Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Please close the refridgerator NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GE

GE
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 4:38 pm 
Sorry but this question has been bugging me for a long time, especially during commercials. I hope it is appropriate for the Bar and Grill. I want to get an 8 ounce glass of orange juice from a pitcher in the refigerator. Is it better open the door and grab the pitcher, pour the juce, but the pitcher back in, and then close the door, or do you let less cold air out by closing the door while you pour the juice. It seems like opening the door twice lets more cold air out. Are there any physicists on this board? Thanks in advance. Gen. Electric confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 5:12 pm 
Asuming there isn't a significant amount of time in-between the door openings, I'd say opening the door twice is more efficient.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 6:05 pm 
Is this frozen concentrated orange juice or freshly squeezed?

Art is an adventure.
Ann Landers

Ann Landers
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 6:30 pm 
This reminds me of the proverbial question: do you get more wet running through the rain, or walking? I suggest we do a computational fluid dynamics analysis of the airflow between the fridge and ambient airspace. Then do a thermodynamic finite difference calculation of the energy gain into the fridge. This is also affected by a finite element analysis of the heat transfer rate of the convection currents into the control volume of the fridge, and the normal heat gains into the fridge via convection, conduction, radiation, and evaporation whilst the fridge is closed. Should we assume a new refrigerator, or 10 year old one? The new ones are better insulated and have more efficient heat pumps. We need to consider the effects of ambient temperature, relative humidity, the size and aspect ratio of the door, condition of the seals, and whether the origin of the juice is frozen concentrate or fresh squeezed. Based on the above assumptions, I'd say we need more info to answer your question. Why not just drink water from the tap? Seems a lot simpler, albeit less tasty.

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 6:50 pm 
I didn't read the post above mine, but my thoughts are that whenever you open the door, there is a suction of air into the fridge. Sooooo, I would think you are loosing less cold air by leaving it open, provided you're not leaving it open too long.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 6:58 pm 
Dude. Simple answer. You already LOST the cold air when you opened the refrigerator the first time. Why would you want to lose it AGAIN?

Art is an adventure.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 7:13 pm 
I think you're right catwoman. I would think that opening the door would suck the cold air out and closing it would force the warmer room temp air back in which would cause a displacement of a certain amout of cold air that is being forcedout of the fridge in one manner or another. Thus opening twice would create the greater loss. Now if the fridge was located on the bottom portion then the loss would be less as the air displacement would be of lower temp air from floor level rather than higher temp air from a higher level. Fridges come located either top or bottom. The best bet to minimize the cold air loss is to have the fridge on it's back. I could be wrong tho. As long as the beer is cold it really doesn't matter to me. NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 7:18 pm 
If you lost all the cold air the first time, you're probably not going to lose any more by opening the door again. By leaving the door open, you're ensuring you lose all the cold air. Assuming condensation indicates heat loss... Go to the frozen food section of the your local grocery store and open one of the transparent freezer doors, close it, open it again, then close it. Compare this to opening the door only once but leaving it open for a longer period. The second case generally exhibits much more condensation. Of course, if it really concerns you, just alternate methods. Then you're wrong only 50% of the time. biggrin.gif

Sir Mise

Sir Mise
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 7:36 pm 
One also has to remember that a significant amount of heat is generated just by people yelling Close the Refridgerator Door. This warms up the room by a few degrees thus making the fridge have to work alot harder to keep the temp inside cool.

PostThu Nov 14, 2002 8:21 pm 
Hmm, I just squat behind the open fridge door and guzzle from the container. Its hell when she catches me though... rolleyes.gif

Phil M. Up

Phil M. Up
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 10:39 pm 
Dude, fill the fridge with stuff. Then there ain't enough air to make much difference (except the condensation of the moist air from the room on stuff in refrigerator). So do I take my sunglasses out of my pocket twice before putting them on in the winter time? Or should I put the sunglasses on the top of my head, then put them on my face? p.s. I didn't read the post 6 above this one.

X Treme

X Treme
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 11:23 pm 
I wonder if it depends on the temperature outside? For example, if your fridge were plugged into an rv outlet in Death Valley and it was 135 degrees, wouldn't you tend to close the door while you were pouring the orange juice? I know I sure would. But all that asides, why not just eat an orange and forget about the whole juice thing? Nothing wrong with eating things the way nature made them. But if you do drink orange juice, I believe it is hard to beat the fresh squeezed variety. Drinking out of the carton while in the grocery store is bad form. down.gif down.gif down.gif

shah d. speks

shah d. speks
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 11:41 pm 
If you have alot of sunglasses, you can put some in your pockets, some on your head, and one on your face too. cool.gif When you wear them, orange juice looks more like red juice, though.

C Dog

C Dog
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 11:54 pm 
Ann Landers wrote:
This reminds me of the proverbial question: do you get more wet running through the rain, or walking?
The Seattle Times actually had an article on this last year... personally, I just wear a jacket and don't worry about it. tongue.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostFri Nov 15, 2002 9:01 am 
Conserve energy! Don't make things worse. Do not refrigerate the vodka that goes in the OJ. This would only make the problem twice as bad. X-treme
Quote:
For example, if your fridge were plugged into an rv outlet in Death Valley and it was 135 degrees
There wouldn't be room for the OJ.......I'd be in the fridge! agree.gif BW tongue.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu