Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Olympus 9/12/20-9/13/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dustin Trails

Dustin Trails
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:39 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
So these were park employees involved in the goat reduction project? Unfortunate that they acted like jerks.
I don't know the status of their employment, my best guess is that they are contractors for the park and not full-fledged park employees. Also, to their credit they were not overtly jerks to us and probably felt they were just offering good advice. It just struck a long time annoyance of mine which is when people question your start time but can't really answer why it needs to be different, other than "that's just how it's done". In this case, these people were adamant that you must start climbing at midnight. Basically all interactions I have had with national park employees have been positive and I have been especially impressed by the professionalism of the climbing rangers I interact with at Mount Rainier.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:43 am 
Dustin Trails wrote:
I don't know the status of their employment
They are technically volunteers. Definitely a big FYI to those headed out to the park this week and next, that civilians (vetted and trained) are traveling up there with rifles More info here: ONP Goat Hunt 2020

silence

silence
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 1:39 pm 
As you climbers already know, there are 2 routes to Tom. But, I just did a little research because we too had wanted to get up there after climbing Olympus, and figured we'd go via the abandoned Tom Creek and LOTG trail. Anyhow, I stumbled upon this little bit of insight from Larry on NWH you might want to consider: "Mount Tom, and the lakes north of the glacier, the locally named "Lakes of the Gods", are much easier via the White Glacier. On the west end of the Snow Dome, there is a steep gully leading down to the White Glacier - used a short rope for a handline, and left it there for coming back up. My partner and I took about half a dozen turns with the skis, but we couldn't ski the whole glacier due to whiteout conditions." Tom and the White Glacier taken somewhere from the upper Hoh trail in Jul, 2009
BTW ... I'm only trying to get you guys stoked to do it whichever route so I can live vicariously thru you and your great photos. Maybe a loop so I can see it all?

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan