Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Jury Duty Rant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AR

AR
PostSat Feb 21, 2009 7:14 pm 
The last time I complained about the government here I got an ass load of hostility. I guess that goes for your grip also. It would be nice if they paid their citizens at least as well as there porky large tickets for one infraction or another. To many fat cats in the biz I guess.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 pm 
An excellent movie on the subject is Twelve Angry Men with Henry Fonda. Touches on several social issues such as race and class. It's as relevant now as it was when it was filmed in 1957. Highly recommended. up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 12:34 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
An excellent movie on the subject is Twelve Angry Men with Henry Fonda. Touches on several social issues such as race and class. It's as relevant now as it was when it was filmed in 1957. Highly recommended. up.gif
+1 up.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 4:19 pm 
HJT wrote:
There's a remake of Twelve Angry Men coming out in the next couple of months, ironically called "12".
The original is so excellent, and IMO the 1957-black-and-white-look of it adds to its effectiveness, so I doubt they'll be able to improve the story.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 am 
No word on the 11 prequels?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm 
HJT wrote:
There's a remake of Twelve Angry Men coming out in the next couple of months, ironically called "12".
SAC-RA-LEGDE! Why remake something you cant possibly best? BAD IDEA! The makers of that film didnt have rampant policial correctness within its society to deal with. I cant see them having a shot in hell of bettering that. If it was made with Russians, then maybe.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 26, 2009 12:18 pm 
Yeah, it king of seems like remaking Casablanca with Hugh Grant as Rick and Paris Hilton as Ilsa shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostWed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 pm 
The New York Times gave a very favorable review of 12 today. PBJ, this film was made in Russia and directed by Nikita Mikhalkov; you needn't fear the dreaded taint of "political correctness."

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Mar 05, 2009 12:49 am 
Yes, 12 looks like a good movie. Something I'd probably see. But, I think it sounds like a different movie that bears little resemblance to 12 Angry Men. The original takes place almost entirely in one room with race, class, and other social issues the primary subjects of the plot. The new movie has a different setting, uses flashbacks to external scenes, and includes Russian history as a plot device. I might see the new movie, but I'm glad it's not an attempt to remake the original.

Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostFri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 am 
At the Kent Regional Justice Center you can take your laptop, they have internet and tables with plugs for your laptops.

Bergschlawiner
Kathleen

Kathleen
PostFri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 am 
I've gotten sent a summons every single year since I turned 18. I am 28 now. I've only actually served once when I was an unemployed college student off for summer break and it was the most boring two weeks of my life. A few years back my then 16 year old brother got a summons in Pierce County. I guess they really messed up there.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 6:02 pm 
Jury duty during Covid??? I know it's a privilege but during Covid it's a liability! I'm at a higher risk, I have asthma and diabetes. I really don't want ride a bus or sit inside with others! They suggest you ride the bus, during Covid no thanks. $25 barely covers parking downtown Seattle these days! Got back to work a few weeks ago, construction isn't like other jobs where you go back to where you left off. What if you have an open unemployment claim? Have a bad feeling about this.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 6:16 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Jury duty during Covid???...Have a bad feeling about this.
I was successful once in calling the Judge's office and explaining that I had some reason that I could not attend without causing SIGNIFICANT hardship on the date that they requested my presence, I think it was that we were going to be "out west" for a month or so during that time. No worries, didn't hear from them again for a few years (which now has been a couple months ago). And, I've not heard anything since I replied to the latest notice. so maybe there is nothing going on, or...who knows? I'm guessing that if you call the courthouse and explain your health concerns, there *may* be an out for you that way. If not, then you *may* not get called anyway. And I agree, $25 is a joke.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm 
Interesting, my son is a public defender in NYC and the courts his cases are in have been 100% remote since March. He specializes in family court issues, which are all decided by a judge and no jury is involved.

camut

camut
PostSat Sep 19, 2020 7:19 pm 
I have been summoned for jury duty three times and gotten excused each time. Most recently was this past March right at the start of the CV-19 outbreak. My close friend also received a summons for the same court (Everett) for the same day. We both are considered to be in the high risk category for CV19. There is a space on the summons to explain to the court clerk why you want to be excused. We both stated that we were following CDC guidelines to avoid crowded spaces and therefore would not be reporting for jury duty. We each also explained to the clerk that the amount we would be paid would not cover our expenses for serving, therefore causing each of us an economic hardship. We were both excused. One of the questions on the portion of the summons that you are supposed to return to the court clerk asks if you can serve as an impartial jurer. I answered NO. I explained that I am old and cranky, judgmental and opinionated. I am not impartial. In addition, I don't see or hear very well any more either. If you have valid health concerns you should not have any problems getting excused.