Forum Index > Gear Talk > Convertible Pants for tall folk?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 6:41 am 
I'm looking for recommendations for convertible pants with the zip off legs. They all seem to be short and in this era where you can't try anything on I'm hoping to not have to hassle with returns. I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I've got a pair of Marmot Scree softshell pants that are perfect, but their convertible pants (Transcend) seem to be a tad short, even in the long size. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 7:25 am 
Kuhl Renegade Convertible Pants -- Best-fitting tall-guy zip-offs I've ever found. I'm at the short end of 6'5" and bought a 36" inseam. ETA: Guess I should state that these are not a designated "tall" size, but they fit me very well. If you need more rise, who knows. I personally find most (all, really) "tall" pants have too much added rise for too little added inseam.

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 8:26 am 
Prana zion should work. I'm 6'6" and recently discovered the joy of convertible pants. They come in 34 inseam.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 8:28 am 
FWIW: IME Convertible pants are a crock. They weigh more than a pair of long hiking pants and a pair of running shorts. The wide cut of convertible pants that allows the zip off portion to be removed without removing shoes resulting in baggy and clunky cut pants.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am 
FWIW: IME Convertible pants are the bomb. They're functional and no self-respecting hiker would hike in running shorts. The wide cut of convertible pants that allows the zip off portion to be removed without removing shoes results in better ventilation and keeps the hiker from looking like a dancer. tongue.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 12:16 pm 
awilsondc, I have a pair of REI's house brand convertible pants - "34M" - and the inseam is plenty long. I usually wear a 36-inch inseam.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 8:34 pm 
Thanks for the recommendations texasbb and Ski, I'll check those out for sure! Convertible pants rock. The speed and ease in which you can change from pants to shorts without taking off your shoes is awesome. As pants, you can also partially unzip at the leg for extra ventilation. They're great if you're cold in the morning or in the evening at camp, and they're great if you need to do a section of bushwacking but would rather be in shorts the rest of the day. They're definitely my preferred solution, but to each their own.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 pm 
The Columbia Silver Ridge is available in up to a 36 inch inseam. LL Bean has two different weights up to 36 inseam as well. I’ve used these convertibles for a number of years; but I have to agree the shorts part is less than ideal. The shorts are awkwardly knee length and too heavy of a fabric. During the warm summer I normally hike in basketball shorts, and carry a pair of nylon wind pants that I can pull over. I really only use the convertible pants when I really don’t anticipated needing shorts.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 6:13 am 
I gave up on pants years ago. Being 6' 9" it's impossible. Running shorts or basketball shorts rule! Even better with gaiters 😅

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
neek

neek
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:50 am 
Matt Lemke wrote:
I gave up on pants years ago.
Me too. Oh, you're talking about hiking. paranoid.gif My problem with lightweight convertible pants is that they get shredded right away. And shorts let your legs get scratched, sunburned, bitten, stung by nettles, etc. Can't win. Right now have some more durable roll-up pants that work OK. Not nearly as ventilating as shorts, but a little leg exposure goes a long way for cooling.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 8:17 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Convertible pants rock. The speed and ease in which you can change from pants to shorts without taking off your shoes is awesome.
I have shorts I can get on and off over my shoes, and ones I can't. I have a couple pairs of pants with zippers at the ankles, they don't go very far but they let me get them on and off over my shoes, one is a soft shell for skiing. I'm not trying to change your mind on this, just saying there's a wonderful wide world of gear out there. smile.gif If you go commando, using convertible pants instead of showing the world what you were born with can protect you from some nasty mosquito and fly bites in some really sensitive places.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 3:34 pm 
Neek, you're hilarious! lol.gif I'm still in the market for a new pair of convertible pants. I've been using a pair that's slightly high water for the last four years and they're about done. I figure just one more trip in them before it's full on pants weather for which I really like my Marmot Scree pants. I'm interested in those Kuhl Renegade's but they're unavailable in my size everywhere (34x36) and I think they're discontinuing them. I'll keep an eye out for the new model they replace the Renegade's with. I just can't get into the hiking in shorts and bringing a pair of pants idea. In Matt's case, I understand the necessity. Like Neek said pants are critical for hiking in brush so you don't get your legs scratched or run into nettles etc (which I do a lot of) and the ability to quickly change into shorts without taking off my shoes is highly desired. That and the ventilation of the convertible pants by 1/4 - 1/3 unzipping the legs really helps with breathability when you really need to hike in pants but it's hot out (bushwhacking). I appreciate the replies and conversation thus far everyone, thanks!