Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2020-09-24 Bomber Glacier, Alaska
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 3:02 pm 
This hike had not been on my bucket list, much list any list for that matter. I figured a hike to a dying glacier would be boring and not much fun without a peak mixed in for good measure. My buddy Nick invited me along and wanting to develop friendships I decided to go and also found a nearby peak to hopefully summit. We started from the Reed Lakes TH around 9:00 and the first bit was wide and flat.
We saw snow on the distant peaks and were excited to get up and play. We followed the trail and it crossed the creek a few time before settling on the left side. Nick led the way and jumped over a rather muddy section. Me with my non-jumping abilities jumped into the mud and lost a shoe when I went to pull my foot out. Lucky for me Nick retrieved my mud covered but not filled shoe. We reached Lower Reed Lake in short order and only briefly stopped.
We continued onward to Upper Reed Lake where new snowfall was gradually melting away.
From there it was up the rocky slope to a saddle high above.
Finally we reached the saddle and looked down onto the Bomber Glacier Basin.
Nick used a fixed rope to descend a steep slab as I traversed around the slab and into a least a foot deep of snow.
We crossed the dying glacier and reached the crashed Boeing TB-29 Superfortress Bomber.
We stayed a took pics for about a half hour. It was a surreal environment as 6 airmen has been lost in the crashed, the remaining 4 survived until they were rescued. The crash was on November 15, 1957 After enough time of reflecting, we began the trip back to the saddle.
Once back on the saddle our slippery mission was ahead of us, getting down the snow covered rocks/boulders safely.
We both had our share of falls on the way down, luckily none causing any injury.
Finally we reached Upper Reed Lakes and the tricky part was behind us. From here there was only a boulder section to cross along the creek.
We had a great time and I'm glad that he dragged me to the glacier. Oh, we passed on summiting Lynx Mountain in favor of going for the summit another time when the rock are with covered completely with snow or next summer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pm 
Beautiful scenery. That wreck looks fascinating.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 7:01 pm 
Did you climb Lynx Peak while you were there? That's a really fun peak!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 7:39 pm 
Cool report. The crash is surprisingly intact compared to wrecks I've seen. Hard to believe that 4 people survived.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 11:24 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Did you climb Lynx Peak while you were there? That's a really fun peak!
We passed on it this go around. The skies were threatening on our way back up to the saddle and we already had enough snow covered rocks to contend with for one day. I'll return next summer and circumnavigate the glacier hitting up about 3-4 peaks.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 7:33 am 
Awesome! From the pass the ridge direct is a fun scramble, but you can also just traverse the snow on the upper glacier if short on time. I went up the ridge and down on the snow from the trail to the lakes on the other side. I actually saw the crash only from above. Cool place

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com