Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gondola cable cut, 30+ cars destroyed. Again.
Previous :: Next Topic  
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman

Itís a Slugfest!
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 1:17 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-to-sky-gondola-vandalism-2020-1.5723042

--------------
ďThe jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mindĒ  Slugman, January 24th 2020
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
ejain

ejain

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 11:25 pm 
Hope they catch the perpetrator!

--------------
My Trips
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman

Itís a Slugfest!
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 4:20 am 

--------------
ďThe jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mindĒ  Slugman, January 24th 2020
tgrump

tgrump

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:38 am 
Hayduke lives
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr

TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:54 am 
Why would someone do something like this? NIMBY motivated? Personal feud with the business owner(s)? Pure anarchy?

Just seems so needlessly destructive..
altasnob

altasnob

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 10:03 am 
Read the Monkey Wrench Gang.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am 
There was a fair amount of controversy when it was built. Not that it makes it OK. Those cables are not easy to cut.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:19 pm 
I could see how people would be upset if someone built a monstrocity like that on their mountains.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr

TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:25 pm 
I have to admit, I haven't been there before. My girlfriend and I considered it when we were in Vancouver last but weren't interested in paying the ticket price.

I think it provides a lot of value to a community though; especially near a metropolis. It allows the handicapped, elderly, children, etc a tremendous experience they otherwise wouldn't have available to them. And it's not like BC lacks for pristine and remote mountains.
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff

Ramen Elitist
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:04 pm 
tgrump wrote:
Hayduke lives

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if their insurance provider will drop them after this second incident.

I spend a lot of time up there and the vocal majority of people I talked to were against building it. The changes to Squamish in the last decade have been dramatic. Change is bound to piss some people off. I much prefer it back then. I bet it was even better before I started visiting.

There are plenty of other gondolas and ski lifts for people to visit.
fourteen410

fourteen410

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 6:08 pm 
I've always enjoyed Squamish. The gondola was tastefully done IMO. We rode it shortly before the first incident and really enjoyed it.

Sounds like they had more surveillance this time around. Hopefully they catch the vindictive people behind it.
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 4:35 am 
I rode the gondola ride on Crystal Mountain last month out of curiosity. Great views of Mount Rainier along with loud music from the beer tent, a gift shop with overpriced chips and energy drinks as well as hoards of people. Not my thing.

There was supposed to be a gondola type thing going in at the Grand Canyon.
altasnob

altasnob

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:19 am 
Ya, but at least the gondola at Crystal is through an existing ski area with existing cut runs and a special use permit issued by the Forest Service. The Crystal gondola goes the same spot as a bunch of chairlifts (so it is just increasing capacity and not increasing accessible terrain). The gondola at Squamish passes through a provincial park. As I understand, they made strains to remove as few trees as possible and did not have to cut a traditional tree cut for the gondola line there (or at least not all the way up, but just in spots). But it would essentially be like if we put in a gondola in Rainier, Oly, or the N Cascades National Park (or one of Washington's state parks). You can see why some people would be pissed up there about it. Note, I am not saying it is right to cut the cable though.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk

Off Leash Man
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:48 am 
Love it, or hate it, vandalism won't make it go away and serves to only make them use more resources to replace the cable.

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
altasnob

altasnob

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:51 am 
Schenk wrote:
vandalism won't make it go away

I agree with you but whoever has been cutting this cable certainly disagrees and may ultimately prove us both wrong.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gondola cable cut, 30+ cars destroyed. Again.
  Happy Birthday HundsSolo, Cosmic Sun Beam!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: