Forum Index > Gear Talk > MEC Bought Out
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 pm 
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mec-acquired-private-investment-firm-1.5723934 I take this as unfortunate news.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Frango

Frango
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 pm 
Very unfortunate. They got greedy over the past few years - expanded too fast, too far and got away from selling outdoor gear to outdoor people and more into outdoor fashion. (Hey REI - are you listening?!) I knew the writing was on the wall the day they took the mountains out of their logo. 🙁 So, another Canadian icon gone; while the doors are still open’ish, it’s no longer a coop - just another store.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:23 pm 
I’d gotten so I spent more money at MEC than REI. I especially thought their in house branded items were a buy. Definitely has been a stop on Victoria visits.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 pm 
Back in the day you used to be able to get Dead Bird gear there for a fraction of US price and no GST or WA Sales tax with free shipping. Later got their house brand stuff that was cheaper and better than REI’s. I worked for a Canadian tech company which was bought out by a US vulture capital company. It was never the same most operations moved to Plano, stopped developing products, moved heavily into licensing. I retired and on my exit interview learned all the executives were planing on leaving also. Made big $$$ out of the deal on options etc. company is just a drained shell now. Employes only a skeleton crew in Canada. Sad

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
call-151

call-151
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 am 
I haven't visited a store since the pandemic started. Every time I drive by the local store there's a line-up to get in. When I heard the news the other day I decided to cash in a couple of gift cards I had. I bought a bike lock and a silky saw. You never know how this will all turn out. I hope they survive in some form though, they have to get back to their core business. Less fashion and more practical gear. I notice on their web site that 5 of the 22 retail stores are "Closed until further notice".

call-151

call-151
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 3:37 pm 
A good twitter thread on what happened: https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1306262661823299585