Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bears, sometimes they're just curious.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 6:29 pm 
Watch this bear and the guy sleeping by his pool.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 7:03 pm 
Saw this last night - fun to watch!

The only easy day was yesterday...
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:13 pm 
He's lucky he wasn't in a tent cause he for sure would have been dragged out!!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 pm 
"take a look at this frightening moment"

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 pm 
If I'm ever killed by a bear, I guarantee my last words will have been "who's a cute bear?"

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm 
What do bears have against people taking naps outdoors? It's an epidemic lately. These bears must be stopped!

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:15 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
If I'm ever killed by a bear, I guarantee my last words will have been "who's a cute bear?"
Lol! Same here. Black bears kindof strike me as big puppy dogs.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 am 
I've had dozens of black bear encounters in Washington's Wilderness. And while they required awareness and respectful "diplomacy", all were peaceable and quite treasured (documented in many trip reports). Only one near North Cascades NP boundary showed too much interest in my trailside lunch. Ultimately it stopped drooling and moved along. As a backpacker, I am just a grateful visitor in the home of our Cascadian critters. Step lightly and clean up after yourself agree.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 am 
D. Inscho wrote:
I've had dozens of black bear encounters in Washington's Wilderness. And while they required awareness and respectful "diplomacy", all were peaceable and quite treasured (documented in many trip reports). Only one near North Cascades NP boundary showed too much interest in my trailside lunch. Ultimately it stopped drooling and moved along. As a backpacker, I am just a grateful visitor in the home of our Cascadian critters. Step lightly and clean up after yourself agree.gif
up.gif My experiences have been the same and I totally agree with you.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Black bears kindof strike me as big puppy dogs.
More than once, my initial thought when seeing a bear was "what is that big dog doing by itself way out here?" Took my brain a second or two to catch up to what my eyes were seeing.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am 
I had one hang out with me for several hours in Dose Meadows. I was alone and at one of the campsites and the bear was about 50 feet away in the meadow. It sat there looking right at me for a while then it sat down on the ground and took a nap, so I did the same. When I woke up, the bear was still there, I made my meal, the bear just watched me the whole time. I went about doing what I do and eventually the bear was gone out doing what it usually does. It never came any closer, didn't seem the slightest bit interested in my meal, it didn't come back after dark.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:24 am 
Like a lot of posters here, ive met a decent number of black bears and none ever acted aggressively, even the slightest. Not even the mothers with cubs, nor the ones that were close. One did steal some food and they raid my parents trash cans... but my dog steals my food too smile.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 am 
I've seen more bears while riding (bike) on forgotten gravel roads than hiking. Saw a large one from a boat on Ross Lake. A yearling ambled across a road in front of me, it ran off as soon as it saw me. I have a cat named Bear, the only negative experiences I've ever had with a bear involve the litter box.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am 
A great encounter with a friendly bear. FrankM3 and myself shared time with an Enchanted Valley bear, which was not quite what we expected. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9439 You just never know! doh.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:11 pm 
Bushwacker wrote:
A great encounter with a friendly bear.
That picture of the napping bear brought me right back to my episode. I do have a knack of attracting bears. Only once, way back in 1989, did I have to fight off a bear trying to get my groceries. It was in the Sierras, 1000 Island Lake area, well used camp spot. Bear got the pinata but tore it open so all the grub fell to the ground and I was able to chase the bear away before it could grab anything. Used my trusty SEVA stove with it's jet engine to chase the bear away. It came back later and spent some time doing high jumps, but failed to get the gold ring. My wife let loose a scream so high pitched that all dogs w/in a few miles responded. That was day one of a 10 day adventure...I didn't sleep so well for the rest of the trip. But we didn't see another bear as we camped off trail the rest of the trip. Ranger there told us that the bears know "red bag in tree = food". He said it was all visual. I saw that play out another time down there as a bear walked right past my bear canister without even a sideways look, no vapor barrier used, just food in the can. That was in the early 90's, before there were a lot of bear canisters in use. Before the bears figured out that the canisters were full of food and 1/2 the people weren't locking them properly.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.