 
Great weather in da wind river range..except for the 100 yr. Storm last tuesday..after 15 hrs we were thinking of grabbing the gear..fI reword & heading to a cave because the tents were going to be shredded... Snow with 80mph plus winds...single digit temps..tons of trees down to photo.point.. Clear forecast this week... ANOTHER CLASSIC GNOMIEEE TRIP!! Oh & we had titcomb basin all to ourselives for the day ..thanks to the storm...way more impressive then any pics...