Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:48 am 
New book out this year; The River that Made Seattle - a Human and Natural History of the Duwamish, by BJ Cummings (the link is to the UW Bookstore's interview with the author). I just started it, but a friend of mine who has finished it said it will be tough to read some parts, as white settlers move in (no surprise there)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 4:57 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
FINALLY I think I've got my hands on something I'll enjoy. Robert Jackson Bennett's "Foundryside" was fantastic I thought, read it I guess close to 2 years ago. Book 2 of the trilogy came out in March or so
Man, this was disappointing. Didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first book. It was a chore getting thru it. I dinked around, reading 10 or 20 pages at a time. I finally plowed thru the last 100 pages today (out of 500).

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 5:16 pm 
Black Money by Jane Meyers (NYer) - history of the billionaires behind the rise of the radical right - Extremely well written and information dense, it's. . . . ummm. . .timely.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Toni

Toni
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 8:41 pm 
My Pandemic era of reads: "My Old Man and The Mountain" by Leif Whittaker up.gif "Beneath A Scarlet Sky" by Mark Sullivan up.gif "Long Range" by C.J. Box *Love all his books! "Eager Beavers Matter" by Ben Galdfarb (Winner of the 2019 Wilson Literary Science Writing Award) currently reading, very educational, didn't know much about beavers..... "Too Much-Never Enough" by Mary L. Trump (currently reading)

There is no Planet B
graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 9:14 pm 
Every day I read "The Daily Stoic". Appropriately named. Currently reading "The Push" by Tommy Caldwell - well written, and he readily admits that he had help with it. Recently finished: "Coyote America", "The Powell Expedition" (by Don Lago who reveals quite a bit of previously unknown info), "One Tribe at a Time" (white paper about how to fight in Afghanistan - this is a reread because I find it fascinating). Up next: "Alaska Ascents", "The Brothers K", "In Search of the Warrior Spirit", "Restless Giant", "The First Cell: And the Human Costs of Pursuing Cancer to the Last".

The only easy day was yesterday...
graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 9:20 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
just picked up a copy of this one...very interesting barepaw wrote "The Coming Plague" by Laurie Garrett is pretty good. Parts may seem dry, especially if you have no medical interest. However, she does a good job of explaining how we're all screwed.
Yup. Have you read "Deadliest Enemy"?

The only easy day was yesterday...
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 9:32 pm 
In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson Pachinko Where the Crawdads Sing The Underground Railroad The Islamic Enlightenment, scholarly treatment of political thought in Iran, Turkey, and Egypt 1790’s to present The Summer of 69 The Room where it Happened, John Boulton

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Aug 24, 2020 3:31 pm 
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51VY9i6ckiL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel a frightening post apocalyptic novel that is a bit too close to home during the corona pandemic...

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 7:52 pm 
Finished Crawdads and really liked it. Still reading Boulton but getting bored.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 7:56 pm 
Breath, by James Nestor. There are some questionable bits, but overall, an eye-opening (or nostril-opening, if you will) book about the lost art of breathing for health and performance. Summing up, Pollan-style: Breathe air. Through your nose. Not too much.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:07 pm 
Finished Boulton and Pachinko really liked Pachinko as it describes a world I visited in Japan in the early 70’s involving Koreans Yakusa and an underground society.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:09 pm 
Just started Rage, Woodwards newest. Have been hitting thrift stores for books, currently have 50+ waiting on the shelf.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 6:00 pm 
The Color of Law, By Richard Rothstein • 2017, a history of how local laws and agreements effectively removed the distinction between defacto and dejure discrimination evading the 13 and 14th amendments of the bill of rights.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:51 am 
A Man Called White, an autobiography of Walter White. First published in 1948, A Man Called White is the autobiography of the famous civil rights activist Walter White during his first thirty years of service to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. This is what intrigued me: Although an African American, White was fair-skinned, blond-haired, and blue-eyed. His ability to pass as a white man allowed him―at great personal risk―to gather important information regarding lynchings, disfranchisement, and discrimination. He chose his black heritage, embracing the discomforts of life in order to help his brothers and sisters, when he could have passed, and have enjoyed the social benefits of being white. What an awesome guy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 9:57 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
A Man Called White, an autobiography of Walter White. ...
I'm glad you explained who Walter White was, because I initially thought this would be a fictional autobiography about the lead character of Breaking Bad. dizzy.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani